Worth slabbing?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Chewmassa, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

Bambam8778, posted: "Well it looks like there is some doubling on the reverse."

This part of your post :watching: was a great observation!

"Not sure."

Then you questioned the very obvious doubling that YOU SAW. That's what brought out the "knives." Unfortunately, I got here too late to stab you. :D

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

It really doesn’t bother me much anymore. I personally still have issues with telling different doubling apart from one another. I came here to learn. If you feel the best way for me to learn is to “stab me” , well then have at it. Have fun actually. That’s why they have the ignore button. If everyone knew everything there was to know about coins then we wouldn’t need this sight.

4. Insider

:rolleyes: I wished to "teach you" to trust your own eyes! That doubling is very strong. I thought your use of the word "stab" was humorous :hilarious: and "picked-up on it.

I don't suggest you "ignore" anyone here if you are truly a beginner. PM me your address and I'll send you an article about doubling on coins. How's that for a "stab?" :D:p Otherwise, look up doubled die on the Web.

5. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Excuse me? This is THE DDR. It's like the 1955 DDO. Trust me when I tell you, the fees are going to be worth it, and then some.

Insider and Chewmassa like this.
  6. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Well condition is everything ! just because something is rare doesnt mean it,s
    Super valuable, condition, condition , condition is always my top consideration
    Though the coin looks good to me, it may not grade out for what ever reason
    So dont hope on the band wagon prematurely !

7. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

This is really a pretty low way to try to save face. You misled the guy. Why don't you just admit it, take your licks, and let's move on? Do you want me to reference what you said? Don't compound your misleading advice with more misleading advice. You seem like a good guy, @mpcusa. Man up to it, already. You're starting to, well, how shall I say, piss me off.

midas1 likes this.
  8. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Yes. YES. Absolutely.

I'd call it a 58.

Chewmassa likes this.
  9. mpcusa

You have your opinion, i have mine, you dont like it tough !! i said before i will
    Say it again CONDITION IS EVERYTHING WHEN HAVING SOMETHING GRADED
    and only viable, if it makes good financial sense, if it does for sure send it in,
    but he needs to be aware of all fees that are involved and if your just sending
    a single coin in and not a member of either PCGS or NGC or one of the other
    TPG grading services these cost,s can be substantial, something he needs to
    Be aware of, sense you have seemed to over look this....

Chewmassa likes this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

Yes, I think so. Barely noticeable wear on ear, hair, collar, jacket.

Chewmassa likes this.
  11. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Is a nice looking piece and love the lustre but i do not think the coin is worth the cost you will have to pay to get it slabbed and graded.....Try to look on other sites for the same date and denomination sold....It will give you an idea what people are paying for this sort of thing and show you its true worth.... For me personally, i would not spend the money on the grading and slabbing plus i cant see the double die and i placed a loupe to the screen.... I would prefer to buy a rare coin in a lower grade ( eg 1911s and 1912s wheat penny in VF - EF ) as then i know what the value history will be behnd it....Some person above mentioned DDR ... What is that other than Deutche Democratic Republik ( east germany which is now no longer ) ...OIO

12. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

Thanks everyone for your advice, input, and opinions. Taking all this into consideration I've decided not to get it slabbed... yet. I'll keep it in its current cardboard holder in a safe place and watch prices for the same coin in AU-53 to AU-55 to be conservative.

Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  13. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Fantastic chewmassa
    Glad to see someone like me knows how to spend his / her money wisely.... I dont use the cardboard 2 x 2 holders nor do i get items slabbed. I mainly sell the cheap end of the market and i dont feel the cost of the stationery would be worth it to sell less than $2 a coin. .if you can picture the clear plastic top of a shirt box, i cut that plastic to size of the 2 x 2 holder and after done, trim it to the size you want. staple every side on the plastic.
    This is for 2 reasons.
    The plastic is harder than on the cardboard holders and i do not have to pay for that plastic used.... Even the clear tops that come on the top of yoghurt containers are great as the plastic on them is even more harder and protective.... On top of that, some coin dealers have 2nd hand coin pages and they normally ask 25c ( a quarter ) a page as they are pre loved.
    I do not believe in buying new stationery and when one wants to sell the coins, the stationery is more often then not included in the buying price. 20 pocket pages are my favoutite but i also use smaller at times.
    Lastly if you study the grading notes in any coin catalogue well enough, you can grade for yourself.... These is what is stated in the book i have.... As i have been doing numismatics and philatelics for over 50 years, i never use a grading company.... OIO
    Coin Grading.jpg coin grading 2.jpg

eddiespin likes this.
  14. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

Site...not sight

eddiespin likes this.
  15. mpcusa

I think your making a good choice, I have been grading coins and currency
    For over 25 years and usually TPG grading should only be used for the
    Most valuable items as your main purpose is to authenticate a high grade
    But again as long as the math works out
    And you can get everything back and plus some, I am all for it :)

16. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

You are wrong with the most valuable...Something is only valuable if there is a market for it...The hope diamond is supposed to be valuable but who out there can afford to buy it??? if there is no one to buy it, then it is valueless .... Personally l feel the best item a collector can have is the last item they sold... Then they will have the money and not the product no matter what the price is... I know there will be arguments about this but place it in another context for me....OK??
    if you had your house up for sale and you wanted $700K for it and all you got offered was 636K, then that means the house is well overpriced and you would either have to make the decission to come down to what people are offering or wear all the fees for the adverising etc etc etc when it went on the market and not sell it. The house in realistic terms is only worth 636K as that is what someone is willing to pay for it. It can go the other way as well.... have a nice day...OIO

17. mpcusa

The bottom line, it,s only valuable if someone else thinks it is, and forget about
    The so called price guides as they really arent tuned in at the time, and i never did
    Believe most of the stuff they print anyway and to top it off it,s to old to have any
    real affect on current market trends, whats hot now a week later it,s not anymore
    Value is, and will always be based on what somebodies willing to pay and that goes for everything ! basically by slabbing you are trying to create 1) authenticity
    and 2) value. my opinion and my two cents..LOL

18. oz_in_ohio

oz_in_ohio Active Member

The older the price guide then the more the customer will pay that price as it was from long time ago and the prices of present day are much much more expensive...This is excluding silver and gold as one can always melt them.

We all have our ways of doing things. You go by your price guides and i will go by my way at selling at $1 per item....If we were both at a coin show i know i would sell out before you would and go home with an empty car which is a sellers dream. There is a saying out there and it has been around for a very very very long time. It only contains 4 small words and it will come into play in the generation growing up these days that are in college and school and especially the next generation that has not even been born yet.... We adults between the ages of 45 - 60 years that are in these threads and have the love for numismatics and philatelics will no longer be around as we will have died off due to age.... The hobby is only going downhill and i know that due to over 40 years in this field as i was a part time dealer in Australia from 1977 - 2011 and a collector from 1965 - present ( not just stamps and coins ) , i have seen the trends go both ways. However i am now retired and was living off my coin collections for nearly a decade.....The worst eras was from dianas wedding in 1981 - 1992 ( barcelona olympics ) ... Far too much was being issued and that made it way too expensive for the average collector which pushed prices of the older items down. Going back to the first part of this portion, these 4 small words are " I TOLD YOU SO ' ... That is what will come into play in the next generations and this hobby...Anyone that does not want to see it is simply fooling themselves.... If they go to coin and stamp shows, just have a look around to see how many young collectors ( or kids ) there are in attendance , the % will be miniscule. There are are few in attendance but i am sure eep down they have been forced by their parents to go and not of their own choice. I used to spend time at my kitchen table packaging coins but as my kids have no interest, i sold most on ebay and by the weight. My kids opened my eyes and from then on i just wanted to sell them....I even took pictures of them by the pound at placed them up at a start price of 4.99 on ebay in the beginning and sold that way...One person bought close to 40 pounds off me and i was so glad to see them go ( close to 1,800 items ) ... He lived in the same state as me so picked them up personally...I still have a lot more . They are in better condition than the bulk lot and more than likely i will be at a show with 1 table and sell all my stuff at $1.00 each, mainly to kill the other opposition or other dealers in prices... Sort of like a petrol company price war..I did it in Australia many times and know the ropes with very little advertising costs or overheads. I am now an american resident in ohio ...That will not happen for a while yet as i had to build up stock...As it is said, business is business and it is better to get $1 a piece than throw them all away. A lot of you and especially the the people looking after this site will disagree me but that is my 1st amendment rights in the USA. I have listed many in here already but due to the price i place on them, people think something is wrong... Well it is simply you peoples loss. Some people in this world simply want to get rid of stuff at a dirt cheap garage sale price which is me... Not everything is destroyed like i was asked a few times...Also if they were destroyed, why would i waste my time scanning both sides so buyers can have better views??? So i wish you all well paying your high prices in other items in here...have a nice day...OIO

19. Insider

eddiespin, posted: "This is really a pretty low way to try to save face. You misled the guy. Why don't you just admit it, take your licks, and let's move on? Do you want me to reference what you said? Don't compound your misleading advice with more misleading advice. You seem like a good guy, Man up to it, already. You're starting to, well, how shall I say, piss me off."

I looked back to the beginning and I see nothing @mpcusa wrote to deserve this. All he said was to make sure having the coin slabbed would be worth it. Give him some slack. The guy collects MPC's not doubled die coins. He is probably a terrific grader too - of paper!

@Chewmassa You have a beautiful coin. You can probably get it into a major grading service slab for under $40. Note that some of the "numismatists" giving you their opinion here could not even see the obvious MAJOR DOUBLING on your coin!

@eddiespin When you calm down, you should really enjoy the humor in the back-and-forth posts in this thread.

@oz_in_ohio Welcome to Cointalk. I look forward to reading more of your posts so I've added you to the list of members I follow. Most folks I follow do not interest me in such a short time but with just this thread I am very impressed.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  20. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

But the question presumed that the cost of slabbing relative to the return was his concern. In other words, it presumed commodity trading, not coin collecting. The answer is, "Yes," it's worth the cost to get it in the plastic market.

Insider likes this.
  21. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I'm not mad at him.

Draft saved Draft deleted