World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Exeter 1645 over 4 crown. Besly dies D17 with mm. Tower/Ex. The coins with obverses C & D paired with reverses 16 & 17 were the earliest coins struck at Exeter in 1645, using reverse dies prepared in 1644 but probably left on the shelf for 6 months or more. The extensive run of 1644 dated Exeter coins would mostly have been struck in the first 5 months of the year to pay the Royalists under Prince Maurice engaging Parliamentary forces around Lyme Regis and others under Grenville laying siege to Plymouth, these supplemented by Charles with approx. 5000 men in July/August. However, once Charles had defeated the Earl of Essex at Lostwithiel in August/September 1644, the only Royalist force required was that surrounding Plymouth. With most Royalist troops dispersed to Oxford & Berkshire and the Welsh Marches, the requirement for coin was much reduced.

This coin ex
    P W P Carlyon-Britton 108, Sotheby 1/11/1900
    H W Morrieson 449, Sotheby 20/11/1933
    E E Yates, collection bt Baldwin 1938
    H M Lingford 194, Glendining 24/10/1950
    Glendining 3/10/1988, lot 208
    SNC 12/1988-7876
    A Barr 50, Rasmussen 2004 (from Spink 1991)
    ‘Swaffield Family Collection’, Rasmussen list 23/C78, 11/9/2012
    upload_2020-9-10_22-16-16.jpeg

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Fascinating. Your knowledge of these complicated Civil War issues is very impressive.

ZoidMeister likes this.
  4. robp

robp Well-Known Member

The coins follow the troops. No troops or very few troops mean there is a much reduced need to coin from plate, as a local levy may suffice - or at least until funds run out or they refuse to pay!

5. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

The provenance on that coin is amazing.

6. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

Can anyone help me ID this 1569 Thaler size coin? DSC_0027.JPG DSC_0020.JPG

Attached Files:

tibor, Seattlite86, longshot and 2 others like this.
  7. talerman

This appears to be

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY Emperor Maximilian II Guldentaler (60 Kreuzer) 1569 Joachimstal mint (Bohemian lion mm at bottom of obv.)

The emperor should be carrying the Imperial orb in his left hand, although it is not very clear on your coin. The diameter should be about 39.3 mm and the weight about 24.28 g.

WoodyWW and PaulTudor like this.
  8. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

Guldentaler! I posted the 1568 one a few months ago! Nice coin!

9. WoodyWW

WoodyWW Junior Member

Thanks! I saved the info. you (talerman) provided. 2 questions:

Could it be worth having that Guldentaler graded by PCGS, or NCG, or ANACS? (I know there are collectors who hate the idea of slabbed coins; I'm not one of them).

I have a few more very old silver coins; a couple seem to have Russian language. Should I post them here?

thanks again

10. PaulTudor

1744 Augsburg taler, Charles VII, House of Wittelsbach, emperor from 1743 to 1745.

B4932943-8F36-48F5-899D-2A3BAC1744D9.jpeg 9EC2EE5F-5129-4E76-BA7E-6FE40347B434.jpeg

11. ColonialCoinsUK

ColonialCoinsUK Well-Known Member

Although I usually collect minors I do have a few crowns - one from Napoleon France-5F-AN13I-Ocrop.jpg France-5F-AN13I-Rcrop.jpg

12. talerman

I am not the right person to ask about slabbing. I have never sent in a coin for slabbing in my life. I prefer my coins unslabbed so that I can measure the diameter and weight accurately and examine the coins closely, including the edge. Also, I do not think the standard American grading system captures the complexities of condition of 16th and 17th century coins. However, I recognize that some collectors, particularly in the USA, are willing to pay a premium for the certainty offered by slabbed coins. I have no idea whether the premium in the case of your Guldentaler would be greater than the cost of getting it slabbed.

This thread is on large size silver coins. If you have some Russian roubles, we would love to see them. If you have smaller denominations, perhaps you should start a new thread on Russian coins. There are many experts on Coin Talk who would chime in.

PaulTudor likes this.
  13. talerman

Two Talers of Cologne

Germany Archbishopric of COLOGNE Adolf III von Schauenburg Taler 1556

Cologne Archbish Adolf III v Schauenburg Taler 1556 obv 005.jpg Cologne Archbish Adolf III v Schauenburg Taler 1556 rev 010.jpg

Archbishopric of COLOGNE Johann Gebhard von Mansfeld Taler 1558

Cologne Archbish Joh Gebhard v Mansfeld Taler 1558 LD obv 014.jpg
    Cologne Archbish Joh Gebhard v Mansfeld Taler 1558 LD rev 024.jpg

tibor, Seattlite86, longshot and 4 others like this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

15. talerman

AUSTRIA-HUNGARY Emperor Ferdinand II Reichstaler 1625 St. Pölten mint

Austria Hungary Ferd II Taler 1625 St Polten LD obv 113.jpg Austria Hungary Ferd II Taler 1625 St Polten LD rev 118.jpg

ZoidMeister, tibor, Gallienus and 4 others like this.
  16. PaulTudor

1551 Stolberg taler, ex Emporium Hamburg 14, 1988, unsold by G.Hirsch, bought by me from Dannenberg. Decided to bid for It even though it has the graffiti mark , as it’s well struck for the type , probably XF, plus i love the Stolberg talers, this being my second one.

F5212454-49D1-48A2-BD56-34DD751EA21F.jpeg 6199FAF7-988F-40BB-BA9E-378996F8B3D6.jpeg

17. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I find these quite appealing as well. They are kind of plain when compared to many Thalers but people are drawn to them. When I have the opportunity to show off my collection, my Stolberg Thaler seems to get a lot of attention.

PaulTudor likes this.
  18. PaulTudor

Two years ago it was only a dream for me to get a Stolberg taler and i have to admit , there is something special about them
    PS. I like the design of your piece a lot, also managed to find out that the one facing left that Robert(talerman) has , is actually unique!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Chris B likes this.
  19. talerman

I suppose you mean heraldic left - right in common parlance. I had forgotten I had posted that coin.
    There are a few other examples of stags facing right. The most spectacular is a 1710 Double Death Taler of Ernst of STOLBERG-WERNIGERODE (Dav.-LS 489, KM 57, Friederich 1385). The obverse has a beautiful picture of a stag right emerging from a river with the legend SALVTIS RIPAM TENEO (I have reached safe shore) and the reverse many lines of biographical data. I have a photo from WAG but it is a tif file and the Coin Talk system does not seem to allow me to upload it.
    The Friederich Collection auctioned in 1914 included a 17th century Ludwig Georg medal with a right-facing stag:

Stolberg-Stolberg Ludwig Georg Medal (1) (2).jpg

Right-facing stags also appear in multi-field arms of Ludwig of Stolberg-Koenigstein and on a few mediaeval bracteates.

You really have to be a bit crazy to get interested in this kind of detail. As has been said, all the Stolberg stag coins are very attractive.

20. PaulTudor

I meant to say stag facing right, the 1551 piece!This is the 2 taler i believe, sold for 6750 euros before premium.

4387814.jpg

21. talerman

Thank you, that's the one !

Theodosius and PaulTudor like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted