Would Love to Learn a Bit More About Shattered Dies

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Abramthegreat, Sep 30, 2026 at 8:05 PM.

  1. Abramthegreat

    Abramthegreat Well-Known Member

    Its been a while since I posted something of my own, so here goes. I set this 1967 Washington quarter aside while roll hunting a while back and wanted to get the community's thoughts on the die state.

    The marks across the surface are raised rather than incuse (as I tried to capture with side-angled photos), which leads me away from standard post-mint damage, but I'm trying to determine if this crosses the threshold into a true shattered die or if it's just severe die cracking/erosion- or even just unusual PMD.

    Thoughts?

    20260530_171037.jpg

    20260530_171058.jpg

    20260930_174147.jpg

    20260930_174234.jpg

    20260930_174502.jpg
     
    Tall Paul likes this.
  2. Avatar

    Guest User Guest



    to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

    physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

    Wow, I don't think I've ever seen a Washington quarter so advanced. Usually they replace them long before this happens - or it happened very suddenly. It's also fairly unusual to see both sides shattered at the same time, but I guess it's possible.

    If my response wasn't enough... yeah, this absolutely qualifies for a near-terminal shattered die. Those dies didn't strike much more after that!
     
    Tall Paul likes this.
  4. Tall Paul

    Tall Paul Supporter! Supporter

    Good to see you posting AtG.
     

Share This Page