Worn Middle Eastern?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Randy Abercrombie, Sep 18, 2018.

1. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

My grandmother passed last week and the coins she had came home with me. I am a US coin guy and am clueless with world monies. My grandfather was an oil man in Iran in the 1970's. I was sort of hoping that perhaps these coins may come from that period in his life. They are extremely worn but thought I might give it a shot. IMG_3384.JPG IMG_3384.JPG IMG_3386.JPG IMG_3387.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Can you show us the other side of the first one? You seem to have posted one side twice.

And yes, these are from Iran - the lion holding a sword with the sun behind is the classic motif of Iran.

The second one is a 5 Rials coin (KM1175a, if you have a copy of Krause). It is obviously heavily corroded and damaged, but the "upside down heart" is their symbol for 5. The date is below the wreath on that side, and reads "1339". That is the equivalent of 1960 AD. In that condition, it isn't worth more than 5 or 10 cents - but the history of it and association with your family is worth more.

4. Randy Abercrombie

Thank you! Yes I did post that side twice. I was hoping these were tied to my granddad. Much much appreciated. 4A60149D-4BD9-4137-BFB5-D557080D130A.jpeg

5. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Ouch, I'm afraid that piece is too worn and corroded for me to be able to identify any further than "Iranian." Maybe someone else will be able to help on that one?

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Knowing they are Iranian and correlate to the period my granddad worked over there is really all I was hoping to glean from this. Much appreciated @physics-fan3.14 . More than you could know.

7. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

After I get out of practice today I will see what I can find out for you Randy.

8. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

This is my guess for the second one - 50 dinar
    7KiJQF3ceGz2Kf6D4gRjWkC8d9S3H7.jpg

9. Randy Abercrombie

wcoins likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted