Worthless Attributes

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by coin-crazy, Nov 1, 2010.

1. coin-crazy

coin-crazy Senior Error Searcher

There are many minor doubled dies out there like ,extra knees and columns and so on. Im curious to know how guys feel about, wasting your time and money.Just to have a coin attributed and its so called worth is one dollar or less.I think its a waste of good money and time to spend 10 dollars on a one dollar investment.I rather save 10 dollars then to literally throw it away.It just doesnt make any sense to me.I have a few new so called '' discoveries'' but there going to sit there until some other guy claims glory.LoL.Even if I tried to sell this coin ,everyone else makes money but me.So would you go through the trouble?? I was just reading some of the requirements to start the attribution process as follows:
    1. IMPORTANT - Include a complete inventory of packaged items with your submission. Include the date, mint, and grade of each coin, along with a detailed explanation of what you see on the coin that warrants attribution. Also include (neatly printed or typed) your mailing address and your e-mail address on the inventory. If an inventory is not sent with the coins, the coins will not be attributed, and will be sent back to the owner at their expense. This is to cut down on time spent guessing why a coin was sent, and gives us a complete inventory of the contents of the package for repackaging.
    2. A shipping and handling fee of $5 will apply to each submission received. This pays for packaging materials, postage, and insurance. ALL packages mailed out from our office will AT A MINIMUM be insured. Delivery confirmation or registered mail is optional at the submittors expense at exact postal service charges in addition to the basic $5 shipping and handling fee.
    3. An attribution fee of $3 per coin is to be sent in addition to shipping and handling with each submission. Each coin submitted warrants by itself the $3 fee. If you send 5 coins in your submission, the attribution fee is $15.
    4. DO NOT SUBMIT COINS IN STAPLED HOLDERS! Coins submitted in stapled holders will NOT be opened for photography, which means any new die submitted in a stapled holder will be returned unattributed at the owner's expense. If you need flips, send $2.00 to the Brookline Station, Mo. address (or use Paypal) and we will send 20 flips to you in the mail.
    5. Submissions accepted and sent via USPS (United States Postal Service) ONLY. No submissions will be accepted through United Parcel Service (UPS) or Federal Express (FedEx), and none will be sent via these or any other methods either.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. vnickels

vnickels Matt Draiss Numismatics & Galleries

Maybe. But look at Extra Leaf High/Low. Big bucks there and a guy on fleabay sold a complete set and a regular one for less than 2 bucks
    or somethin cheap like that

4. WashQuartJesse

WashQuartJesse Member Supporter

"Im curious to know how guys feel about, wasting your time and money.Just to have a coin attributed and its so called worth is one dollar or less.I think its a waste of good money and time to spend 10 dollars on a one dollar investment.I rather save 10 dollars then to literally throw it away.It just doesnt make any sense to me."

Definition of NUMISMATICS
    : the study or collection of coins, tokens, and paper money and sometimes related objects (as medals)
    — nu·mis·ma·tist\nü-ˈmiz-mə-tist, nyü-\ noun

http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/numismatics

5. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

You can subscribe to Error Trends Coin Magazine and get free attribution. All you pay for is shipping both ways...

6. ikandiggit

ikandiggit Currency Error Collector

I study and collect coins because I enjoy it. If I find a variety, I label it and put it in my collection. I try to find out what caused it and if someone else finds one, I try to pass the information on.

Glory doesn't play any role in it. If someone wants to attribute it, fine but I'm content with having one that I found.

I have dozens of RPM's. I found them while roll/hoard hunting. They have a value according to various websites but try to sell one.

I, also collect worthless coins because I find them interesting. Some have no value at all but that doesn't diminish the joy I find in looking at them. Here are some of my favorite "worthless" coins:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The following, I found while metal detecting. They're chopped up coins by the lawnmowers. I keep them all, for no other reason than I like them.

[​IMG]

I spend just as much time looking at these as I do the rest of my collection and I enjoy them just as much just in a different way.

7. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

I do not view variety coins as major or minor - I am more intersted in whether a coin exhibits enough unique die characteristics allowing me to attribute it to the specific working die that struck it.

8. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

cc - I know what you are talking about and basically stand on the same side of the fence as you do. To my way of thinking the practice of identifying minor varieties has gone too far. Yes, it is still a valid area of study and I have no problem with those who have an interest in such study doing so. But it's the marketing aspects that bother me I guess.

Ever since the popularity of ebay took off it seems as if people have been hyping this or hyping that variety, assigning catchy names and assigning outrageous values to coins that are no more deserving of those values than a common coin found with a metal detector. And they do all this to take advanatge of those who are gullible enough to buy into the hype.

Personally, major varieties, those that can be seen with the naked eye, or those that have entirely different design elements, have and always have had a deserved place in our hobby. But when you need a 60 power stereo-microscope just to see the differences - nah, count me out on those.

Draft saved Draft deleted