World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Germany Talers of the Bishopric of MUNSTER

Christoph Bernhard von Galen Coesfelder Kreuztaler 1659

Galen was a warlike bishop, even by the standards of 17th century Germany. In 1650, he succeeded Ferdinand of Bavaria, Archbishop of Cologne, as Bishop of Münster. The bishop recruited 1500 soldiers from the Imperial army in 1651 when the Peace of Westphalia brought the 30 Years' War to an end. He increased his army to 3000 in 1654 to make war on his Protestant neighbours, especially the Calvinist United Provinces of the Netherlands. He invaded the Netherlands in 1665 in alliance with England and in 1672 with an army of 25,000 men in alliance with France and Cologne. Both wars ended in an inconclusive treaty between the major powers. The Dutch called him Bommen Berend (Bomber Bernhard) because of his successful mortar attacks on Dutch cities. In 1675-6. he conquered the duchies of Bremen and Werden belonging to Sweden at the head of an allied army..

When Galen in 1657 asked the city of Münster to lodge and feed his soldiers, they refused on the grounds that the city had always managed its own defence. The problem was solved by Galen laying siege to the city in 1661, which capitulated after 2 months. The bishop abolished free city elections and appointed 2 new mayors and 12 councillors of his own.

Munster Bish Chris Bernh v Galen Taler 1659 LD obv 981.jpg Munster Bish Chris Bernh v Galen Taler 1659 LD rev 986.jpg

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. talerman

Germany NUREMBERG Emperor Ferdinand II Reichstaler n.d. (1632 ?)

Nuremberg Ferd II Taler nd 1632 obv 296.jpg Nuremberg Ferd II Taler nd 1632 rev 298.jpg

Germany NUREMBERG Emperor Ferdinand II 2 Reichstaler 1627

Nuremberg Ferd II 2 Taler 1627 obv 476.jpg Nuremberg Ferd II 2 Taler 1627 rev 479.jpg

4. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Mexico, 8 Reales, 1894 Mo
    A little nicer than the silvers I usually collect, but the price was right. Even though this series ran for a long time (1824-1897), this is my first of the type. I have some earlier colonial 8 reales and later 1 peso coins, but none of these until now.
    Mexico 8 Reales 1894.jpg

5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Yeah, I like these a lot. I have many of the more modern Pesos. Very few of the older 8 Reales. They're usually quite expensive.
    I suspect that on eBay your coin would be $80 to $100 or even more.
    NGC books it at $30 in XF and $110 in MS 60.
    There's about $20 worth of silver in the coin.

Your's is really nice.

6. Hookman

7. The Eidolon

Thanks for the pricing info! I paid $45, which I thought was a pretty good price.

8. Hookman

I would have bought it. Look them up on eBay. First, see what sellers are asking for them. Then look under completed listings to see what they actually sold for.

Be sure to match the year, mint mark, and assayer's initials. Small differences in those can make wide swings in values. Watch for counterfeits also.

MIGuy and The Eidolon like this.
  9. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

My first new coin since May.

Sardinia, 5 Lire
    Pyd2g6jZseC89xfXiSH54ZbET7Rw3x.jpeg

10. talerman

Germany Bishopric of BAMBERG Sede Vacante Reichstaler 1693

Emperor Heinrich II (1014-24), who appears on the obverse under a canopy, obtained permission for the foundation of the diocese of Bamberg from parts of the dioceses of Würzburg and Eichstätt at a synod on 1 November 1007. He was canonized by Pope Eugene III in 1146 for his piety and promotion of the Church, the only emperor to have been made a saint.

