"worn?" penny

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Somanycoins, Jul 19, 2015.

1. Somanycoins

Somanycoins New Member

I have Lincoln Memorial penny that is extremely worn on the head side. You can only make out a faint outline of Lincoln, the lettering is all but gone, and somehow, with a magnifying glass I can barely make out a date of 198something. Maybe 1987? Also, you can see on the head side the horizontal edges of the building on the tail side coming through. The tail side has no such wear and looks to be in a normal circulated condition. Sorry for not knowing the technical terms for these things. I have inherited a big bag of coins and am trying to sort through and see if there's anything that jumps out. This one did. So, I don't know if this was an error in printing or just a weirdly worn coin. Thanks in advance.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kirkuleez

Kirkuleez 80 proof

We would need an image to be able to give you any information.

4. Ed23

Ed23 Active Member

Since metal changes occurred between coins minted in 1980-82 and those minted 1983-1989 that may help you determine whether the Lincoln was early 80s or later 80s.

5. Somanycoins

Somanycoins New Member

Here are a couple pics. I didn't add them the first time because there wasn't much to see. I'm not so interested in the date as I am in the condition and how it got that way. Maybe it was just someone's nervous habit that wore it out!

Attached Files:

swamp yankee and paddyman98 like this.
  6. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Hello Somanycoins! It is always good to post clear pictures of any coins that you may have a questions about, and always the Obverse and the Reverse sides. There is a good reason for us to see what you have in hand.
    What I see and what you might have is an error known as a Capped Die.
    Here is some more info - I would like to share this webpage with you http://www.lincolncentresource.com/Errors/Struck_Through_Die_Cap.html

BonnieSue likes this.
  7. paddyman98

Here is on called a Struck Through Capped Die that I own certified by NGC
    3443088-003+3.JPG

BonnieSue likes this.
  8. paddyman98

By the way. Coins are milled or minted not printed, that would be paper currency ;)

BonnieSue likes this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Got a shot of the reverse? Looks like someone might have 'spooned' the coin. Notice the raised rims?

10. Somanycoins

Somanycoins New Member

This may be what it is...the result of a capped die. Are these worth anything to anyone?

11. Somanycoins

Somanycoins New Member

The reverse is in good condition. Very well-defined. The rims on the reverse are sharp but on the front are more rounded like the capped die image.

12. paddyman98

Here is another Capped Die - Nickel
    4068806-005+.JPG

BonnieSue likes this.
  13. paddyman98

I have to disagree on that green18.. sorry that is not a spooned Cent

BonnieSue likes this.
  14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Well, I'd have to defer to greater knowledge Paddy.........:)

15. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

PMD for sure,almost looks like it was hit with a wire brush in a drill press until the portrait was gone?

16. paddyman98

No my friend.. look at my posts.

BonnieSue likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted