World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

1599 Braunschweig wespentaler. Finally managed to get one !

EB82E4AA-E1BA-4135-A673-B306CDFE2E24.jpeg 612E0D47-EC28-45E3-A8CB-C21B5871E264.jpeg

Theodosius, ZoidMeister, wcg and 6 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

Nice. I have one as well. It is interesting that the obverse is very obviously from a different die. It makes me wonder how many different dies were used. Mine looks like a match to the on ngccoin.com.

GerBru159905.jpg

Theodosius, wcg, ZoidMeister and 6 others like this.
  4. PaulTudor

Thanks!I knew you have it , also wcg has one! I think there's around 3-4 dies, but could be more!

5. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

PaulTudor likes this.
  6. PaulTudor

Thank you Robert!

7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

PaulTudor likes this.
  8. PaulTudor

Thank you!There's only one on ma-shops atm, there used to be around 3-4 some time ago, but i'm not surprised they're gone!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  9. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

Two additions to my world crown collection:

coins_20201112.jpg

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Seattlite86 and PaulTudor like this.
  10. talerman

Germany Balkan imitation of City of LUBECK Taler 1559

This crude copy of a Lubeck Taler was probably struck in the Balkans for trade with the Ottoman Empire

Lubeck copy of Taler 1559 obv 810.jpg Lubeck copy of Taler 1559 rev 812.jpg

wcg, Seattlite86, PaulTudor and 2 others like this.
  11. PaulTudor

Got my Nassau-Usingen taler today, 1809L, Dav. 737, KM 4, first issue and the rarest, 1400 mintage.

1BE5E57C-C851-452F-BE10-2AF213594208.jpeg
    B1A8EA9E-B689-4FE9-A8CE-7FFAA69B3ABB.jpeg

Eduard, wcg, Seattlite86 and 4 others like this.
  12. PaulTudor

1791 8 reales, Bolivia, Potosi, from the HMS Athenienne, sunk in 1806. Not a common shipwreck i'd say and my second one after a 1732 ducaton from Vliegenhart. Still to get a piece from Cazador, Hollandia and Rooswijk!

1.jpg 3.jpg
    *Seller's pictures

Theodosius, longshot, Eduard and 5 others like this.
  13. PaulTudor

1658 Saxony Vicariate taler. Got this one from the last Hess Divo auction, from 'The Horserider Collection of a Japanese Gentleman', one of the cheapest sold, though not a cheap piece, but the rest of the collection was simply outrageous.

F5A3F1CC-9B2A-40D9-9C47-EC44699E9482.jpeg
    CA55D10F-156C-4BDA-89BF-015744D49045.jpeg

14. talerman

Here's a similar Double Vicariat Taler struck by his father

Germany SAXONY, Albertine Line Johann Georg I 2 Reichstaler 1619 struck for the Vicariat after Emperor Matthias' death

Saxony Alb Joh Geo I  2 Vicariat Taler 1619 obv 621.jpg Saxony Alb Joh Geo I  2 Vicariat Taler 1619 rev 623.jpg

Attached Files:

15. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

1589-magdeburg-taler-obv.jpg 1589-magdeburg-rev.jpg Excited about a new addition: 1589 Magdeburg taler struck during the seat of Joachim Fredrick, Administrator of Magdeburg (1566-1598). Classified as DAV- 9444. The taler was issued during the waning years of the bishopric which fell to the Duke of Saxe-Weissenfels in 1635 after the Thirty Years War, and ultimately was secularized in 1680 when it was assigned to Brandenburg-Prussia. Of particular note is Magdeburg’s prominent role in the protestant reformation. Protestantism was taking root by the mid 1500s, and the rule of the archbishop was replaced by administrators in the decades before this taler was struck. Martin Luther was a young student in Magdeburg, and his writings were first published in Magdeburg.

