Worth taking the plunge??

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Clad the Impaler, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  2. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

Im always weary about auctions that don't provide pics of both sides, especially when the pic provided is as clear as this one.

3. There's a pic of both sides further down in the description.

rickmp and Clutchy like this.
  4. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

It's up to you, but it looks like it has been dipped and wiped.

ddollard58, medjoy and Clutchy like this.
  5. Taxidermist

Taxidermist Collector of US/IL/RU/DE

And scratched.

And its not a real auction. Judging by listing creation date, you`re safe to wait and think about it for a few more days.

Start Time: Wednesday, 03-Apr-13 18:17:53 UTC

End Time: Friday, 23-Jan-15 18:17:53 UTC

Unless someone in here is now interested. :D

ddollard58 likes this.
  6. mikem2000

mikem2000 Lost Cause

I don't like the coin. Scratches are a bit nasty, I would pass.

7. Thanks. I agree. Decided I'm gonna pass and look for something else. Thanks.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

He has nearly 100% feedback and nearly 83,000 sales so I would contact him and ask if it's been cleaned or dipped. And if he states not, save the email for your protection if needed.

9. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

His feedback is nearly 100% with 14 complaints in the last 12 months. Check the negative feedbacks and see he is not very good at follow ups on the complaints. After 83,000 sales total I guess he is entitled to a few slip ups but contact him first with your questions and see if he answers. And then make your decision. This is about the going price for an raw AU Barber dime so it's not exactly a bargain.

10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I imagine that means it's been relisted many, many times. If people have been passing on it for almost two years, I guess I'd be inclined to do the same.

I've viewed many, many auctions from this seller, but I'm not sure I've bought anything there. Then again, I tend to buy only things that are fairly substantially underpriced.

tommyc03 likes this.
  11. sshafer11

sshafer11 Head Research Assistant - Coin Show Radio

Pass on it... that is not a good looking coin in my opinion. That coin will look even worse in hand.

12. coinman1234

coinman1234 Not a Well-Known Member

Very cleaned, the hairlines are very noticeable, plus it is scratched, I agree with sshafer11, that coin will look worse in hand. I would pass for sure, for that price I could get a PCGS MS-64 Morgan and a few indian head cents or a nicer circulated barber dime in around raw F-12 condition. The most I would pay for that is $15 maybe $20 considering the big problems it has but that is just me, I assume someone would pay more.

13. coinman1234

Wait! It looks like it may be a DDO or Overdate???? Is this true... I see some doubling on the date and other features.
    ddo.jpg

14. coinman1234

It is slightly better, though it looks dipped based on those bad photos. I think that this coin is a better deal and being guarantied by a profession service gives some security on the grade and surface condition.

Still, Slightly over priced.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  15. jmon

jmon Numismatist In Training

I'm interested, if he drop's the price by $60 ;)

16. coinman1234

I kind of like this Barber dime, it is around it's market price.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Barber-Silver-Dime-1911-PCGS-AU55/301180932425?_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851&_trkparms=aid=222007&algo=SIC.MBE&ao=1&asc=28794&meid=fbafbd89bb6f4f63beb639d59b2a2731&pid=100005&rk=2&rkt=6&sd=161550758094&rt=nc
    Why don't you do some auctions, You can get much better deals? I just received a beautiful 1893 Columbian Half Dollar in Great original AU condition, I paid $10.50 which includes shipping, the cheapest buy it now for the same coin is already at $15 and in horrible condition, $25 is the average price coins like the one I got are selling for in buy it now.
    It may not be a huge deal but I'm happy IMG_20150123_140954.jpg IMG_20150123_141000.jpg
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/1893-Columb...33huS1khtrjgX5UcHqONY%3D&orig_cvip=true&rt=nc

Last edited: Jan 23, 2015
  17. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

possible RPD, but looks cleaned.

make an offer, see what happens.

Draft saved Draft deleted