Worth the Premium?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by 5dollarEdunote, Mar 13, 2011.

1. 5dollarEdunote

5dollarEdunote Coin Connoisseur

Hello collectors,

Today I bought my first true toner. It is a 1956 D dime, MS 66 w/ awesome reverse toning. It is worth $15 for your average 66 dime, but I know that rainbow toning increases the price so I did just that, by $20 ($35.00 including shipping) Is it worth it, in your opinion, to spend that much over the original value?

Here it is:

1956-D Roosevelt Dime NGC MS66 Rainbow Toned ~COLORFUL~

Sorry it is not a direct link.Thanks

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. BALD SPARTAN

BALD SPARTAN Member

I believe toned coins will always command a high price because some people just love them. If you like it and plan on keeping it in your collection for your enjoyment then I say it was a good deal. If your worried about not being able to recoupe your buying price on a resale in the near future then you may be paying to much. Toned coins are selling at crazy prices and one things for sure (nobody knows the future) so buy what you like and try to get them at the best deal you can.

4. 1066merlin

1066merlin ANA#R3157534

I agree, if you like it you didn't pay to much, if your going to second guess the purchase maybe you did. This is why I only buy coins that I really like. From and investment point of view prices go up and they go down, it is to hard if not impossable to know which way it will go. If you buy what you like it doesn't really matter.

5. kanga

kanga 65 Year Collector

Rainbow toned coins are a personal preference although there is ample evidence that it is now a marketing factor.
    But unlike a "white" NGC MS66 coin, there is no price guide for toned coins that I know of.
    So how much you pay depends upon research and your desire to have the coin.

That being said, I won't pay extra for a rainbow toned coin.
    If I buy an uncirculated coin I want it to look as it did when it left the Mint.
    And coins that have been in circulation don't get rainbow toning.
    Only coins that have been stored away get that sort of toning (I'm talking NT).

But I have to admit that uncirculated Jefferson nickels that have acquired a golden or subtle rainbow toning are quite appealing.
    I guess they appeal to me because it's a "gentle" toning, not an "in your face" type that is often seen on other coins.

Draft saved Draft deleted