Worth buying this coin or not?Maximum cost?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by asimakis karachalios, May 29, 2016.

1. Hi there.I have seen this coin in auction and i am interested to buy it.It is 45 mm in diameter.How much money you advice me to spend for this coin.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  4. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, welcome to CoinTalk...probably should have put this in "What's It Worth" or "World Coins", but I'm sure someone with some knowledge will show up shortly. What is the bar on the reverse? There seems to be some damage also.

asimakis karachalios likes this.
  5. yes it has some damage.The value of this coin without damage is about 650 usd in vf condition.It may be used as a button from someone.

6. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

The damage on that coin would make me stay away from it. Looks like it was a jewelry piece at one time.

Jwt708 and asimakis karachalios like this.
  7. Yes but the front side is excelent.I want remove the bar on the other side.I want pay not more than 100 usd.Worth it?

8. Markus1959

If you remove the bar and find a way to remove the solder residue - I guess it would be well worth 100$.
    Like my Dad always told me - "If you want it, buy it!" :)

9. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn't spend that much. What is a f wortth, or Vg? If those grades have no price, then 100 is not bad considering how much Vf is

10. the coin in vf condition costs about 650 usd.The front side is about xf but the other side is vf if you remove bar.

11. SuperDave

SuperDave Free the Cartwheels!

Your most important decision does not involve how much you might be willing to pay for the coin. It involves whether to accept the burden of difficulty selling it years from now when you or your heirs need to do so. These are a popular issue, but the collector demand for them is balanced by availability. The coin here has been used as jewelry not once but twice, already having been removed from one mount. It therefore lacks even the additional interest of a contemporary jewelry piece; the current mount is probably not more than 100 years old. Few will want it because of its' challenges, when for somewhat more money very nice examples may be had.

I agree that the purchase price should not be much over $US100. If this is a sum equal to the value of the enjoyment you will derive from owning it, knowing it will not be easily sold again, then spend the money.

12. Thanks a lot.Telling the truth i like it because i collect very old huge coins.It is about 45 mm and very old.I have got about 200 different silver and copper coins in this size (40-46 mm)so it a deal for me.In my collection 3 coins have problems so far but are very expensive to buy them in better condition.

13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

There was recently a discussion as to when someone would buy a "problem" coin. This is a good reason

SuperDave likes this.
  14. Hello everybody.I just won the coin in auction.I was the high bidder 80 usd including shipping.It is silver 45 mm 1695

Attached Files:

SuperDave, Kentucky and Markus1959 like this.
  15. Markus1959

That's pretty cool! Thanks for letting us know!!

16. john59

john59 Well-Known Member

You got it for a good price

Draft saved Draft deleted