WORN BUT DISCERNIBLE...C.Poblicius Q.F..80BC

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by ominus1, Apr 6, 2021.

1. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..this coin has been much used, but you can still see Roma's eye..& she carries the scars of several counterstamps as to insure that there's age & reuse here...and no doubt as to who & what is on the reverse..

POST YOUR COINS & COMMENTS PEEPS! :). Kbaby & C Problicius denarius 006.JPG Kbaby & C Problicius denarius 011.JPG serrated AR denarius, C. Poblicius Q.F. 80BC, Rome, Ob. Roma bust right, Rev. Hercules fighting Nemean Lion. 18mm, 3.47gms

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Strike Vader

Strike Vader Member

Incredible coin, ominus1!
    Also, that's below the belt... Lion disqualified.

Evan Saltis, DonnaML and ominus1 like this.
  4. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Great capture, @ominus1 !

I think Hercules is losing on mine, he has already lost half his leg... to a Stannard Scoop...

upload_2021-4-6_18-10-41.png
    RR C POBLICIUS Q f 80 BCE AR Denarius serratus 3.94g Rome Flan wgt control gouge Hercules strnglng Nemean lion club quiver Cr 380-1 Syd 768

Here is one from an earlier relative:

upload_2021-4-6_18-11-32.png
    RR Poblicius Postumius Albinus Metellus 96 BCE Apollo Roma Seated Shield S 220 Cr 335-1

5. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I've always like the design of this coin. Congrats. Here's my poor example: Poblicius.jpg
    C POBLICIUS QF ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS POBLICIA
    AR Serratus Denarius
    OBVERSE: ROMA, draped bust of Roma right, helmeted & decorated with corn ears, control mark letter above
    REVERSE: C•POBLICI•Q•F, Hercules strangling the Nemean lion, club at his feet
    Struck at Rome 80 BC
    3.88g, 16mm
    Cr380/1, Syd 768, Poblicia 9

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Coingrats on the Roman Republic beauty Omonomithalymus!!! ... and a type I don't have:bucktooth:
    So I'll have to sub with the Greek type from Heraklea and a new RR from SULLA'Sreign(!!!)that I haven't shared...
    20190326_180605_FB217BC3-C464-4C9D-B046-B1AD54015253-406-000000EE71F03D8B.png
    1617604_1609852033.l-removebg-preview.png
    A. Postumus Albinus
    81 BC. Denar Serratus An interesting seratus from the republic period. Obverse: Covered head of Hispania. Reverse: Figure with a toga facing left, with an arm raised, between aquila and fasces.VF. Rzeszowski Jan 2021

7. romismatist

romismatist Well-Known Member

@Ryro, the Herakleia silver diobol type you've posted was also issued by Taras / Tarentum, Arpi, Tiati, Kailia, Rubi, and Heridonia. Often it's difficult to discern which city issued them, as they are worn and the legends aren't always visible. This diobol type seems to have circulated widely within the southern Magna Graecian region. Even the types issued by Taras have tens if not hundreds of variants.

Alegandron, DonnaML and Ryro like this.
  8. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Here's my example, with the control-letter "V" on both sides. Hercules looks very stoic given where the lion's right hind claw appears to be.

Poblicius (Hercules & Nemean Lion).jpg

@ominus1, is the control-letter a "T" on yours?

9. ominus1

ominus1 Well-Known Member

..ya know i now do believe it is...at 1st, i just thought it was part of the helmet...good "I" Donna :)

DonnaML likes this.
  10. Roman Collector

Roman Collector Well-Known Member

FB_IMG_1618649704938.jpg

Hercules and the Nemean lion:

[​IMG]
    Septimius Severus, AD 193-211.
    Roman provincial Æ 18.6 mm, 4.37 g, 7 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, AD 193-211.
    Obv: ΑV Κ CΕΠΤΙ CΕΥΗΡΟC Π, laureate, draped and cuirassed bust right.
    Rev: MAPKIA-NOΠOΛITΩ-N, Herakles standing left, wrestling the Nemean lion.
    Refs: AMNG I 585 v.; Varbanov 710; Moushmov 397; H&J 6.14.14.5-6; Mionnet Suppl. 2, 126.

[​IMG]
    Julia Domna, AD 193-217.
    Roman provincial Æ 16.8 mm, 4.33 g, 1 h.
    Moesia Inferior, Marcianopolis, AD 193-211.
    Obv: IOVΛIA ΔO-MNA CEB, bare-headed and draped bust right.
    Rev: MAPKIANOΠOΛITΩN, Herakles standing right, wrestling the Nemean lion.
    Refs: AMNG I 606; Varbanov 673; Moushmov 419; SNG Copenhagen --; SNG Budapest --.

Volodya, Cucumbor, Broucheion and 7 others like this.
  11. Andrew McCabe

Andrew McCabe Well-Known Member

This looks like an ancient cast copy, possibly white metal (lead tin alloy)

Carausius likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted