World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Very interesting piece. This must be one of the first coins ever struck in aluminium.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. robp

robp Well-Known Member

The Taylor restrikes of Soho pieces must be earlier because he died in 1885, but it is fair to say that with aluminium effectively a precious metal prior to its widespread commercial availability from 1883-4 onward, any strikings in this metal were going to be very much a limited edition and expensive. After this however, the metal was extensively used in many countries.

4. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

Heidrun Hoehn Leipzig, a german auction house, they usually auction quite a few Mansfeld pieces and sold one like this a few years ago. The only difference i could find between this and the common one is the one dot vs two dots on the obv. after DO. In any case, probably the only rare Mansfel talers are the early types , the 1520', multiple ones, death talers and of course the top grades and strikes!

talerman likes this.
  5. PaulTudor

His money management skills were good though:))
    Sadly many of these coins have mount marks, were plugged, poor grades, tooled, so getting a well preserved one, that has a beautiful/interesting theme will be expensive most of the time!

Gallienus likes this.
  6. PaulTudor

1701 Passau taler, Augsburg mint, Johann Philipp of Lamberg

3220B2B8-E22C-4343-A182-11BA5C87640C.jpeg 08CDEB14-6B72-43B8-9C99-964868425CD0.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  7. robp

robp Well-Known Member

Charles I Gp.3 crown with mm. triangle over anchor over tun on the obverse and triangle over anchor on the reverse. This is Cooper dies XVII*/XXIV* and appears to be the best available of this die combination. The best available with the other reverse die (XXV*) is a better coin (Brooker 264), but there's no danger of it coming to market anytime soon - so Hobson's choice. This coin ex Whitley 180 (Glens 11/4/1956) was also in Goldberg 48 lot 2496. For the record, it used to be NGC AU55, 1907431-004 for those who try to keep track of populations in real numbers rather than theoretical ones.
    upload_2020-7-1_18-5-14.jpeg

8. robp

robp Well-Known Member

1966 pattern crown by Antony Foley struck on a thick flan, weight 37.64g. Again for the record, was formerly PCGS SP65 151623.65/13481549
    upload_2020-7-1_18-47-49.jpeg

9. talerman

Germany City of KEMPTEN Emperor Ferdinand II Reichstaler 1623

Kempten Ferd II Taler 1623 LD obv 582.jpg Kempten Ferd II Taler 1623 LD rev 589.jpg

KSorbo, longshot, Seattlite86 and 3 others like this.
  10. talerman

Nice condition for a Charles I crown

11. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Very nice crown of Charles I. It appears somewhat crudely made as is typical of his larger silver coins. Have you any ability to find/research provinances for these early English coins? I've only one English crown sized coin before Victoria but it's an Oxford silver pound of Charles I, 1642. It's pedigreed to the "Rye Collection" which was auctioned by CNG in the US but somebody in England should've owned it before then?

Also it's slabbed by PCGS as "VF details" due to an old cleaning. I'd like to remove it from the slab but it's such a nicely done huge chunk of plastic I hate to destroy it. Still it's be nice to get the coin out. I guess there's not to much need to keep these things in slabs?

Oh a link is here. I've posted it so many times on CT that I'll just post a link this time. https://coinsandhistory.com/countries/Europe_England/England.html

Seattlite86 and Chris B like this.
  12. robp

robp Well-Known Member

The only resource I have here is my library of past catalogues, but I would suggest that it is only likely to be illustrated in a catalogue from the past 30 or 40 years. Any earlier and the coin is unlikely to be imaged due to its grade because there would typically only be a handful of plates for the top pieces in the collection with maybe 1 in every 10 or 20 pictured. Really good collections had more illustrated, but even then not all.

13. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

PaulTudor likes this.
  14. PaulTudor

I think the dragon is in fact Lucifer!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  15. doppeltaler

doppeltaler Well-Known Member

May I ask where you bought it from? A lovely coin. I am interested in the fields and the wear patterns. Thank you.

PaulTudor likes this.
  16. PaulTudor

Thank you! It's from the last Sincona auction! I had to have a Passau taler, plus the city is very nice, hope i'll get to visit it in the future.

17. PaulTudor

I’ve decided to reshape my collection and started selling some of the coins that don’t really match my taste , so I’ve offloaded my 8 brothers Taler , added a bit and got my first Sede Vacante Taler , a 1715 Osnabrück one.
    F0444B21-B0A0-4DF5-8BA3-ADE2FBF275BC.jpeg CADEB0A9-F7A5-450F-9F8E-D9E9B23641DC.jpeg

KSorbo, wcg, Seattlite86 and 3 others like this.
  18. talerman

I like your Osnabrück Taler but how can the 8 brothers Taler not match your taste ? I think they are among the most charming Talers around.

PaulTudor likes this.
  19. talerman

LIECHTENSTEIN Joseph Johann Adam Taler 1728

Liechtenstein Joseph Johann Adam Taler 1728 LD obv 521.jpg Liechtenstein Joseph Johann Adam Taler 1728 LD rev 528.jpg

KSorbo, PaddyB and PaulTudor like this.
  20. PaulTudor

To be honest i don't like most of the talers of Saxony/Saxe-Weimar, i had a 4 brothers taler and i sold that piece too some time ago!What i like and want to get is an Augsburg confession one and a vicariate issue of Johann Georg II!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  21. PaulTudor

Edit. I've just bought a 1664 Brandenburg one with Christian Ernst/ Franconian Circle, a vf , but a coin that i always wanted!

Draft saved Draft deleted