World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Spanish Netherlands BRABANT Emperor Charles V Karolusgulden (or Florin) n.d. (1542-48) Antwerp mint

In April 1544 Charles V ordered the striking of a silver Karolusgulden with the same value as the gold Karolusgulden. This was the first large silver coin in the Netherlands, similar to German talers. However, although 40 mm in diameter, the weight is only 22.29 g.

Brabant Chas V Karolus Gulden Florin 1st type nd LD obv 885.jpg

Brabant Chas V Karolus Gulden Florin 1st type nd LD rev 894.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

A wonderful issue; I think this is one of the top designs of the late 17th century Papal States from the Hamerani dynasty of engravers.

Hookman and PaulTudor like this.
  4. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

It’s a nice piece indeed and it’s big too ! I also know you have it in XF/ AU if I’m not wrong!

5. talerman

2 more beautiful coins with Giovanni Hamerani's bust of Innocent XII

Italy PAPAL STATES Innocent XII Piastre Year 8 (1699)

Obverse: HAMERANVS by neck
    However, reverse of Israelites gathering manna from heaven, with city in the background, seems to have been done by Ferdinand Saint-Urbain (papal medallist 1683-1703) -S.V in exergue

Papal States Innocent XII Piastre with Israelites & manna 1699 obv 314.jpg Papal States Innocent XII Piastre with Israelites & manna 1699 rev 316.jpg

PAPAL STATES Innocent XII Piastre Year 8 (1699)

Obverse: HAMERANVS by neck
    The reverse, a view of port of Anzio, may well also have been done by someone else, although there is no indication on the coin.

Papal States Innocent XII Piastre an VIII 1699 with Anzio port obv 847.jpg Papal States Innocent XII Piastre An VIII 1699 with Anzio port rev 849.jpg

ycon, PaddyB, Gallienus and 5 others like this.
  6. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

Wow! They made it to commemorate the start of the 30 Years War (1618 -1648).

Hookman likes this.
  7. Gallienus

The Hindenburg 5 mark coins are small and fat (Diameter: 29.00mm) They're about the size of a US silver half dollar (30 mm dia) & 12.5 grams.
    Actually the 2 mark Hindenburg coins were 10g but of a lower finess of silver (.625).

Now if you came up with a Graf Zepplin 5 marks that would definitely qualify: on coolness factor alone.

Hookman likes this.
  8. jgenn

jgenn World Crown Collector

You have one of the few issues that shows Philip II of Spain with his title as King of England (jointly with Queen Mary). Mine is from Flanders. See this for more info.

1558_NL_1Ecu_v2.jpg

Hookman, Chris B, PaulTudor and 3 others like this.
  9. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I saw one of those Graf Zeppelin 5 Mark coins on eBay once. It was indeed cool.
    I bid on it, but it very quickly went way beyond my pocket. I think it sold for about $95 to 100. It's way more than that now.

Try this one :

Gallienus likes this.
  10. Gallienus

Very nice but quite expensive. I too bid on one a while ago but didn't win it. Also I'm finding that I have to limit myself to country. I like Latin America, the Republican or early Independence eras. Also Poland.

[​IMG]
    A crown: Bolivia, 8 Soles, 1827, NGC-63. This is the 1st portrait piece of Simon Bolivar. It cost about 1/2 as much as that expensive EBay coin in 2006. Incidentally NGC no longer lists an ms-63 1827. I know this coin is better than a 62, it's not the ms-65 unless they upgraded me without telling me & don't think it's PCGS but will have to check their census data.

[​IMG]
    Another crown: Ecuador, 5 Francs (not Frangos!), 1858, NGC-65. This is Ecuador's 2nd crown.

[​IMG]
    Another crown: Poland, (Stanislaus II August Poniatowski) 1766, mint state
    (H. Karolkiewicz: Triton IV auction, Dec. 6th, 2000, lot# 2450).
    I think this one was still cheaper than that EBay coin tho. In European crowns I go back to 1486.

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Hookman, Seattlite86, Chris B and 4 others like this.
  11. PaulTudor

As far as i know it's not related to the 30 years war!It was just a common HAll issue
    in the name of Archduke Maximilian, Grandmaster of the Teutonic order, similar pieces being struck in 1615,1616!He actually died in 1618 and i've previously posted a posthumous issue(1619)in his name, struck in Alsace. What i know is that in 1648, show talers/medals were issued to mark the Peace of Westphalia(Munster) , the end of the 30 years and 80 years war!

Hookman likes this.
  12. PaulTudor

My only Münster taler, the well known city view type of 1661! I think there are three varieties and a double Taler for the same date!

4306F560-8E60-44F2-AA64-289B50E10F04.jpeg
    C857AC72-08A7-4EA4-9748-0D391470929F.jpeg

13. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I have never had the Zeppelin 5 Mark, but I did pick up these two just before the shutdown:
    Germany 5Mk 1928 G 1-horz.jpg Germany 5Mk 1929 A 1-horz.jpg

14. PaulTudor

@jgenn Great write up!I noticed the King of England title 3 years ago when i bought it, but never really bothered to research it to be honest!It's an interesting piece and hopefully i'll get one in a better grade! Also a countermarked one would be a nice addition too!

Hookman likes this.
  15. PaulTudor

16. Joshua Lemons

Joshua Lemons Well-Known Member Supporter

I have a few. Here's my newest.
    Egypt KM#407
    1964 (1384) 50 Piastres
    0.7200 fine, 0.4630 ASW
    250,000 uncirculated mintage
    40mm Polish_20200417_090647310.jpg Polish_20200417_090712559.jpg

Hookman, Seattlite86 and coin_nut like this.
  17. talerman

Germany Abbey of FULDA Heinrich VIII von Bibra Taler 1765

Fulda Heinrich VIII v Bibra Taler 1765 LD obv 688.jpg Fulda Heinrich VIII v Bibra Taler 1765 LD rev 690.jpg

Seattlite86, wcg, Chris B and 3 others like this.
  18. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Picked up my 11 year "dream coin", a Leopold I Thaler.

So glad to get this off my wish list.

Also my very first Thaler.

[​IMG]
    Leopold I, "Hogmouth" (1657 - 1705 A.D.)
    AR Thaler
    O: LEOPOLDVS D G RO I S A GER HV BO REX; Laureate, draped, and cuirassed bust right.
    R: ARCHIDVX AVS DVX BVR MAR MOR CO TY; 1692 Crowned imperial double-headed eagle, holding sword and sceptre; crowned arms on breast within Order of the Golden Fleece; K-B flanking tail.
    Kremnitz (Hungary) Mint
    47mm
    28.55g
    Davenport 3262; KM 214.3

19. PaulTudor

Congratulations!It's a beautiful coin!I have this funny habit of playing with a coin that i really like , whilst checking stuff on internet and guess what that coin is when i'm writing this? My 1695 KB, Leopold taler!!!

Hookman likes this.
  20. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've actually been doing that with the coin recently. Ironic but glad I am not the only one.

Hookman and PaulTudor like this.
  21. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Talerman, I had to wipe the drool off my keyboard after seeing that Fulda piece! That is a scarce one. Following the Fulda theme is a more common 1788 Fulda taler :
    1788-fulda-ms63-both.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted