World War II Coins

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by E Pluribus Unum, Aug 10, 2018.

1. E Pluribus Unum

E Pluribus Unum Active Member

I would like to compile a list of coins that were modified as a result of World War II. I will start with the following:

1) 1943 Lincoln Wheat Cent (Zinc-Plated Steel)
    2) 1942-1945 Jefferson Nickel (35% Silver)
    3) 1943 Canadian Victory Nickel (Tombac Brass)
    4) 1944-1945 Canadian Victory Nickel (Chrome-Plated Steel)
    5) German 1 Reichspfennig (with Swastika)
    6) German 2 Reichspfennig (with Swastika)
    7) German 5 Reichspfennig (with Swastika)
    8) German 10 Reichspfennig (with Swastika)
    9) German 2 Reichsmark (with Swastika)
    10) German 5 Reichsmark (with Swastika)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

How do you define modified?

Are you looking for existing types that were struck on alternate planchets? Would you also count new emergency types that replaced (or supplemented) older coins of the same denomination?

The following coins strictly fit your definition of modified:

For Hungary, the 2 Fillér type was bronze up until 1940, but then was changed to wartime planchets:
    • Hungary 2 Fillér (1940) Iron (Plain Rim)
      • Exactly the same as the regular bronze issue but struck in iron
    • Hungary 2 Fillér (1940-1942) Iron (Decorative Rim)
      • To differentiate between the bronze and iron issues, they added a decorative rim
    • Hungary 2 Fillér (1943-1944) Zinc
      • The diameter was changed very slightly but the design is the same as the plain rim above, and the regular bronze issue
    Similarly, the 10 Fillér was nickel up until 1940, but was then changed to wartime planchets:
    • Hungary 10 Fillér (1940-1942) Steel
      • No changes were made to this type except the planchet.
    The following coins are also Hungarian wartime issues that were struck on alternate planchets, but their designs were also changed:

The 20 Fillér was struck in nickel until 1940. The coin was changed like the above 10 Fillér to wartime planchets, but unlike the above, the type was also completely redesigned (and a hole was added in the center, presumably to save metal).
    • Hungary 20 Fillér (1941-1944) Steel
    The 1, 2, and 5 Pengő were silver up until 1939, but were changed to aluminum during the war. The design of all 3 coins was changed (slightly for the 1 and 5, but the 2 was completely redesigned).
    • 1 Pengő (1941-1944) Aluminum
    • 2 Pengő (1941-1943) Aluminum
    • 5 Pengő (1943) Aluminum

4. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Belgium 1944 KM#133, 2 franc, made in USA on surplus 1943 zinc plated steel
    cent planchets.

5. smarch

smarch Active Member

I think the 1944 cents were made of a different alloy because of recycling spent cartridge cases.

6. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Most European countries issued coins in zinc and/or iron during the war, those alone would build you a pretty big set. Other countries throughout the world made other changes to their coins or had them minted outside of the country, for example, Australia had coins minted in India and the US from 1942-44, but with no changes to composition or design.

Also, although not directly related to the war, Italy issued coins with fascist symbolism during the late 30s and into the war years.

7. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

US cents minted 1944-1946 were made of 95% copper like pre 1943 cents, but without tin.

8. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

I think the change to coins #5 throu #10 was a cause of WW2 not the Results of it.
    As these coins changed in 1936. The dates of WW2 is 1939 - 1945. The Empire of Japan was at war with the Republic of China in 1937.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_War_II

9. Sullysullinburg

Sullysullinburg Well-Known Member

Well how do you define “modified as a result of WWII”? Because, one could argue, all German coins after WWII were modified considering Germany lost.

10. E Pluribus Unum

I meant "modified" to be loosely interpreted. Any coin that changed its metallic composition or design in response to the war is "modified." I would include coins that were associated with WWII even if they were minted before the war began. For example, when you look at the swastika symbol, we associate that with Nazi Germany - even though the swastika symbol was minted on German coins before the war started. To generalize, if I were to look at a coin and find some relationship to WWII, I would consider that "modified."

In retrospect, modified was a poorly chosen word. Maybe "associated" would be a better word.

alurid likes this.
  11. E Pluribus Unum

I'm glad you mentioned this. I have mistakenly thought WWII began in 1939 with the invasion of Poland. I usually think of 1941 as the start to the war in the Pacific. But what do I know? I majored in chemistry.:(

alurid likes this.
  12. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Might have something to do with the fact that the nazi regime began in early 1933 - more than six years before WW2 started in Europe. ;) During the post-war allied occupation, the three lowest denominations were minted with the same design but with a modified (swastika-less) eagle. The coins produced by the Federal Republic of Germany and the German Democratic Republic look quite different of course ...

Christian

Draft saved Draft deleted