Bamberg Bish Sede Vacante Taler 1693 LD obv 883.jpg Bamberg Bish Sede Vacante Taler 1693 LD rev 891.jpg

wcg, MIGuy, Hookman and 5 others like this.
  11. willieboyd2

willieboyd2 First Class Poster

My Victoria Crowns and a Double Florin:

[​IMG]
    Britain Crown 1888
    Silver, 38 mm, 28.13 gm

[​IMG]
    Britain Crown 1890
    Silver, 38 mm, 27.98 gm

[​IMG]
    Britain Double Florin 1887
    Silver, 36 mm, 22.56 gm

:)

Last edited: Jul 25, 2021
    MIGuy, PaulTudor, Hookman and 4 others like this.
  12. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Not usually my area but I have hankered after one of these Thalers with the Hapsburg chin for a while. This one, because of the repaired mount, was within budget for a change. Augsburg Thaler, 1641:
    Augsberg T 1641 1-side.JPG

13. talerman

1st of August is Swiss National day so here is a

ZURICH Wasertaler (or Hochmutstaler) 1660

This Taler got the name Wasertaler because the lily on the reverse was thought to be a sign of the pro-French mayor Johann Heinrich Waser, an avid proponent of the renewal of the alliance with France (the French arms were, of course, 3 lilies). Allegedly he personally ordered the addition of the lily . It was also called a Hochmutstaler ( Haughtiness Taler).

Zurich Wasertaler 1660 obv 009.jpg Zurich Wasertaler 1660 rev 015.jpg

wcg, Seattlite86, MIGuy and 4 others like this.
  14. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

My brain is not functioning too well these days as I've been {un} officially diagnosed with Alzheimer's {by my ex-wife}. Nonetheless weren't these 1st coined in 1823, not 24? Of course, those are Hooknecks, but they have the Cap & Rays obv.

The Eidolon likes this.
  15. The Eidolon

I don't know. I got the dates off the Numista page I linked.
    Perhaps the 1823 is considered a different type?
    This Federal Mexico 1823 8 reales has a slightly different design, even though it has the eagle and the cap and rays motif.

16. The Eidolon

Denmark, 2 Kroner, 1930 (60th birthday of King Christian X commemorative)
    Probably a "junk" silver purchase from the late 1990s for near melt.
    I didn't realize it was a non-circulating commemorative. I believe it is the same size/weight/fineness as the earlier silver 2 kroner series of 1875-1916 (various types at 15 g of .800 silver). But I guess by 1924 the circulation 2 kroner coins were made of aluminum-bronze, so maybe a silver one wouldn't have circulated.
    Denmark 2 Krone 1930.jpg

17. The Eidolon

My France large silvers collection. Many of them are holed, most of them were cheap (~$10-20).
    ob.jpg rev.jpg
    L to R from top:
    1 Écu, Louis XV, 1734
    5 Francs, 1st Republic, L'an 6 = 1797
    5 Francs, Napoleon, 1813
    5 Francs, Louis XVIII, 1817
    5 Francs, Charles X, 1828
    5 Francs, Louis Philippe I, 1837
    5 Francs, 2nd Republic, 1849
    5 Francs, 3rd Republic, 1873
    20 Francs, 3rd Republic, 1934
    10 Francs, 5th Republic, 1967

18. The Eidolon

A couple more I don't think I've ever posted:
    Belgium, 5 Francs, 1870, Leopold II
    Belgium 5 Francs 1870.jpg

Italy, 5 Lira, 1874, Vittorio Emanuele II
    Italy 5 Lira 1874.jpg

Seattlite86, Chris B, PaddyB and 2 others like this.
  19. The Eidolon

Bremen, 1865 Thaler, 2nd German Shooting Festival Commemorative, holed
    Pity about the hole. But I got it for $12.50, which is a tad under melt.
    Bremen 1865 Thaler holed.jpg

20. Hookman

I have some of those Belgium 5 Francs, but not any of the Italian 5 Lire. The 5 Francs are sometimes inscribed in French (Des Belges) and sometimes in German (Der Belgen). That's a nice condition coin for the 5 Francs. Considering how rare/scarce the 5 L is, that's not bad condition for it either.

That's a nice shooting medal Eidolon, even with the hole. Since they were given as awards for shooting ability, many of them were holed and worn as medals.
    It says "20 German shooting clubs in Bremen 1865/Free City-State Bremen, 1 Taler Gold".
    Is that piece gold?

Nice Items!

The Eidolon likes this.
  21. Hookman

That's not a very common coin at all, is it. It's in very good condition, to my eye anyway.

Draft saved Draft deleted