Would like opinion on authenticity of tetradrachm (Athens)

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Matthew D, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Matthew D

Matthew D New Member

Hi Guys,

Been reading for years, now finally have a question that I'd like someone's opinion on.
    Looking to buy this coin from a reputable website (VCoins), would really appreciate your input. I am somewhat newer to ancients and there none of my LCS have experience in them.

Any help is appreciated, let me know should you need anymore info.

Thanks,
    Matt

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TypeCoin971793

TypeCoin971793 Just a random guy on the internet

I’m not an expert, but it looks good to me

Paul M. likes this.
  4. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Looks perfectly fine to me. Was there something about it that made you question its authenticity?

Paul M. likes this.
  5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

AND once again, I agree with @TIF

Paul M. likes this.
  6. Matthew D

Matthew D New Member

I would have liked to see the (dot) in the O, but I know that doesn't always mean much. I guess the part that threw me off is the "discount" from the seller. Asking price was 1300.00 (a little over priced), I asked for his best price and he came back with 850.00

Sounds a little on the inexpensive side for the coin in this condition. Thanks guys for the quick responses.

Matt

7. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

A hoard of thousands hit the market in the summer. Maybe he thinks the price will drop. I dont think it will.

8. Matthew D

Matthew D New Member

I feel the same as you do. Well, I just ordered the coin; thanks for the supporting confidence.

9. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Prices may or may not drop. I have already seen some auction houses put some of these up with starting prices half of what I know the cost to be. Its a risky move. If the auction is not well attended they will not get the bids they need to cover their cost. Thus, well, in a way the prices might drop. Sometimes its just a game. I always have my eye on many things. There were some lovely items in the last Leu auction, many which started about 5-10% of the eventual hammer. Could have been disastrous if for some reason people were not bidding. But occasionally coins do fall through the cracks.

I think for the price you got a very nice coin and should be very happy. Enjoy it!

Jay GT4 likes this.
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

The question I have yet to see answered is whether the large number of really decent tetradrachms is representative of what was found or if the dealers that are showing the $2k coins fully truthful when they say they got to pick the cream of the crop so there are also many losers. What I have seen in the high end coins will not cause any reduction in the price for these. It could even cause the price to go up since there will be no problem getting really nice examples and many people want them. The question is how many coins were found that have noses off flan, poorly struck owls or other problems. The market will absorb a few thousand. Ten thousand dogs will be harder to move. IMHO, the $2000 examples I saw at a show were easily worth double this coin. It will be years until we know the effect on what exists.

Be honest: If you found 1000 perfect owls, how many would you send to market all at once? Same question for 100,000??? If there is a coin that the market could absorb in that quantity without killing the price it would be nice style owls. I would not expect anyone to tell how many there are.

11. Jay GT4

Jay GT4 Well-Known Member

I heard 30 000 owls in the hoard and some Aspendos staters with the Hoplite and triskeles. The ones I saw in person were absolutely gorgeous and worth every penny.

12. Beginner345

Beginner345 Active Member

13. pprp

pprp Well-Known Member

This "hoard" hit the market much earlier, the first ones were auctioned in June 2016 by CNG. Most probably this "hoard" is coming from Syria and I am puzzled of its contents as it seems to be containing archaic owls along with Starr IV-V and mass coinage. I haven't seen die matches between the auctioned pieces which would make some sense if the hoard was originally issued for trade reasons.

If the numbers given here are true, we are talking about 400-500 kg of silver. How did this quantity pass through the borders and who is the consignor in all these auctions? Is it a group of persons consigning? It is evident that the "hoard" didn't arrive in the usual laundry gateway in Germany. So what happened? Did one person sell parts of the "hoard" to different auction houses and do the auction houses "consign" the coins to their own auctions to get the buyer's fee as well?

Orielensis likes this.
  14. Matthew D

Matthew D New Member

Thanks Beginner, found the read helpful. This aspect of collecting is by far the most frustrating. The constant paranoia of wondering what is real and what isnt can become quite taxing over time. At least for me, it's not so much about the financial loss but the knowing that what your holding was made by some thief with the sole purpose to dupe buyers.

Mattd

Theodosius and Beginner345 like this.
  15. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

Beginner 345, thanks for posting this link, I did download it :watching:. These coins have been so popular for so long the total number of fakes must be staggering :wacky:.....

Beginner345 likes this.
  16. Multatuli

Multatuli Homo numismaticus

If you look carefully inside de "O", you will see that the dot is inside, almost erased. Perhaps the impression of the dot in the die was not very visible, either by natural wear or by more superficial confection of the dot.

Paul M. likes this.
  17. Beginner345

Your welcome AL!

Yeah I am pretty sure that the Athenian Owls are the most faked Ancient coins ever

Its a real shame. they are very beautiful coins. I want to own a decent one but I am such a cheapskate. LMAO ill keep looking though

Theodosius likes this.
  18. Beginner345

Your welcome Mattd

19. google1

google1 New Member

Hi guys,

The increase or the protrusion on the right eye mean! some patina increase or somthing els in the original coin.
    Is it right?.

20. medoraman

medoraman Supporter! Supporter

Really? I own a few, but have always thought they were overrated. Yeah, nice and chunky, but never thought the design was much. Best thing about it is how ubiquitous it is, an ancient coin you can occasionally see depicted in popular culture.

Victor_Clark likes this.
  21. Beginner345

it just seems they are so sought after that's another reason why I want one.

Draft saved Draft deleted