Would love to get everyones opinion of the grade and value of 1866 s Double Eagle

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Ugakoivet1, Dec 17, 2011.

1. Ugakoivet1

Ugakoivet1 New Member

I am being offered this 1866 s Double Eagle "no motto" for $2,300. My biggest concerns are what is the grade of this coin. I am fairly new and I could make a case from anywhere in the XF40-AU53 range and would love everyones opinion. If I buy it I want to get it professionally graded and slabbed but I am also worried about gettting the dreaded "improperly Cleaned" label slapped on it. For the life of me I can not tell about the cleaning.

So...
    1) what is the grade
    2) what is it worth
    3) Do you see any evidence of it being inproperly cleaned

Thanks in advance for everyones opinion! photo 1.JPG photo 2.JPG photo 3.JPG photo 4.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ugakoivet1

Ugakoivet1 New Member

Here are 2 closer photos. If anyone needs any closer images I can try to get them, these are pics that were sent to me. Thanks, this is just my first post and am excited about finding this website!! Front Close.jpg Coin back.jpg

4. DW-coins

DW-coins Slave to coins...

It looks like a reasonable AU double eagle to me, based solely on the photos. However, I would think you could get that same coin in a slab for about the same price, if not a little less. And buying it already graded removes any worry of improper cleaning or being a counterfeit. Buying raw only makes sense when you thoroughly know the item inside and out (in which case you would know whether it had been cleaned or not) AND you're getting a price break at least equal to the cost of having it graded. Now if this were a no-motto double eagle, that would be another story.

5. Ugakoivet1

Ugakoivet1 New Member

THere is just such a big difference value difference between a AU50, AU53, or even a AU55. Especially in the 1866 s series. Of course Motto would be an amazing find!!

6. DW-coins

Well, roll the dice and maybe you come up a winner! The only thing I can add is you're playing a risky game that is best played when you've researched the series and know exactly what a coin will grade before you submit it for grading. Anything else is just plain gambling

7. DW-coins

8. Ugakoivet1

Ugakoivet1 New Member

An 1866 s Double Eagle?

The Last few Heritage Auctions had most AU50's at $3100 and the AU55's at $9000. That is why I am so interested in the coin but I am also just learning. Not sure it is in AU condition.

9. Ugakoivet1

Ugakoivet1 New Member

Very true, anyone else have anything to add. I would love multiple opinions.

10. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

Get that coin into some type of holder, even if its a 2x2 flip. You would be surprised how much a simple finger print degrades a coins value. Nice piece though.

11. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

It is pretty rough to try and determine from photos if a coin is AU-50,53,55. You need it in hand to see the luster as you turn it, and the wear lines. Then if you submit it to a grading company, it is a whole other gamble. If I had it in hand and could tell the luster was only broken in the wear areas, no cleaning lines or altered surfaces, and it was for my own collection, no slab needed, then yes.

If the thought is to eventually flip it for cash. Get a slabbed one, as there would be much less concern.

Welcome!

Jim

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

#3 - yes, maybe.

Forget that coin and buy one already slabbed.

13. Ugakoivet1

Ugakoivet1 New Member

Come on there are more of you out there with an opinion, let me hear it.

14. Quit handling 19th century gold coins with your bare fingers.

***EDIT Didn't read thoroughly enough. It's the sellers hands. And after seeing that I would pass.

15. Porsche2007

Porsche2007 Senior Member

AU details
    I would say that it is worth about 2600$
    Yes

16. DW-coins

I think the fact that you know so little about this coin (or coins in general) that you are asking strangers on a web board our opinion as to whether or not to plop down $2300 tells you everything you need to know.

Draft saved Draft deleted