World War II 24k Design Announced

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by LakeEffect, Sep 2, 2020.

1. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

I haven't seen this posted yet. The Mint revealed the design for the 1/2 oz. 24 karat gold coin commemorating the end of World War II (not to be confused with the privy-marked gold ASE commemorating the same). I like it. I won't be buying it but I think it's attractive.

WWII_Press_release_290x290.png

markr, capthank, NSP and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

It’s okay, but with the current price of gold and the huge premium the mint charges for gold pieces, it’s going to be wicked expensive. I would not be surprised at an issue price of $1,800 with a gold content that is worth around $1,000.

Terrifrompa, capthank, NSP and 2 others like this.
  4. LakeEffect

LakeEffect Average Circulated Supporter

Agreed. Curious to see where this issue and the gold eagle are priced.

5. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Not a bad looker at all. Wonder what the mintage will be.

Mike Davis likes this.
  6. jfreakofkorn

jfreakofkorn Well-Known Member

Looks like about the size of a 10 dollar gold piece

Unique envision for the design tho . Could ve been a bit more busy with the design but that would ve taken a bit more time to introduce to the public . . .

capthank likes this.
  7. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Great, another 1/2 oz. gold token.

8. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

I think it's a coin not a token.

FWIW, the design appeals to me.

capthank likes this.
  9. 1865King

1865King Well-Known Member

Although I can see it has $25.00 on it it's really just a token or metal. Nothing more. I think they put the value on it just to suck more money out of collectors. It's a decent design but I think the reverse could have been done better.

10. Jim Dale

Jim Dale Well-Known Member

I saw a silver version will be produced as well. I'm hoping it will look the same as the gold version. I could afford the silver one, if, and only if the underproduce the "coin" and are sold out in 10 minutes or less. I think the Mint has that part down pat so that only the Rick, Mike, and all of the other TV personalities will have them and jack the price up 100 %.

Terrifrompa and capthank like this.
  11. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

At current prices and realising the Mint markup I'll pass for now!

12. Jim Dale

I can afford it. My wife is a "rich retired school teacher." If you believe that, I have a bridge in San Francisco for sale.

13. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

While no one in the right mind would spend this...by being issued with a face value it is technically government issued currency and can be used in commerce. For that reason it’s a coin and not a token.

goossen, Virginian and LakeEffect like this.
  14. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Which one? I'm interested in that Golden one but not the Bay or others.

markr likes this.
  15. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

As for the design of this coin, I think it is wasted with words when the space could better be used for an interesting design. I'll pass. In fact I'll pass on all of the mint sold items.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  16. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I think the obverse is pretty but the reverse is boring. I’d love one for close to spot but not for the mint issue price. Maybe I’ll grab one down the road if they price drops.

Terrifrompa likes this.
  17. Wintry Mix

Wintry Mix Member

It goes on sale Nov. 9th

18. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

I feel like there are about a hundred different options that would be more relevant for WWII. Honestly I haven’t been impressed with any mint offerings for the last 5-10 years

LakeEffect and YoloBagels like this.
  19. Jim Dale

Gosh! The fewer of you guys not buying, I might have a chance to get one of those overpriced coins.

20. ddddd

ddddd Member

LakeEffect likes this.
  21. Virginian

Virginian Well-Known Member

I tried explaining that. Since the Mint has also produced ACTUAL tokens, just thought it was worth keeping that clear. Oh, well.

CamaroDMD likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted