worry..

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Galen59, May 22, 2018.

1. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Anyone one think the next generation doesn't really care about coins, antiques, really anything from the past?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

4. Numismat

Numismat World coin enthusiast

They will when they get older, as was probably the case for most of us here :)

5. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

Not really how to take, or, judge that.

6. Galen59

Galen59 Gott helfe mir

explain.........

7. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

Looks very much like they'll care about errors, real, imaginary or microscopic.

Trebellianus and Galen59 like this.
  8. baseball21

Don’t worry they won’t be on your lawn

Galen59 likes this.
  9. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

when you get older you have an appreciation for old things antiques coins and other art works.

Galen59 and Numismat like this.
  10. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

They worry more about their cell phones being fully charged, social media and spending $100's on stupid Air Jordan sneakers.. Sad
    But the Numismatics is still going.. We have some young collectors here on CT. We just need to learn how to properly lead them in the hobby.

Last edited: May 23, 2018
  11. baseball21

You guys do realize that that same complaints you guys have are essentially the same complaints your parents and grandparents had about your generations right?

How shocking teenagers wanna chase future partners and play sports and party instead of collect. Guess what they get older and have different interest as they age. Same thing that’s happened with every generation.

If you guys wanna known how to lead younger collectors into the hobby better, not making demeaning comments about them all the time would be a great start.

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

I lead young people in many things.. That's what we are supposed to do. Numismatics, fishing, metal detecting and advice on education and future careers. But there are more distractions now than there were 30 or more years ago! That's the problem.

If you think my comment was demeaning then you need a reality check. Get on a train and what do you see.. Dozens of young people with their faces lit up by their cell phones lost in Social Media.. And They are not looking at coins!

13. baseball21

And if phones were around 60 years ago you’d see the same thing. There’s not really more distractions there’s just different ones. Some of us grew up used to the technology and distractions and ended up with coins because of them. My entire point was you guys keep saying all this stuff that’s not a big deal to us

14. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

hey I spend $100 on Jordans. they are nice looking and last a lot longer than cheap tennis shoes. I will be 57 in October. :shifty:

15. Numismat

I say this every time this topic comes up... social media can just as easily be a blessing. There are vibrant communities of younger people interested in numismatics on sites like Instagram, Reddit, Pinterest, even Facebook groups. A lot of the older folks do not use these venues, so to them it looks like the younger generation is uninterested when they are simply interested via different ways.

16. We all grew up using coins in commerce regardless of our interests at any given time. Today, most now use debit cards, etc. As coinage becomes obsolete and digital forms of currency dominate, less people will be interested in numismatics. It’s already happening...

joecoincollect likes this.
  17. baseball21

So you used large cents in commerce, how about bust dollars or seated coins. If not what would you ever collect them from that logic

Lesbian Cow likes this.
  18. Numismat

Can't really agree with the logic of people not being interested in collecting something because they never used it. Majority of antique collecting involves an interest in things people never used.

19. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I also play around with old cars. And the old guys that I hang around with at the cruise ins have the same conversations... I have the same response to both.... We created an atmosphere that took an everymans hobby financially out of the reach of younger folks. Old cars and old coins are enormously overvalued for the average person to be able to enjoy. And we have nobody to blame but ourselves.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. coloradobryan

coloradobryan Well-Known Member

Well, my wife doesnt care about coins, stamps, or any of my hobbies. Cant even get her to look at them! She loves collecting my paycheck though...

21. longnine009

longnine009 Darwin has to eat too. Supporter

IMO, the biggest threat to coin collecting is the internet itself and too much of everything too fast a.ka the law of diminishing returns or "burn out."

Draft saved Draft deleted