World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Heck, live and learn. I glad everyone is being polite and civil, as we are supposed to be on here. I have bought from that seller before and was always pleased. For years I have had big problems with ebay.com, so I normally use ebay.ca (Canada), and when I look for coins from UK, I use ebay.uk and from Nederlands I use ebay.nl. My same password and username work and I am able to do advanced search by seller, see seller's other items, etc. which will not work for me at ebay.com. Yes, I complained and asked for help several times and their lame personnel are not very helpful.

J.T. Parker and Hookman like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

I may as well post a coin. 2007 GB-Gibraltar 5 pound Supermarine Spitfire. 2007 GB-Gibraltar SMS 5 p obv.JPG 2007 GB-Gibraltar SMS 5 p rev.JPG

Seattlite86, Hookman and talerman like this.
  4. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Some from the Isle of Man on the subject of "Man in Flight". All Silver proofs:
    IOM Cr 1995 1-horz.jpg IOM Cr 1995 Icarus 1-horz.jpg IOM Cr 1995 Montgolfier 1-horz.jpg

Chris B, Seattlite86, Hookman and 2 others like this.
  5. J.T. Parker

J.T. Parker Well-Known Member

wag, CONGRATS what a beautiful example of the celator's art. I can see why you collect world crowns...
    & Hookman thanks for the info on the machine gun. When I was looking through
    the seller's (we shan't mention) pages that postcard stopped me cold & I don't collect postcards.
    Thanks for all the kind posts,
    J.T.

Hookman likes this.
  6. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Thanks. That seller has many photos and postcards from the war eras. I find them very interesting.

7. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Germany HESSE-CASSEL Moritz the Learned Taler 1626

This coin is apparently a silver strike of a gold 10 Ducats that was finally never struck - even @panzerman does not have it. The reverse legend includes MON:NO:_AURE:IM (new Imperial gold coin).

Hesse-Cassel Taler 1626 Dav 6724 obv 186.jpg Hesse-Cassel Taler 1626 Dav 6724 rev 187.jpg

wcg, panzerman, J.T. Parker and 6 others like this.
  8. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I've wanted a crown of Edward VII for some time, patience paid off as Civitas listed one at a very reasonable price so I jumped on it.

$70 total...I think it was a great deal.

[​IMG]

9. coin_nut

I'd say you got a really good deal on that crown! Here is mine, only slightly better condition, and I paid more than twice as much. 1902 GB 1 cr obv.JPG 1902 GB 1 cr rev.JPG

10. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Would have been so much fun, being a collector back then. All the coinage where works of art. Today these mints produce KITCH:(

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

France CHATEAU-RENAUD François de Bourbon-Conti & Louise-Marguerite de Lorraine Ecu de 30 sous 1614

Chateau-Renaud Francois & Louise Ecu 30 sous obv 031.jpg Chateau-Renaud Francois & Louise Ecu 30 sous rev 037.jpg

wcg, coin_nut, Seattlite86 and 6 others like this.
  12. panzerman

That is beautifull, talerman!

talerman and Hookman like this.
  13. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

1765 thaler, Ellwangen

IMG_0687.JPG

longshot, wcg, talerman and 2 others like this.
  14. panzerman

Gorgeous coin Paul:)

German States struck vast numbers of Gold/ Silver coinage.

Hookman and PaulTudor like this.
  15. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

Thank you @panzerman!It's my first of the year and one of the best deals ever to be honest!

Hookman, Seattlite86 and panzerman like this.
  16. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

New addition this week; I'm very excited - have been eyeing one of these for many years.
    1664 Brunswick-Lüneburg 2 taler
    Dav LS189; KM 252.5; 63 mm
    1664-brunswick-2T-obv-both.jpg

17. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Beautiful taler @wcg. Can you explain the obverse design?

Hookman likes this.
  18. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

Nonsense. K is for King Arthur, not Kitch. :yuck:

k.jpg

Hookman and Seattlite86 like this.
  19. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

Thanks @longshot! The obverse depicts two popular symbols associated with the Duchy of Brunswick: horses and mining. The symbolism of the horse dates back to the 8th century. According to heraldic tradition, a black horse was first used as the shield emblem of Widukind, the last king of the pagan Saxons. After his conversion to Christianity, the horse was painted white. The white horse, known in German as the Sachenross ("Saxon charger") became an emblem of Saxony. You will see it in many Brunswick issues.

Perhaps more fascinating to me is the mining scene. In the sixteenth century, Julius of Brunswick-Lüneburg (1568-1589) had strongly encouraged silver shaft-mining in the region as did his successors, who reaped the reward of a steady flow of silver to enrich the duchy. The auction house suggests that the 2T was probably struck from silver obtained from the Upper Harz as some 40-50% of all German silver produced between the sixteenth and the nineteenth centuries is estimated to have come from this region.

20. mrbadexample

mrbadexample Well-Known Member

It's almost a shame to move away from those lovely thalers, but this chap's handsome too eh? :)

Ecuador 5 sucres 1944 (3).JPG

21. wcg

wcg Well-Known Member

:) A face only a mother could love....

Great reverse design.

Draft saved Draft deleted