Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by kforbes862, Jan 15, 2015.

1. kforbes862

kforbes862 Well-Known Member

I found this today, and have been looking for one for a decent price. This one is in rough shape, but is priced $17 under xf price. Is it worth buying, or would you pass for one in better shape? rhodesia1.JPG rhodesia2.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. afantiques

afantiques Well-Known Member

It's tough to find at all, but I call it Fine at best. I'd value an EF example at at least 4 or 5 times what I'd value that at. But as you have no doubt found, try to find one. The earliest I have had from Rhodesia is George VI, in EF.

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In the past ten years of participating on various coin forums, one thing that has been repeated over and over is that it's better to wait until you find what you want rather than regret the purchase of an inferior coin.

If what you want is more expensive, then set a little aside on a regular basis to make up for the added expense.

Chris

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

how much over melt?

6. kforbes862

I offered $2.00 over melt for it and waiting to hear back.

7. kforbes862

I agree with you on that. as i have been collecting longer and have more coins, i'm starting to look at quite a few that i have bought and wanting to get better examples, as well as wanting to buy better examples if the next ones on my want list.

8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

I don't collect these but it's been harshly cleaned. If it's what you really want then treat yourself. If not in a rush wait for a better one.

Markus1959 likes this.
  9. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

Yes, I agree - very cleaned and nowhere near XF! If you really want this one and can't wait for a better specimen then 2 dollars over melt isn't too bad.

tommyc03 likes this.
  10. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

At just $17 I'd go ahead and get it

11. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

On the other hand, if it's a hard to find coin, you can buy this one now and keep looking for a better one. If you find the better one later, you can resell this one. Assuming it's not hugely expensive that's probably what I'd do if you are someone who likes to fill holes in your collection.

tommyc03 and afantiques like this.
  12. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

This coin is really not all that hard to find in nice condition. I would not pay more than melt for this example.

tommyc03 likes this.
  13. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

If you only buy on ebay and there's not many on there, I'd even pay 20. The coins interesting, but i wouldn't buy it over melt.

tommyc03 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted