World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Germany FRIEDBERG (Burg Friedberg in der Wetterau)
    Philipp Adolph von Rau zu Holzhausen, Burgrave Reichstaler 1690

Friedberg Phil Adolph v Rau Taler 1690 obv 007.jpg Friedberg Phil Adolph v Rau Taler 1690 rev 009.jpg

Chris B, PaddyB, Hookman and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1988 Netherlands 50 gulden 1988 NL 50 g obv.JPG 1988 NL 50 g rev.JPG

4. talerman

This appears to be for 300th anniversary of William of Orange and Mary becoming King & Queen of England after forcing out James II. Does anyone have a William & Mary England Crown to compare the accolated busts ?

5. coin_nut

I bet PaddyB has that crown you mention. Here is another Netherlands 50 gulden, 1982, rather cameo prooflike. 1982 NL 50 g obv.JPG 1982 NL 50 g rev.JPG

Hookman, Seattlite86 and talerman like this.
  6. talerman

I understand this coin commemorates the United Provinces recognizing the United States in 1782, one of the first European states to do

Hookman and coin_nut like this.
  7. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Sure do! They are not easy to come by in Crown size and I only have this one - I have most of the Half Crowns in better condition, but they don't fit in this thread.
    1692 Cr 1.JPG 1692 Cr 2.JPG
    William and Mary Crown 1692 with the blundered 2 in the date - this happened quite a lot with this design. I think the die makers found the format of the date as confusing as we still do.

8. talerman

Spanish Netherlands GELDERLAND Philip II Burgundian Rijksdaalder 1568

Gelderland Philip II Burgundian Rijksdaalder 1568 obv 057.jpg Gelderland Philip II Burgundian Rijksdaalder 1568 rev 058.jpg

9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Interesting doubled die effect, especially in the first image. The green spots are there, I suppose, but what are those blue lines in the second one? Look like artifacts in the photo only ...

Christian

10. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

11. coin_nut

1952 South Africa 5 shillings. Note the small VOC on the reverse, also Table Mountain in the background. 1952 SA 5 shilling obv.JPG 1952 SA 5 shilling rev.JPG

chrisild, PaddyB, Hookman and 2 others like this.
  12. PaulTudor

1542 kaufbeuren half taler ,Charles V, MB-11,Ref. N#24.
    The coin is in a poor condition and has a plugg mark, but i bought it because it's an interesting piece and the price was good for the overall damage. One thing that bugs me is that i couldn't find a similar piece in any previous sales. I did found one with the date divided by shield but not this variety!If any of you know more i'd be very grateful!

355371B5-8A15-4743-AA49-9C64C81F7A93.jpeg 9EBDD951-67C2-4E5F-8DFA-1E1E75B7D4BB.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 24, 2019
    Chris B, PaddyB, chrisild and 3 others like this.
  13. talerman

Interesting coin. You are right, there are 2 varieties of this Half Taler, one with the arms divided by the date and yours with the date above the arms. Yours is KM.MB 11, Nau 24 and Bernhart 137. Your variety is rarer and worth significantly more.

Here is the description of the two varieties in Nau (Die Münzen und Medaillen der Oberschwäbischen Städte) :

Kaufbeuren 1542 Half Talers in Nau 136.jpg

Here is the photo of your variety in Nau (sorry, scan of not very good photo):
    Kaufbeuren 1542 Half Taler Nau 24 135.jpg

and here is the description of the two varieties in Bernhart ( Die Münzen der Reichsstadt Kaufbeuren - no pictures):

Kaufbeuren 1542 Half Taler types in Bernhart 138.jpg

PaddyB, chrisild, PaulTudor and 2 others like this.
  14. PaulTudor

@talerman Thank you very much for your research!

Hookman likes this.
  15. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Probably not "broadstruck" so much as it is merely a bit off-center. I bought this Charles II English crown because I liked the toning.

[​IMG]

16. coin_nut

I would grade that crown at about VF25-30 at least. Good looking coin.

Hookman likes this.
  17. talerman

LowCountries GRONINGEN Ommelanden (Territory) Daalder of 30 Stuiver n.d. (1584) Imitation of Aachen Reichstaler

Groninger Ommelanden Daalder of 30 st  nd (1584) obv 541.jpg Groninger Ommelanden Daalder of 30 st nd (1584) rev 544.jpg

Groningen was historically part of Friesland. and dominated a large part of Friesland from the 15th century. Under so called ‘Staple Rights.’ the ‘Ommelanden’ (territories around Groningen) had to trade their grain in the city and were allowed to brew beer for personal use only. Opposition against the Staple Rights increased and in 1575, the Ommelanden seceded from the city. In 1579, the Ommelanden signed the Union of Utrecht and joined the Calvinist rebellion against Spain. They also resisted the authorities in other parts of Friesland. After the city (Catholic and pro-Spanish) capitulated to Dutch forces in 1594, the States General decided to combine the city and the Ommelanden into a seventh voting province.

18. Derek2200

Derek2200 Well-Known Member

Yes absolutely really low pop vs US.

Hookman likes this.
  19. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

A 5 pengő fron Hungary, 1930. From back when the pengő was still worth anything...
    Hungary 5 pengő 1930.jpeg

PaddyB, PaulTudor, Hookman and 3 others like this.
  20. coin_nut

1996 Bahamas 1 dollar. Big coin, 38.61 mm, 31.1 grams, AR .999 1996 Bahamas 1 d obv.JPG 1996 Bahamas 1 d rev.JPG

21. PaulTudor

1621 Erfurt taler

1FECF018-74E6-4241-A4A4-3D8A40D5CA5B.jpeg B2A46E5B-8946-4301-86EE-C734A7EE3704.jpeg

Draft saved Draft deleted