World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

Mexico, 5 pesos silver, 1947
    Ob.jpg Rev.jpg

Went on a school trip to Mexico around 1989. By that time the 1985-88 brass 5
    pesos
    (3 g, 17 mm) no longer circulated due to high inflation. I think we got a brass one once in change from a tortilla shop, but other places the smallest coin you could get in change was 10 pesos. The peso has since been revalued by 1000:1.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Nathan F

Nathan F Well-Known Member

Picked up these two Latin crown-sized coins. My first Mexico 8 Reale and Cuban Peso.
    image.jpg
    image.jpg

4. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

5. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Germany City of COLOGNE Emperor Rudolf II Taler 1611

Cologne City Taler  1611 LD obv 301.jpg Cologne City Taler  1611 LD rev 307.jpg

6. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

1563 St Gall taler, just won it last night!
    @talerman Just wanted to ask you which one was the first St Gall taler as i can't find too much info atm ?

21303.1.68_1.jpg

7. 1934 Wreath Crown

1934 Wreath Crown Well-Known Member

Picked up a couple of high grade Crowns recently

GB 1820 George III Crown MS64

1820 Crown MS64.jpg

1820 Crown Rev MS64.jpg

And this 1930 Wreath Crown at MS+ is (I believe) the second highest graded to date

1930 Crown Obv.jpg

1930 Crown Rev.jpg

1930 Crown Grade.jpg

8. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

large silver.jpg
    30 years of "junk" silver collecting. Some at melt, some a little more.
    I wonder what's worth labeling and packaging in flips.

9. talerman

You have it ! 1563 - and in nice condition too. Congratulations ! Very attractive coin.

Do you know the legend behind the bear ? According to the 9th-century hagiographies, St. Gall or Gallus (c. 550 – c. 646) was a disciple and one of the traditional twelve companions of Saint Columbanus on his mission from Ireland to the continent. When in 612 Columbanus travelled on to Italy from Bregenz, Gall had to remain behind due to illness and was nursed at Arbon. He remained in Alemannia, where, with several companions, he led the life of a hermit in the forests near Lake Constance. Gall was soon known in Switzerland as a powerful preacher.

A popular story has it that as St Gall was travelling in the woods of what is now Switzerland, he was sitting one evening warming his hands at a fire. A bear emerged from the woods and charged. The holy man rebuked the bear, so, awed by his presence, it stopped its attack and slunk off to the trees. There it gathered firewood before returning to share the heat of the fire with St Gall. The legend says that for the rest of his days St Gall was followed around by his companion the bear

Apart from the City, the Abbey of St. Gallen also struck coins. The first Taler was struck by Abbot Bernhard Müller von Ochsenhausen in 1622. The reverse shows the bear looking up at St. Gall. I am afraid it is not in as good condition as your City Taler.

St Gallen Abbey Bernh Muller v Ochs Taler 1622  LD obv 347.jpg St Gallen Abbey Bernh Muller v Ochs Taler 1622  LD rev 352.jpg

10. PaulTudor

Thank you for the info, couldn't find it anywhere! Should it not be in any catalogue? I was aware of the legend and it's very fascinating to be honest . I did my research about the bear on these talers when i got my 1620,1621 pieces. Your 1622 Abbey issue is very interesting and very rare in any grade i believe, there's a piece like this in the next Rauch auction, but it won't be a cheap one for sure!

11. talerman

The references for your coin are Davenport 8792, HMZ 2-885a and Iklé-Steinlin (Die Münzen der Stadt St.Gallen, Geneva 1911) 18-22. Your variety is 22 and Iklé-Steinlin gives another reference, Wunderly 2595.

PaulTudor likes this.
  12. PaulTudor

Sold my 1636 Brabant ducaton and got an upgrade of the same date.

4295CA55-3F10-43FE-97CC-DB84F132330A.jpeg E5D71801-EA97-42BF-BD9A-F764642E4A4F.jpeg

Morgandude11, MIGuy, longshot and 4 others like this.
  13. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

1770 Bavaria silver crown, I guess I'd call it? It's about 39 mm. Only things I can really make out are the date, BAVARIAE, & PATRONA. And unfortunately it looks like someone scratched up one side. Can anyone ID this? TIA DSC_0003.JPG DSC_0004.JPG

longshot, capthank and PaddyB like this.
  14. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

The Unc. coins, like the Canada ones, I'd put in safe-flips, or the 2x2 cardboard & cello holders that you staple. The coin in the middle, 3rd row down, with the woman with the scarf, that looks interesting. Do you know what it is?

MIGuy likes this.
  15. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Here is a link to your coin: https://www.ngccoin.com/price-guide...-km-519.1-1760-1777-cuid-1138873-duid-1341872

Those "scratches" may just be adjustment marks. Hard to tell from the pictures.

16. PaulTudor

Those are indeed adj. marks , very common for this type and for the Ragusa ones.

17. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

I believe you are looking at the Maria Theresa thaler. They are all dated 1780, but were minted in large quantities by different countries over a large span of time. Just off the top of my head, do a bit of research on them.

MIGuy likes this.
  18. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I picked this up an 1820 Crown with King George III with a low ball bid over the Thanksgiving holiday. King George III ruled from 1760 until his death in January, 1820 at Windsor Castle. It's not an uncommon coin and it's not in great shape, but the history intrigued me.
    (sellers photos)
    s-l1600.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg

Morgandude11, Mr. Flute and Chris B like this.
  19. PaulTudor

1706 Graz and 1682 Salzburg talers.
    1.jpeg 2.jpeg 3.jpeg 4.jpeg

Last edited: Dec 2, 2020
  20. PaulTudor

1734 ducaton, Gelderland , most likely a shipwreck piece .

95BE92F7-8337-4945-9CAF-4E98A24F8F68.jpeg
    88228DB9-1D44-4745-8FB1-27AA6D15C902.jpeg

21. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Wow, I don't think I have seen one of those before. I like it.

PaulTudor likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted