Worth a second try ?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Barber dime 94s, May 23, 2015.

1. Barber dime 94s

Barber dime 94s Active Member

image.jpg image.jpg Hey folks
    So for the past month or so ,I've been trying to get together a fifth coin to fill the 5 coin minimum for the economy teir at ANACS. So after reading a thread here about people resubmitting coins that had returned as cleaned detail coins the first go around, then be givin a straight grade the next time. It made me think of this 1914s , NGC AU details improperly cleaned dime. I've looked at this coin under a loop several times, there are a few hairline on the cheek of liberty , couple here and there in the feilds , in person the coin looks a bit crusty and still has patches of luster like you would see on an AU 50-53 coin. What makes me think it might he worth another shot is comparing it to problem free AU barbers in top TPG slabs I see similar hairlines. I understand this is a fairly common date and wouldn't be worth a great deal if problem free . Now considering I just need one more coin would you crack it out for another try at a different company???

Last edited: May 23, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

I think you are throwing away good money after bad money.

900fine likes this.
  4. Barber dime 94s

I maybe throwing away good money , I just don't understand the ( after bad money ) part. I don't intend to sell any of the coins I plan to send in .. My thoughts were if I had a 50/50 chance of getting this coin in a problem free slab, while getting the other 4 Ive waited months to submit graded it would be worth it. This would also keep me from scanning eBay for weeks on end trying to find that one problem free raw barber.

5. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

What I meant is that you received a details grade so the certification fee produced nothing of value for you - it is money gone. Trying to have it regraded with the hopes of upgrading is not a fruitful endeavor as you are pouring more money ("good money") into a problem coin. By the time you resubmit, you might find that you have more money into it than you would if you had originally sought out a problem free example already certified.

6. Barber dime 94s

That makes sense and I do understand that. I purachased this coin already slabbed for a very good price , at a price that even if it came back details again I wouldn't have much in it. That's one of the reason id being willing to take a chance with it. From what I see it's really a gamble anytime you submit coins , same coin different grade every time , same coin with problems or without problems .. So really it seems that's what's on a slab is nothing more than an opinion at the point in time you submit the coin. Different graders or even the same could have a different opinion of the very same coin at a different point in time.

7. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

Yup, why waste another $30 bucks on a $60 AU coin?

8. Dancing Fire

Dancing Fire Junior Member

True, but you want the odds on your side..;) a nice PR64 to a PR66.

Attached Files:

9. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

How do you figure that you'd have a 50/50 chance? It has already received a Details grade once. Are you assuming that the ANACS graders are also bad at detecting problem coins? I would think the odds are worse, maybe 80/20 or so.

Chris

900fine likes this.
  10. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

$15 at ANACS.

My experience is quite limited, but of the ten coins I've submitted to ANACS, one graded cleanly with a light scratch that some folks here thought would disqualify it, and three got details grades where folks here (and, in one case, dealers who examined the coin in-hand) thought they should grade cleanly.

My impression is that TPGs in general are inconsistent in accepting or rejecting coins, and that ANACS today (as opposed to a couple of years ago) is no less likely to detail a coin than PCGS or NGC. As Chris said, I think the odds are probably poorer than 50/50.

But, while the ANACS fee may be a good chunk of the coin's actual value, it's not a lot of money in the scheme of things. If nothing else, it'll give you another data point, and more experience.

Barber dime 94s likes this.
  11. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

If you're not planning on selling it and keeping it as part of your collection and the label is bothering you just crack it out and put it in a coin world slab with your own label.
    If you like the coin it shouldn't matter what someone elses opinion of it is.
    It's not an unattractive coin IMO but I think the toning, or lack of, on the obverse by the RI of america may be what NGC didn't like.

12. Barber dime 94s

It's not that I believe anacs wouldn't detect a problem coin , you are right it was already labeled as a problem coin by one company,obviously they saw something they didn't like. My opinion of the coin isn't so bad. My chances may not be as good as 50/50, even at your odds its possible to get it in a problem free slab. I fully understand it may be a waste of time and money . It isn't so much that I can't stand the coin to be in that slab , but more of a worst case it comes back as a details coin again.
    Anacs sent me a package a week or so ago with the submission forms I requested, they included a coupon type card that will discount the fee from 15 to 12 bucks. So it wouldn't be that big of a lose .

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since ANACS isn't discounting those 5 coins all that much, I'd wait until I found one more suitable for grading.

Chris

900fine and Barber dime 94s like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted