Worth slabbing?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Chewmassa, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

oz_in_ohio, offered a correction: "Site...not sight."

As a fairly new member, U may not relizzee that al of us are not English majors and spelling and grammar mistakes are common. Many of us are putting our thoughts down too fast and make mistakes. Let me offer a suggestion for your time here. You may wish to forget the corrections and concentrate on the message. Here's one now:

oz_in_ohio, post: 2842677, member: 89534"]Fantastic chewmassa,
    Glad to see someone like me knows how to spend his / her money wisely.... I don't use the cardboard 2 x 2 holders nor do i get items slabbed. I mainly sell the cheap end of the market and i don't feel the cost of the stationery would be worth it to sell less than $2 a coin. .If you can picture the clear plastic top of a shirt box, i cut that plastic to [the] size of the 2 x 2 holder and after [I'm] done, trim it to the size[I] want. Staple every side on the plastic.

@eddiespin Yeah, not mad, he was just starting to PYO. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Just remember when he/she goes to resell that SLABBED ITEM, he has to recover $40 ( the cost of slabbing ) plus what he/ she paid for the item just to break even.
    People of his catagory do not use numismatics as a hobby as i have seen it all before...They use it for a way to earn money on top of their yearly salary. Simply investors and not collectors.. I do not believe in high graded items as they are useless...the best to go for is middle of the range graded items and low mintages as i have done it myself in 1979 when i bought my first car. The 1925 australian penny at that time i used to pay between 15.00 and 22.00 per coin...There is only 117,000 minted worldwide and when you think the population of australia was in the millions, GO DO THE MATHS!!!! I had to have bulk of them to do so ( and i dont just mean a dozen ). I had hundreds as i was not afraid to pay the price at shows. The highest grade i bought was g/VF....Anyone can grade a coin or banknote...All they have to learn is the main points which are printed in any reference book...We do not have to keep grading companies rich but it is unfortunate that the average person thinks these companies walk on water so to speak and what ever they say is gospel....Personally i dont and as i am 60 and started this at 8 years old , those people working in those companies were possibly not even born when i began...However you all pay your $40 or so and i will do it all my way and lets see who has the most expenses or outlay.
    Once again i am uploading the grading details mentioned in the reference books.
    Who needs the grading companies if they understand all this.

On top of that, eddiespin mentioned commodity trading...Why get the items slabbed if the metal is a commodity and is really only good to be melted down to bullion if the younger generation has no intrest??

Coin Grading.jpg
    coin grading 2.jpg

4. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yeah, he was just "starting." That's all I said. Let me give you a good rule-of-thumb, for future reference. When somebody gets me mad, you won't have to guess at it.

5. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

BTW eddie, what is PYO??? Is that american slang???...It is not in the oxford dictionary.

6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Let,s cool our roll here ! the whole idea of this thread is to give some advice
    On the coin and weather to get it graded or not, but it doesnt matter coin or paper the idea is the same, cost versus reward, and i will stand my opinion and say no
    And yes i grade allot of coins to, in addition to paper, so take my advice for what its
    worth or you can theough it in the trash..LOL

7. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

OP, I count 6 yes slab so far, 2 no slab, and 2 w/no opinion. Since you got it for FREE. IMO, this should have been 10 to 0. :D

@oz_in_ohio

I'm loving your posts! Please continue.

Draft saved Draft deleted