Would love help with another 1922 Lincoln!

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Traci281, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Hi All! This Lincoln cent is VERY worn. I tried to get as close a shot as I could. I looked at this coin with a 16x magnifying glass and I do see a D, barely. Even with the magnifier I can't tell if the wheat ears have ever had lines. I looked at the website with the 1922 Lincoln dies, it was very informative but there are so many indicators I was hoping someone with knowledge of Lincolns can tell me more. I don't collect Lincolns and would like to sell it. Would this be just a regular 1922 D and any idea what it would sell for? Thanks so much!:)

IMG_2440.jpg IMG_2437.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

Let me ask you a question. Is the reverse aligned with the front. If it is off set, which direction and how much?

4. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

I would never have even noticed that! Please bear with me, I know little about coins. When I look at the front of the coin squarely and then flip it, it is cocked slightly to the left. I don't really know how to tell how much. Mabye 11 o'clock or so. I can try to get another picture if that would help you. Thanks!

5. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

That coin I believe is Die #3. I would also guess that it will come back as a weak "D" rather than a no "D". I am pretty sure I can make out enough of a D to keep it from being a no "D". You have it in hand, can you make out a hint of the "D" - that is using a loupe?

6. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

Yes, I can see a very light D. It's barely visible, even with a magnifier I guess because it's so worn?

7. rlm's cents

rlm's cents Numismatist

No. It was not much better when struck. However, that means it is worth about $30-$50 in stead of $300+

8. Traci281

Traci281 New Member

:)Ok well that's great to know. I don't want to tell anyone wrong. Thanks!:)

9. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Weak D, I can see a trace of it, probably DP3.

The coin really isn't very worn, that's just how it's struck. It's a F-VF coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted