Worlds Fair of Money Acquisitions

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Chris B, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

My wife and I spent the last week in Chicago at the Worlds Fair of Money. As much fun as I had, I'm really glad it's over. There were tons of things to do including some excellent educational programs. I built a competitive exhibit for the first time. Of course, there was a bunch of high-end material that the average collector (me) can't afford but I was still able to track down some nice new items. These are just some quick edited cell phone photos.

A couple of new pieces for my Wildman Collection

1619 Brunswick Wolfenbuttel Thaler
    GerBru161901.jpg
    GerBru161902.jpg

1724 Brunswick Luneberg Calleberg Hannover Thaler. This one has been lacquered at some point so I will be doing some conservation.
    GerBru172401.jpg
    GerBru172402.jpg

The next items are some other German States items that caught my eye.

1784 Julich Berg 1/4 Stuber

GerJul178401.jpg
    GerJul178402.jpg

1673 Silesia Liegnitz Berg 6 Kreuzer

GerSil167301.jpg
    GerSil167302.jpg

1669 Schleswig Holstein Gottorp 1/16 Thaler - This is an exceptional little coin, the pictures don't do it justice.

GerSch166901.jpg GerSch166902.jpg

PaulTudor, Stork, Trish and 7 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

In addition, I worked a club booth for the Indiana State Numismatic Association. We were set up next to the show host club, Chicago Coin Club. They are celebrating 100 years and produced this medal. We bought the 5 oz copper version. It was also available in an enhanced finish, silver, and a 13-ounce gold version.

Chicago 2019 01.jpg
    Chicago 2019 02.jpg

Trish, chrsmat71, Ima Dragon and 3 others like this.
  4. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

IIRC correctly from the article I read, the 13oz gold medal is very limited mintage, so order quickly.

I was there Friday/Saturday and had a great time too... No spectacular finds, just lots of pretty items to look at.

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Nice buys, I like the wildmans best.

Chris B likes this.
  6. Chris B

Actually they were only available as a pre-order. Only 3 were ordered at a reported $19,000 each.

7. ddddd

ddddd Member

Looks like some nice finds!

Only 3 ordered at under spot (19000/13=~1,462 per oz vs gold being over $1,500)?
    Or were they not pure gold?

8. Chris B

They were ordered earlier in the year and were ready for pu at the WFOM. Not sure how much lower spot was when they were ordered.

ddddd likes this.
  9. ddddd

ddddd Member

That makes sense. A nice bonus for the three people that pre-ordered. :)

10. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

13 ounces, when a Troy Pound just won't do...

Chris B and ddddd like this.
  11. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

Nice to see that you found something for your passions. The Wildman series is a curious phenomenon. I just did a search on ANA Exact and found many references, often for coins for sale, some other citations, but no historical essays. Do you have an authoritative article that you can point us to?

Thanks!
    Mike M.

12. Chris B

Mike, I posted my story in multiple places including CT. https://www.cointalk.com/threads/my-wildman-addiction.318099/
    I would not call this authoritative by any means but there is some good information. I have considered writing something more comprehensive with more historical information but haven't found the time yet.

13. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

OP - nice looking coins, nice pickups

Chris - love the Chicago Coin Club medal - wonder if they are still selling them.

14. Chris B

At the end of the show, all they had left was the 5oz copper medals. They are $52 shipped.

http://www.chicagocoinclub.org/club_items_recent.html

15. Zonker

Zonker Active Member

Thanks - I'll drop them a line. Love buckingham fountain and the water tower.

Draft saved Draft deleted