Worn and corroded, but still an important counterstamp

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by BRandM, Aug 2, 2012.

1. BRandM

BRandM Counterstamp Collector

Stilemen 1.jpg Stilemen 2.jpg Stilemen 3.JPG
    I generally don't buy counterstamps in this condition, but did this time because of the importance of the issuer. The stamps read "Stileman/Philada//Philada/Cast-Steel." There are no listed issues by this man that I'm aware of so this one is almost certainly unique.
    Apparently Richard Stileman was the first iron founder to manufacture valves for water and gas works, fire hydrants, etc in the United States. He started his foundry in Philadelphia in 1837 at "GT below 2nd"...that's Germantown Rd. below 2nd St. in the city's Kensington neighborhood. Despite being burned out completely in a fire in 1844, he rebuilt and stayed in business at the same address until his death in March, 1866... nearly three decades. It's unusual for these early manufacturers to stay put for such a long time but he did. I've come across others who've had six or seven different addresses over the life of their business.
    Stileman went under three different names during his career. Stileman, Ellis & Andrews (Union Pipe Foundry), Stileman & Son (Richard and his son Richard Jr.), and Stileman, Ellis & Co. When he died in 1866 the company was continued under the direction of his son Richard Jr. When he passed away in 1876 it was bought out by Isaac S. Cassin and Josiah Thompson and continued at the same location as I.S. Cassin & Co.
    This may be a dug coin as the corrosion indicates. The seller, a collector from Metuchen, NJ had no information to share with me so I'm not sure of it's provenance. As a matter of fact it was sold to me as "Stilem" because of the difficulty seeing the "an" in the last name. It's on an early Large Cent but, unfortunately, I can't make out a date. It was likely stamped in the 1840's when Stileman worked alone. Since this important early manufacturer is pretty much forgotten, I was happy to "rediscover" him and promote his accomplishments in a small way. Thanks for looking everybody.

Bruce

Bruce

Draft saved Draft deleted