World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

1758 Ragusa Tallero. Better one with a good rev/ no adj. marks.

08A38331-34F7-4424-85B9-CABD55A78700.jpeg FFE7CA46-874C-42BF-81C9-2E7120BCCBC7.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GeneralWaste

GeneralWaste New Member

I recently bought this 1910B UK Trade Dollar. I know it has been cleaned but i've always wanted one of these beauties and am super happy to finally own one.

20201110_004128.jpg 20201110_004249.jpg

4. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

5. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

@brg5658 nice coin but where are the horses? ;)

talerman likes this.
  6. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

I had the same thought. Maybe the lions are a substitute.

7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Me too!

GeneralWaste likes this.
  8. brg5658

brg5658 Supporter! Supporter

I do not only collect horse coins. :p

9. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

Well I, too, am attracted to well-struck, nicely toned, high grade examples but I also find truly scarce types, in whatever grade, to be of interest.

Here is a crown of the Principality of Monaco from 1655. It is variously called a scudo, as are the crowns of its Italian neighbors, or an écu of 60 sols in alignment with its very close neighbor, France. Its reigning monarch, at the time of this coin's issue, was Honoré II, Prince of Monaco from 1604 to 1662, of the Grimaldi family, the line which continues to rule Monaco to this day.

1655_MC_1SCb.jpg

10. PaulTudor

Been waiting for weeks to drop my bid on this one and fortunately managed to get it today, a 1536 Mansfeld taler that i find very well struck and preserved for the type, plus i couldn't track any past sales of the date so i'm sure it's very rare. Will post some better pics once i get it!

02429Q00.jpg

11. GeneralWaste

GeneralWaste New Member

How do you know something like this is genuine? I only started coin collecting this year and if someone were to hand that too me i would think it was fake, the pitting and the blobs of metal on the edges make me uneasy, almost like a cast coin. I am not in anyway knowledgeable about coins from that era although i do like them. Can you explain how to determine if something like that is real?

12. PaulTudor

Know the coin or know the dealer! This one has the right weight (28.8), diameter (41) and it's ex. Naumann, Busso Peus.

talerman likes this.
  13. PaulTudor

What do you think about this 1609 Hohenlohe taler?

5.jpg

Theodosius and Chris B like this.
  14. GeneralWaste

GeneralWaste New Member

To my laymans eye it looks ok, the text looks a bit squishy but i don't know if that's the design or not. I'd have to reference it with a verified coin. The one i quoted earlier just looked strange to me because of the pitting and extra blobs of metal. Does that indicate that it may have been buried for a long period which ate some of the metal away? or was the die rusty or poorly made? i really don't know much about coinage from these eras but i want to learn.

15. PaulTudor

This coin was on ebay listed as a Mansfeld taler, which is not and i was ready for the 'kill' until i asked the seller to check its weight on 2 different scales and the result in both cases was aprox 24 grams, therefore the coin is fake since the normal weight is aprox 28.5-29.2grams. Also it has a barely noticeable difference from a genuine one, at end of the tail. For the Koln taler, it could be a mixture of a poor strike, corrosion, rusty dies. If you want to learn , this page is a good start, but obviously you'll have to research a lot on your own.

16. GeneralWaste

GeneralWaste New Member

Interesting, thanks for the information.

PaulTudor likes this.
  17. ycon

ycon Renaissance Man

This morning I won my first (half) crown sized coin-- and for a steal I might add. I undoubtedly won't have it in hand for many months, so hopefully I'm not tempting fate too much by posting it here. Mezza Piastra of Cosimo I de' Medici:

1448785_1602603400.l.jpg

18. GeneralWaste

GeneralWaste New Member

Got this 1905 Japanese 1 Yen coin a few months ago. It has a few punchmarks on it, not sure what they are as two are hard to read and the third isn't a Chinese or Japanese character i recognize. These 1 yen coins minted from 1901 onwards were only legal tender in the Japanese occupied Taiwan and were minted for use there.
    20201116_012011.jpg 20201116_011914.jpg

Morgandude11, talerman and Chris B like this.
  19. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Germany MAGDEBURG, City or JEVER or possibly EMDEN Augsburg Interim Taler n.d (1549-51)

This coin is really more a political token than a regular coin. It was struck to protest Emperor Charles V's Augsburg Interim of 1548 laying down 26 articles of (basically Catholic) faith. No issuer is identified on the coin but it was traditionally attributed to Magdeburg, a hotbed of Protestant opposition (where it appears in Davenport as D.9445 and in Krause as KM.MB A5). However, according to the latest research it was struck in Jever. This coin is full Taler size (41 mm, 28.59 g) but it is also found in lower weights.

The legends and pictures reflect the passions of the time:

Obv. rose DIT(h)*IS*MIN*LEVE*SON(e)*DEN*S(chole)*GI*HO(ren) (this is my beloved Son......hear ye him (Matthew 17,5) in low German) John the Baptist baptising kneeling Jesus , above Holy Ghost in form of dove, in circle
    Rev. rose PACKE*DI(ch)*SATHAN* DV*INTERIM* (get thee hence, Satan (of the Interim), (an adaption of Matthew 5,10) in low German) Christ facing Satan in form of dragon with 3 human heads (angel, pope and Turk) and one lion's head in abdomen, in circle (temptation of Christ in the desert)

Magdeburg or Jever Aug Interimtaler nd (1549) rev 608.jpg

Magdeburg or Jever Aug Interimtaler nd (1549) obv 607.jpg

20. PaulTudor

1576 daalder
    91B0675F-98E7-496E-8793-BCC10AD6DBB0.jpeg ADBD99CA-AEC6-41E6-9CD2-53859BB318B4.jpeg

talerman and Chris B like this.
  21. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

From today's Davisson's LTD sale.

Swe169301.jpg

SWEDEN. Karl XI. 1660-1697. AR 8 mark.

Weight: 30.74 gm
    Diameter: 40 mm

Obverse: His draped bust right
    Reverse: Crowned arms
    Edge: Lettered

Note: Davenport 4539

Mint: Stockholm
    Mint Master: Anders Strommer

Ex Stephen Album Auction 29 (14-15 September 2017) lot 966. Noted there as Ex Dr. John Lund Collection.
    Ex Davissons Ltd Auction 37, Lot 174

talerman, PaulTudor and Maxfli like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted