World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I don't believe it is German, and you would likely cause a fight suggesting that in Belgium as there is traditionally little love lost between Belgians and Germans. (They have been on opposite sides of wars too often!) I think it is Flemish or Walloon - the second language of Belgium.

Chris B likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

My mistake. I looked it up. It's French and Dutch.

Dutch looks similar to German.

"The coins were issued in two versions, French and Dutch. On the obverse of both coins there is a portrait of King Albert I. There are inscriptions Albert I and ALBERT ROI DES BELGES (the French coin version), ALBERT KONING DER BELGEN (the Dutch version of the coin) on the obverse."

20 Belgian francs (1867-1914) Coins

PaddyB likes this.
  4. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Belgium is divided between French-speaking Walloons (31 %) and Flemish (basically Dutch) speaking Flemings (58 %), plus a small contingent of German-speakers (0.7 %) and a lot of immigrants and foreign residents including all those EU bureaucrats (10 %). French, Dutch and German are all official languages but only French and Dutch appear on the coins. Way back there was apparently a Walloon language, basically a French dialect, but today the Walloons speak modern French with an accent and some local expressions. I have never understood the difference between Flemish and Dutch but I found this on the internet:

Pronunciation is one of the most noticeable difference between Dutch and Flemish. The Dutch language spoken in the Netherlands has more of an English influence, whilst the language in Flanders has a stronger French manifestation.

Dutch people also often mention that the Flemish dialect sounds softer. This is because the Dutch language makes use of stronger tones. The most obvious difference is in the pronunciation of the letter g. In the northern parts (pronounced g) the letter has a very guttural sound whereas in Flemish (pronounced ch) this letter is softer and sounds more like a hissing sound.

An example of pronunciation, the word nationaal is pronounced natzional in the Netherlands and nasional in Flanders.

Despite the fact that the Dutch language can generally be understood by the Flemish, their vocabulary can still differ to some extent. There are quite a few words in the Netherlands that do not appear in Flemish. In Flanders, when asking for an ATM, they would ask for a ‘bankcontact’, whereas in the Netherlands the term to use would be a ‘pinautomaat’. In addition, some words used in Dutch have different meanings than in Flemish. For example, Schoon: in Flanders, this word is used to indicate the beauty of something or someone. In the Netherlands they use this word to describe if something is clean.

5. talerman

Austria ORTENBURG Cardinal Christoph von Widmann Reichstaler 1656

Ortenburg Chris Widmann Taler 1656 LD obv 921.jpg Ortenburg Chris Widmann Taler 1656 LD rev 926.jpg

wcg, PaulTudor, Chris B and 5 others like this.
  6. Brendan Bohan

Brendan Bohan Member

Not the best images as I’m on vacation and don’t have access to my scanner, but this will be my first venture into the world of Thalers (besides Maria Theresa and German Empire stuff) and I’m excited to post it. I picked up this 1795 Prussia Konventionstaler in a small coin shop yesterday, probably my favorite coin I own now.
    05E834FF-5278-45AB-A6EA-7E0FE36E2AC8.jpeg 7CBF790F-9634-40DF-B2C0-37FBB68C806C.jpeg

Andy, PaulTudor, longshot and 8 others like this.
  7. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

That's a wonderful-looking Thaler, congrats.

Hookman and Brendan Bohan like this.
  8. Hookman

Thanks for the info.
    I never got that deep into it, which is probably why I thought it was German, which is what it looks like to me.
    Thanks for setting me straight.

9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

This is my first PCGS entombed coin and the earliest coin I own.

I'm pretty happy with this one.

Z

94f3a529ff7e4ac7a21045839958cfb4 (1).jpg

10. ZoidMeister

Not seen often, not as old as most, but I figured this would be appreciated here. It is silver after all.

Z

IMG_1882.JPG IMG_1883.JPG

Qsins, PaulTudor, Seattlite86 and 2 others like this.
  11. ZoidMeister

And I just can't help reposting this one. Probably the most beautiful coin in my posession.

Z

IMG_1770.JPG IMG_1769.JPG

12. ZoidMeister

Okay, I'll re-show the others too.

IMG_1773.JPG IMG_1774.JPG IMG_1771.JPG IMG_1772.JPG IMG_1775.JPG IMG_1776.JPG

13. Hookman

They're all pretty nice. Better than any of mine.

14. talerman

Germany BRUNSWICK-LUNEBURG-CALENBERG Ernst August Taler 1692

Br-Lun-Cal Ernst August  Taler 1692 LD obv 449.jpg Br-Lun-Cal Ernst August  Taler 1692 LD rev 454.jpg

15. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Kingdom of the Two Sicilies, 120 Grana, 1831, Ferdinando II
    Strange wear pattern. Most of the reverse is pretty clear, but some of the sections in the center-left of the shield are almost completely worn off.
    I was happy to get it at $45. I've never seen one before.
    Kingdom of the Two Sicilies 120 Grana 1831.jpg

16. Hookman

Neither have I. It's interesting. I had to look it up. Thanks for the link.

The Eidolon likes this.
  17. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

1699 Hohenlohe taler
    DFBEBA92-FDD1-436E-9A20-153B870340F3.jpeg FE556FFC-40DE-4744-ABDC-67C2A5A44B3D.jpeg

Theodosius, talerman, Chris B and 2 others like this.
  18. Hookman

19. talerman

Spanish Netherlands BRABANT Charles II Ducaton 1673 Antwerp mint 42.5 mm 32.52 g

Brabant Charles II Ducaton 1673 LD obv 660.jpg Brabant Charles II Ducaton 1673 LD rev 667.jpg

Attached Files:

longshot, Chris B, Hookman and 3 others like this.
  20. talerman

Spanish Netherlands FLANDERS Charles II Double Ducaton 1670 Bruges mint 45 mm 65.11 g

This has the same design as the Brabant Ducaton above, except the Count of Flanders title instead of Duke of Brabant and the fleur-de-lys instead of the hand mintmark between the date - and, of course, the weight.

Flanders Charles II 2 Ducaton 1670 LD obv 706.jpg Flanders Charles II 2 Ducaton 1670 LD rev 714.jpg

wcg, longshot, Chris B and 3 others like this.
  21. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I know this isn't the best example but I have wanted one of these for awhile.

Net163805.jpg

1638 or 9 Netherlands West Friesland Lion Daalder

Draft saved Draft deleted