World War Two Banknote collection

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Nathan F, Aug 25, 2019.

1. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Hi everyone, I’m a big collector of coins but over the past year have moved to banknotes a lot of which are from World War Two. I find this to be a really interesting form of collecting. If anyone else has WW2 banknotes please post them is this forum!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jerryc39

jerryc39 Well-Known Member

How much do the Japanese ten pesos notes go for in that condition?

4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

Welcome. I don't collect notes besides ones that I pick up on my travels around the world. I do like some of the WWII artwork on the notes though.
    What is the writing on the top one in the last picture? I can see Scottland. It looks like a short snorter or something.

Nathan F likes this.
  5. Nathan F

That Japanese ten pesos was only a dollar so not very much. As for the Chinese bill it is a short snorter with 4 signatures on it. The signers are from Essex, Scotland, Calgary and Australia.

furryfrog02 likes this.
  6. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Welcome to CT Nathan, and thank you for sharing. You have some nice notes and a good collection.
    I have a small collection of foreign currency and some military fractional currency, but don't really collect it. I received them from relatives that were in the military during the war.
    Military fractional currency.jpg Military Fractional, Backs.jpg Philippines Victory Peso&New Caledonia centimes.jpg victory peso& New Caledonia back.jpg

7. Nathan F

Cool Collection, really like that Philippines Peso!

8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

Unless you’re trading in graded 64+ notes, most WWII notes are VERY cheap.
    Usually $5 or less, with some cases being as much as $10.

Generally you’re never spending more than a large fry at McDonald’s

9. CaptainMK

CaptainMK Active Member

I personally love these bills. Very cheap, yes BUT very rich with history. My heritage is from the Philippines, I have been learning about my heritage through currency and Japanese occupation notes were my first purchase. Very cool! Thanks for sharing!

10. GoldFinger1969

GoldFinger1969 Well-Known Member

What about the Hawaii U.S. notes or military payment notes ? No interest in them or still looking ?

11. Nathan F

So much out there for not very much, will probably get there eventually but not yet.

GoldFinger1969 likes this.
  12. mpcusa

mpcusa "Official C.T. TROLL SWEEPER"

You cant go wrong with MPC , its kept my interest for over 20 years
    Now, here are some of my many many examples, started off collecting
    Raw notes before moving in to graded ones.

Here,s some i picked at random:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

13. mpcusa

14. mpcusa

15. mpcusa

16. mpcusa

17. mpcusa

18. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

They are available with and without the VICTORY stamped on the back. I think the ones without go for a little more. It's a silver certificate. Although at the time I don't know what the exchange value was to the US D. Guessing .10-.25. These notes are for sale for a few dollars on EBay. It's a nice design.

19. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

This is probably my favorite from WWII. 5 Francs Marianne, from French Somaliland (currently Djibouti) in Africa. French Somaliland was a Vichy (Axis-aligned) region after being taken by the Italians early in WWII. British and Free French forces regained control of the region in 1942. This note was overprinted Jan 1, 1943 by Banque de l'Indochine to show alignment with the Free French.

[​IMG]

George McClellan and Muzyck like this.
  20. MEC2

MEC2 Enormous Member

I haven't looked at this frame in some time, it's a WWII frame of US and Philippine currency. It is not complete, I have other denominations but it fit so I threw it on the wall. The $20 are 1934 and 1934 A so that is why it is there twice... the top aces are short snorters, the underneath are not. The Philippines notes are all Victory notes (hence in the frame), I do have many other Philippine notes pre-WWII but those were all devalued when the US retook the islands, and they don't fit in with the frame. Have some signed photos of Patton in the frame above, seemed like the place to put them...

[​IMG]

21. Nathan F

Very Nice!

Draft saved Draft deleted