16. talerman

Nice coin. However, I don't think it is quite true that the rule of the archbishop was replaced by administrators - the archbishops became the administrators. Joachim Friedrich was elected Archbishop of Magdeburg in 1566 on the death of his uncle Siegmund but, as a Calvinist, he was not confirmed by the Pope. However, he remained Administrator of the Archbishopric - as shown in the legend on your coin - until he succeeded his father as Elector of Brandenburg in 1598.
    He then had his youngest son, Christian Wilhelm, aged 11, elected archbishop of Magdeburg in 1598 but his election was not confirmed by the emperor and the city did not recognize him. When he married in 1614, he took the title of Lutheran administrator. He also became coadjutor of the bishopric of Halberstadt (and in 1624 administrator). Unfortunately, he then got involved with the Thirty Years' War. Fighting on the Protestant side in alliance with Denmark, he was defeated by Wallenstein in 1629 and fled abroad. The cathedral chapter formally deposed him in 1631. He tried unsuccessfully to reconquer Magdeburg and he was badly injured during the siege of 1631. He was taken up in the army camp Pappenheim, where his wounds were tended and Jesuits persuaded him to convert to Catholicism. Although he had been nominally been replaced as Archbishop by the Catholic Habsburg Leopold Wilhelm of Austria, under the Peace of Prague of 1635, he still received an annual sum of 12000 taler from the revenues of the archbishopric of Magdeburg. Archbishoprics and bishoprics were all about money in those days. (My thanks to Wikipedia for most of this).

Here is an issue of Christian Wilhelm with the title Administrator of Magdeburg

Germany Archbishopric of MAGDEBURG Christian Wilhelm von Brandenburg, Administrator Reichstaler 1623

Magdeburg Archbish Christian Wilh v Brand Taler 1623 LD obv 031.jpg Magdeburg Archbish Christian Wilh v Brand Taler 1623 LD rev 039.jpg

17. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Beautiful piece @talerman ! I think you described the history of Magdeburg much more accurately; my attempt at being concise mischaracterized some fascinating and turbulant history. One could argue the the tensions between protestants and catholics in Magdeburg was a microcosm of a larger European power struggle that set the stage for the destructive Thirty Year War (in which Magdeburg suffered a heavy toll).

18. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

Your comment is visible if one clicks on the option "show whole
    Your comment is visible if one clicks on the option "Click to expand" under the ghosted text. But I'll admit you're doing something strange, comments usually appear in white under the pink text replied to.

19. talerman

These coins do not qualify for a World silver crown-size thread but they are relevant to a discussion on Magdeburg during the 30 Years' War so I hope followers of this thread will forgive me.

On March 6, 1629, Emperor Ferdinand II issued the so-called Restitutionsedikt under which the archbishopric of Magdeburg (and other bishoprics) were to be returned to the Catholics . The city resisted and failed to pay a levy of 150,000 talers . Wallenstein laid siege but his armies withdrew after about 6 months due partly to sickness and bad weather, In 1630 Swedish soldiers arrived to support Magdeburg. However, in March 1631 Magdeburg was besieged again by imperial troops and sacked in May.

The following emergency coins were struck during the 1629 siege. As you will notice, both have a rose countermark. I have been unable to discover who stamped on the c/m or for what purpose. If anyone knows, I would be very interested.

MAGDEBURG, City Siege Groschen 1629

Magdeburg City Siege Groschen 1629 obv 077.jpg Magdeburg City Siege Groschen 1629 rev 078.jpg

MAGDEBURG, City Siege 12 Groschen 1629
    Magdeburg City Siege 12 Groschen 1629 with rose cm obv  106.jpg Magdeburg City Siege 12 Groschen 1629 with rose cm rev  113.jpg

To get this posting back within the rules of the World silver crown-size thread, here is another Taler of Christian Wilhelm, the archbishop/administrator at the time. It is very similar to the 1623 Taler I posted yesterday.

Germany Archbishopric of MAGDEBURG Christian Wilhelm von Brandenburg, Administrator Reichstaler 1624

Magdeburg Archbish Christian Wilh Taler 1624  obv 569.jpg

Magdeburg Archbish Christian Wilh Taler 1624  rev 571.jpg

wcg, Chris B, PaddyB and 3 others like this.
  20. talerman

Yes, I had noticed you could see my comment if you clicked on Click to expand but I feared most people would not be as diligent as you. Thank you.

21. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

FYI, this is likely from having a slower internet connection and starting to type right after you click the reply button, but before it loads the message you are replying to. That has happened to me a number of times.

Draft saved Draft deleted