Worth slabbing?

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Chewmassa, Aug 20, 2017.

1. Chewmassa

Chewmassa Now where could my pipe be?

Hello again CT. I was just wondering if you think this cent is worth getting professionally graded and what general range of grades you think it would come back in if I did.
    DSCN6497.JPG
    DSCN6498.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. onecenter

onecenter Member

4. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

5. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Well it looks like there is some doubling on the reverse. Not sure.

6. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

7. Treashunt

seriously?

That is the major DDR for the year

Insider likes this.
  8. rickmp

rickmp Frequently flatulent.

Sweet find.

9. Chewmassa

What grade do you think it would get? I was thinking maybe anywhere in the 55-62 range myself, but I'm not very good at grading so I'm not sure.

10. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Absostinkinlutely!!! That is a great coin! Did you inherit it or was it a change find?

It the 1983 DDR as @Treashunt already said.

11. Bambam8778

Bambam8778 Well-Known Member

Yes seriously. I’m not full of the wexlers knowledge so I saw doubling and pointed it out. Sorry I was not aware that it was the major error for that year.

12. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Based on the images, I'm thinking AU-55 shot at 58.

Chewmassa likes this.
  13. Chewmassa

I found it looking through my jar of zincs. I started buying boxes of cents and sorting out the wheats and copper memorials from the zinc memorials and shields a few months ago. I originally was just going to reroll them all after I filled up a gallon jar, but then got the idea to look through it for varieties. I'm obviously fairly new to the finer details of coin collecting, as for a long time I was only interested in nice looking wheat pennies regardless of their rarity. I've posted this coin on these forums once before when I first found it because I wasn't sure if it was the DDR or my eyes were playing tricks on me. Needless to say I'm very glad I decided to take a second look at my zincs before rerolling.

P.S. The picture is from when I first found the coin. It is now calling a 1.5x1.5 cardboard holder its home for the time being.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  14. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Yeah thats a tuff one to find. Slab it so you dont lose it. Nice coin find

15. Treashunt

you posted it before?
    And I missed it, I guess

16. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/1983-ddr.301046/

As did I. This is considered the strongest reverse doubling in the whole series, but it's fairly common in high grade (PCGS shows over a thousand just between 65 and 66). I'm torn about recommending slabbing. The reason the coin is worth extra money is kind of plain - if you can't see that doubling a slab ain't helpin' you. :p

And if the coin is AU, it'll be forced into a fairly low value category since an MS64 can be had for under $200.

Chewmassa likes this.
  17. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

Slab only if it makes sense financially, make sure and include all the costs
    That you will be required to pay to get this done, grading fee,s shipping to and
    from, something you need to consider for sure.

Chewmassa and onecenter like this.
  18. onecenter

onecenter Member

You stated better than I did.

19. bear32211

bear32211 Always Learning

Slab it if sent it bulk with many other items.

20. Paul Otts

Paul Otts Member

Hard to tell even from a picture that good, but I would give it a range from 55-58.

21. Treashunt

not Wexler, check the Red Book

Insider likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted