Would this Peace $ straight grade??

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by mullah, Oct 5, 2019.

1. mullah

mullah Member

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Evan8

Evan8 A Little Off Center

Im willing to bet it has been cleaned. The untoned areas are probably super white from a being cleaned. The pic has been edited to make it look fairly normal IMO. Stay away.

4. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I see a lot of damage (deep gouges) on both sides. I wouldn't straight grade it. That and $15 will buy you 2 slices of avocado toast.
    P1.png P2.png

Last edited: Oct 5, 2019
    PlanoSteve and Penna_Boy like this.
  5. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

It might, but it would be no higher than MS60.

6. LA_Geezer

LA_Geezer Well-Known Member

Don't know about the cleaning, but @Michael K is clear enough why this one should be avoided.

7. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's a common Philly peace dollar with oil slick toning. Too baggy for me and I wouldn't waste the asking price on something so common......even if the tonning is legit.

8. ewomack

ewomack 魚の下着

You can find a lot better things to do with that amount of money. Putting it in a savings account may even yield superior returns.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I think it is AU.

I don't think the marks are excessive, and really don't have any problem with them. These marks will definitely not keep an AU coin out of a slab.

I am actually leaning towards the toning on this coin being natural. I can't explain much more right now than that it "feels right."

Really, the only reason to not buy this coin is that price is *extremely high,* even for a toned Peace$.

If it were in NGC or PCGS clothing at 61 or 62, I might consider it because naturally toned Peace dollars are really rare. But for a raw coin that I think is probably AU? Not a chance.

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

It's pretty in the images. It looks AU to me.

11. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

It's bloody 'common'. I can't believe how many times people try to make rarities out of otherwise common coins......

Randy Abercrombie and Penna_Boy like this.
  12. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I’m gonna go against the grain here and say I think the toning looks applied. It has that “oil slick” kind of look, and there’s little evidence of elevation chromatics. I would avoid this one.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  13. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

The toning is fairly limited in scope, and the relief is notoriously low on the Peace. So, elevation chromatics might not be the most useful on this coin.

However, even in a limited extent it appears correct - notice the shift in the pink band on the Y of Liberty. Notice the general lack of toning on the rays of the crown. What elevation is here is toned appropriately, I think.

green18 likes this.
  14. Mainebill

Mainebill Bethany Danielle

I think the toning looks natural but secondary toning on a cleaned coin. Low ms or high au that got cleaned years ago to look more unc and was in a cardboard holder or album. It’s baggy and the luster is dead. Too bad the color wasn’t on a prettier example

green18 likes this.
  15. rte

rte Well-Known Member

Yeah....NO.
    Nice pocket piece for $15....

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Due to the recent sheer number of toned Peace dollars popping up, I don’t trust any of them. That one is a money burner waiting for a buyer to happen.

Penna_Boy likes this.
  17. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

The Y is fine, but look at ERT and VST. only the R has a vague hint of color change over it. The rest of it looks painted on.

18. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The coin lost a fight with a garbage disposal and has unattractive toning, juiced in the picture. Even if it would grade, it's not worth buying.

19. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Even if it did it’s a cull piece of trash. Not worth more than melt.

20. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Even if it straight graded, it wouldn't get an MS -- nor an AU.

21. wannahocalugie

wannahocalugie New Member

This one is rough and was kept in an old medicine bottle, but looks more authentic than that.

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted