Worth one cent

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Mar 20, 2018.

1. V. Kurt Bellman

V. Kurt Bellman Yes, I'm blunt! Get over your "feeeeelings".

Yup, so special the only way we see them is in purchased solid rolls in BU. ALMOST the same way with D coins. I saw more D coins in a four-night trip to Dallas than I have all YEAR in Pennsylvania.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Bud1 Wilson

Bud1 Wilson Well-Known Member

You really got Buds attention with that "ERROR" comment S20180328_0001.jpg

PlanoSteve likes this.
  4. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

I think Bud is wise beyond his years! :cool:

5. Bud1 Wilson

I learn from Bud every day:shame::shame:

S20180306_0002.jpg

6. V. Kurt Bellman

7. Bud1 Wilson

There is a small amount of American Indian in my blood and it interacts with anything other than root beer, ginger ale and birch beer...Bud refuses to let me sample any of the stuff the big guys drink.:happy::happy:

S20180328_0001.jpg

8. Nathan401

Nathan401 Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

I found one with some cool colors that's GOTTA be worth at LEAST 1 cent:
    IMG_0590.JPG

9. V. Kurt Bellman

Mmm. Fire water.

micbraun and Bud1 Wilson like this.
  10. V. Kurt Bellman

I have a funny feeling that some of the nicer early Zincolns, that will be the later ones to turn into a tiny pile of debris, are going to be "big" someday in the "I like color" zeitgeist market.

Nathan401 likes this.
  11. PlanoSteve

PlanoSteve Well-Known Member

Hummmmm......perhaps $.010000314159....only because I'm feeling a little hungry right now! :rolleyes:

12. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I know it has no extra value. But I dug this gold plated 1960 out of some wood chips a couple months back. It looks better in hand, I will try and take a different photo, and include the reverse.
    gold.png

Stork likes this.
  13. Michael K

14. mgmgmg75

mgmgmg75 Active Member

HA that was good. Took me a minute though!

PlanoSteve likes this.
  15. Michael K

It's my birth year, so always got that joke.

16. Greg M.

Greg M. New Member

Like Kurt, I collect cents mainly from circulation, and refused to mix in bought coins - even to upgrade - except for 6 early Wheaties I broke down and bought to complete my Lincoln set. But through lots of roll searching over the past years, I have found all the 1959 and later cents - along with a few 1940s and 1950s Wheaties - in almost full or full brilliant red condition - even today I frequently find a nice older Memorial in brilliant color.

17. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

Not believing you

18. V. Kurt Bellman

I appreciate that but I ALSO have a DIFFERENT Dansco cent album (8000 series) that EVERY coin that can be easily enough IS a mint set or proof set "pull", and individually purchased raw coins for those before 1959.

19. Michael K

Well I've recovered over 7400 cents the last 22 months. Sometimes I have to dig a hole and sometimes I don't. Some are still in good condition. And quite frankly what you believe is no concern of mine.

20. Spark1951

Spark1951 Accomplishment, not Activity

When it comes to pre-zinc cents, I think the term "face value" is being used incorrectly.

Given a normal, brown au55 1975 cent...2.1 cents as of a few months ago. This is why we see advice to keep them for their melt value. This also keeps them from showing up as errors on our forum.

I would call the same au55 1975 red brown to be .03 cents worth, and a red at least .04 cents.

au58 RB .05 cents, Red being .06 cents. This seems more in line with FMV than FV. This also stipulates solid grade and color, not "wishing" a brown was a red brown, or wishing a coin had less contact marks.

I would buy a au58RD for .06 cents if I couldn't find one, it's taken me 56 years of collecting to have the 12 I have found (au58 or better) over the years.

Spark

21. Michael K

The melt value on copper cents is break even at $6 a pound.
    Copper is $3 a pound. There is 1/2 cent of alloyed copper in a cent,
    25% of the spot price. 146 cents to the pound.
    The spot price is for Grade A copper. Cents are not grade A and even if it was legal to melt them, it's a losing proposition.

Spark1951 and Beefer518 like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted