Would it straight grade?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CoinBreaux, Oct 18, 2017.

1. CoinBreaux

CoinBreaux Well-Known Member

Several months ago I picked up this 1861 Seated Liberty Half Dollar in Gettysburg on a trip. After putting it aside for several months, due to more important issues, into the Dansco it went. However, sometime between July and now the coin must have been rubbing against something. I'm guessing that it fell out of its slip and rubbed against the bottom of my suitcase. Dissapointing, to say the least, but do you think it still has a change of straight grading? The scratches are mainly on the reverse. I know grading is extremely subjective, but I would like to hear some thoughts. In the spirit of war, do you think it would receive a details grade Over There?

IMG_0406.JPG
    IMG_0413.JPG

Last edited: Oct 18, 2017
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. TONYBRONX

TONYBRONX Well-Known Member

THE BOOK VALUE FOR A VG-8 - F-12, 1861 HALF DOLLAR IS BETWEEN $60.00-$75.00. YOU HAVE TO DECIDE IF ITS WORTH THE GRADING FEES! HOPE THIS HELPS YOU A LITTLE!

4. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

Might have cost you a grade but should still probably straight grade

5. samclemens3991

samclemens3991 Well-Known Member

I would grade your coin vf 35. It has a full liberty but lacks some dress detail. Spotting on obverse near head could be problematic. so I don't know if it would straight grade

6. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I would be concerned about the rim damage at 12, 4, and 7 o'clock. In addition to the other issues already mentioned... Well, I won't tell you what to do, but if it were mine I wouldn't think it would straight grade and the value of the coin just isn't worth it (unless I could get it graded for $8-10, so maybe as part of an ANACS Insider deal?) But spending $20-30 plus shipping both ways probably kills the value of getting it graded (for me, anyway.)

Paddy54 likes this.
  7. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I think it will straight grade VF25, rim dings and all.

C-B-D likes this.
  8. Omegaraptor

Omegaraptor Gobrecht/Longacre Enthusiast

It looks unnatural to me, possibly cleaned.

9. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I was going to say VF30, but it should straight grade.

Draft saved Draft deleted