Would this 1830 CBH cross at PCGS XF40?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Oct 19, 2017.

1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Right now it's in an ICG EF45 slab which seems likely over-graded. The plastic is on the rough side even after a slab renew polish, but I like the darker look for my slabbed bust half collection. Wouldn't mind crossing it for a new home if it would likely grade at 40.

*It's an O-119 so the shield was flat-struck.
    *The scratches in the left field on the OBV are on the slab..

Thanks in advance for opinions.

1830 CBH_Crop OBV.png 1830 CBH_Crop REV.png

Last edited: Oct 19, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I am in at 40 or better. I like this look.

CircCam likes this.
  4. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I'm a big fan of the crusty busties. :D

....Man, the reverses on this variety throw me off. It's really evident on this 63 from Heritage.

5. Pickin and Grinin

I thinks it is still a different die pairing.

6. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I agree. Should be a solid 40, with maybe a shot at 45 on a good day.

I wouldn't try crossing it in the ICG plastic, though. Not unless you put "cross at any grade". I usually crack out and submit raw, and now that I think of it, I've never attempted a true crossover wherein I sent coins to a TPG in another TPG's holder.

CircCam likes this.
  7. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Go for it, should go 40

CircCam likes this.
  8. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I see no reason why not.

CircCam likes this.
  9. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Cool, thanks for taking a look guys.

From the 63 you mean? The date looks a bit different to me but the other markers seem to line up. Curious what you're seeing if I missed something.

I think the TPG's may call the 119 Small O.

10. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

I think it is a O-119

CircCam likes this.
  11. Pickin and Grinin

I am not the best at these Overton #'s, it usually takes me quite some time, The shield on your coin doesn't seem to have the weakness that the others had.

I am sure you got it right, And Frank clarified it.
    Nice CBH.

CircCam likes this.
  12. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Seems best. Effect on the grade aside, I want to crack it to get a look at the edge before it goes back in plastic. :)

13. coinzip

coinzip Well-Known Member

XF all day long.... what number the gods would assign is dependant upon what service you select....

CircCam likes this.
  14. okbustchaser

okbustchaser I may be old but I still appreciate a pretty bust Supporter

Both coins are O-119 which is actually the "medium 0--the only medium 0 for the year.

Mine...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Edit to add answer to OP's question (and ask one of my own)....Yes, I think it would cross as a 40. My question then becomes "Why bother? In its current slab it's a 180 to 200 dollar coin. In a PCGS-40 slab it's a 180 to 200 dollar coin. Its authenticity is already assured. Why spend the extra money?

2nd edit to state that my first edit was after Pickin and Grinin posted his like.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    gronnh20 and Pickin and Grinin like this.
  15. lordmarcovan

There is the matter of that very faint hairline that runs out in front of Liberty's nose on the OP coin, but my money says that gets a pass and is considered acceptable rather than causing a "details" grade. The rest of that coin certainly has the eye appeal to more than compensate. That whisper-thin hairline wouldn't bother me at all as long as it's toned over and doesn't catch the light from different angles with the coin in hand.

Straight 40-grade, I say.

Edit: ah, yes. Sorry. You mentioned in the OP that this hairline is on the plastic. I forgot. Excellent news.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
    CircCam likes this.
  16. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Really the only reason I would bother is that the slab is pretty scratched up- the scratch that lordmarcovan mentioned in particular is deep enough to cast a shadow over the coin in hand and it's distracting.

That could be solved by cracking it out, but I have a collection of slabbed bust halves going and I don't mind paying to have it graded to keep it protected and in the same row in the box.

If there's a company that slabs coins just as well as the TPG's for 1/4 of the price, I'd be open to that too. Haven't needed to bother with this question over the state of the plastic before.

17. lordmarcovan

ANACS is a good lower-priced TPG that would be fine for something like this, I reckon.

Personally, I am a drinker of the PCGS Kool-Aid (mostly by virtue of their TrueView photography service provided by Phil Arnold), but that doesn't mean I'm a complete zealot on the subject by any means.

18. lordmarcovan

PS- tried plastic polish on that slab?

19. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Good point, ANACS would be fine by me.

Yeah, we tried Slab Renew at the LCS and Scratch Out. Did great on the little guys but that big scratch would not surrender. It's not the end of the world, just a slight annoyance I'd like to remedy since I view these the most. Gotta keep the BHD in check with regular viewings. ;)

Draft saved Draft deleted