Would the Forum Experts please comment on these two coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by nohope587, Oct 11, 2007.

1. nohope587

nohope587 Senior Member

There is a story behind these two coins that I will elaborate on at a later date.
    Some of you may already know it
    I would welcome comments about grades and or anything you might want to say in
    general about these two coins.

Once again thank you for taking time out of your busy day.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

no hope:
    Well, the 1864 is a large motto.
    Hard to tell for sure, but the 1865 may be a repunched date, look between the 8 & the 6.

Nice coins, I am sure that others will disagree, but they may unc.

4. nohope587

nohope587 Senior Member

Treashunt
    Its a fancy 5 variety the mark you can see is a die crack that runs from the bottom of the 1 to the mid point of the 5 its an indicator of a specific variety of fancy 5

5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

sure, but I was sure that you knew that, about the fancy 5.

6. nohope587

nohope587 Senior Member

Its part of the reason I am asking everyone to look at these two coins. I want to see what others see in them. I am more than happy that you saw something in the date..

7. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

To me, it looks like the 1864 was cleaned a long time ago. Could be wrong though.
    Guy~

8. De Orc

De Orc Well-Known Member

Well I am no expert but what I do know is that I like them a lot :bow:

9. mike98024

mike98024 Senior Member

Great coins! There is nothing like seasoned copper with that mottled toning to give me a case of "the wants". The 1864 does appear to have cleaning marks over the leaves on the right side, but I suppose it is possible that the planchet had striations running throught it prior to the strike. In any case, I would call them unc. Are you sure the 1865 is not a repunched date? Congrats on some fine coins!

10. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

<------------------ hardly a forum expert, but

Frank:

I for one, agree, those coins are unc or at worst lightly rubbed (way back then) and then toned over the next 100 years or so. If those grade lower than 58, I will eat my hat.

11. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

No matter what, those are some nice coins. I've said it before, but any time you can find one with the "WE" intact, it's a great find.
    Guy~

12. WoodenSpoon Boy

WoodenSpoon Boy New Member

I dont think the first ones been cleaned , seems like the actual metal mixture itsself

13. nohope587

nohope587 Senior Member

they have both been in the hands of so called TPG experts and cleaning was never mentioned.

14. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

The '64 has several large patches of hairlines. While I cannot detect any sign of circulation on either coin, they both appear to have been lightly thumbed in spots. Probably to remove unsightly toning in the fields.

15. Arizona Jack

Arizona Jack The Lincoln-ator

Excellent pictures !!!!

Don't know much about 2 cent coins but they both look attractive

16. JeromeLS

JeromeLS Coin Fanatic

Very attractive AUNCs, nearly mint state, nice toning. 1865 has an amnolity on the top of the 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted