Worst and ugliest Roman coin portrait ever?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Jun 8, 2020.

1. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

I came across this Roman Provincial coin of Trajan on VCoins the other day -- it's described as a Seleucis and Pieria, Beroia bronze AE, no measurements provided, identified as "BMC 7" -- and couldn't resist posting the photo:

Bad Trajan portrait -Syria.jpg

This has to take the prize as the worst, and ugliest, coin portrait of a Roman emperor that I've ever seen. Trajan looks barely human, never mind looking like Trajan. If anyone has something worse they can post, please be my guest.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Ignoramus Maximus

Ignoramus Maximus Nomen non est omen.

Difficult to beat that one. But still, if you had to guess, you'd probably guess Trajan...

Only thing I can offer you is an Athena who looks as if she has eaten a very sour lemon. It was my first Greek silver from Corinth and I liked the Pegasus. I still do. And it was cheap, of course...

Corinth rev..jpg

Corinth obv.jpg

4. randygeki

randygeki Coin Collector

5. DonnaML

I would never have guessed that was Trajan!

+VGO.DVCKS and bcuda like this.
  6. Clavdivs

Clavdivs Well-Known Member

lol - yes that is pretty rough.
    For me there is a point when the absurdity of the portraits actually makes them desirable.. and I am not sure why?
    Perhaps it is the intention of the artist? In some of the examples above we can see what the artist intended and they failed miserably.

However in this coin of Licinius it seems to me that the artist left the reservation and came up with this.. clean lines full of intent - weirdness personified.
    I love it.

upload_2020-6-8_16-26-19.png

7. Al Kowsky

Al Kowsky Well-Known Member

I submit this doofus looking portrait of Gordian III, with the ear in the wrong place :eek:. The reverse of the coin doesn't look bad... That Trajan bronze is a hard one to beat :p.
    SNG France 1211 obv..JPG SNG France 1211 rev..JPG

8. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Looks like Quasimodo Donna.

bcuda and DonnaML like this.
  9. DonnaML

That's great! He looks like a blowfish.

+VGO.DVCKS and bcuda like this.
  10. Orielensis

Orielensis Well-Known Member

This cannot compete with @Clavdivs ' coin of his dad, but Licinius Junior also had some exceptionally bad engraving work done in his name:

Rom – Licinius 2, AE3, jupiter.png
    Licinius II, Roman Empire, AE3, 317–320 AD, Antioch mint. Obv: DN VAL LICIN LICINIVS NOB C, laureate and draped bust left, holding mappa, globe, and sceptre. Rev: IOVI CONSERVATORI CAESS, Jupiter standing left, holding Victory on globe and sceptre, captive at feet left, delta in right field. 18mm, 2.82g. Ref: RIC VII, 29 delta.

11. bcuda

bcuda El Ibérico loco

This is the worst one that I have.
    I think my 9 year old grandson could have done better.
    11s.jpg
    Kastilo-Castulo. ?
    Celtiberian, Ancient Spain
    Early second century BC
    Obv: Male head right, (possible head of Herkales with lion skin cape)
    Rev: Bull standing right (funny looking bull)
    Semis?. (C-72 variant).
    Ae. 3.7 grams.
    Barbaric imitation ?.Rare.
    Burgos 746

Last edited: Jun 8, 2020
  12. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

This one has one of the worst reverses I've seen in my collection, portrait not-so-hot, too...Tetricus II as Caesar

tetricus1.jpg

tetricus2.jpg

13. Magnus Maximus

Magnus Maximus Dulce et Decorum est....

Pure nightmare fuel!!!
    0406A326-75A1-4D42-B98F-54CDD5EEEC3E.jpeg
    Ptolemy X - Paphos Mint
    Size: 26mm
    Weight: 13.19 grams
    Obverse: Diademed head right, wearing aegis
    Reverse: PTOLEMAIOU BASILEWS, Eagle standing left on thunderbolt; L K (date) before; PA behind.

14. Ignoramus Maximus

'If you HAD to guess...' Its the brow that gives it away, not the face.

And is anyone now considering buying DonnaML's coin? After this thread, it's got provenance...

+VGO.DVCKS, DonnaML and bcuda like this.
  15. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Not so much the portrait, but condition wise, this poor tet is the worse in my collection.

[​IMG]
    Vitellius (69 A.D.)
    Egypt, Alexandria
    Billon Tetradrachm
    O: ΩΛΟΥ ΟΥΙΤ ΚΑΙΣ ΣΕΒ ΓΕΡΜ ΑΥΤ, laureate head right.
    R: Nike advancing left, holding wreath with her extended right hand and palm frond with her left; LA (date) to left.
    26mm
    12.1g
    RPC 5372; Köln 260-2; Dattari 340; K&G 19.1. Emmett 196.1

16. DonnaML

The seller is asking only 60 Euros!

+VGO.DVCKS and Ignoramus Maximus like this.
  17. Ignoramus Maximus

A no brainer!:)

+VGO.DVCKS and DonnaML like this.
  18. Agricantus

Agricantus Allium aflatunense

@Clavdivs your Licinius is so ugly, it's beautiful. I live it!

+VGO.DVCKS and Clavdivs like this.
  19. robinjojo

robinjojo Well-Known Member

I'm still looking through the roman coins for a candidate, but I came across this Celtic tetradrachm. As you know, the Celts are renowned for the range of artistic renderings based mostly on Greek coins of Alexander and Philip, but others as well.

This coin is a tetradrachm of the Thasos type, Eastern European Celts, with a highly stylized portrait of Dionysus.

The weight is 16.10 grams and the coin dates from the 2nd - 1st centuries BC.

D-Camera Eastern Celts Tetradrachm, Thasos Type, Roma Sale 68 2,  6-8-20.jpg

20. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

IMHO, a veristic masterpiece like that OP Trajan needs to be paired with an equally accomplished Plotina. :p

Plotina - Amphipolis 2101.jpg PLOTINA
    AE Diassarion. 10.25g, 24.7mm. MACEDON, Amphipolis, circa AD 105-123. BMC -; RPC Online III 645/7 (this coin illustrated); SNG ANS -; SNG Evelpidis 1170. O: CEBACTH ΠΛΩTEINA, Draped bust of Plotina to right. R: AMΦIΠOΛITΩN, City-goddess enthroned left, holding patera in her right hand and her garments with left.

Ryro, +VGO.DVCKS, Andres2 and 14 others like this.
  21. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Beautiful oinker, Donna!
    Was scrolling through an upcoming Auction And just came across this...
    Now, I know that even Vespasian would agree that he was no apollo. Heck, he probably wasn't even a Hermes. But I don't think he qualified as this nightmare fodder!
    1223351_1591264277.l.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted