World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I've read that there is quite a vareity of these. So long as the one I have is silver and up to weight (and it is) then I'm OK with multiple vareities. I ask questions before I buy and I check any suspect coins with an XRF gun when they arrive. I may get more of these if a good deal comes along.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

That is correct. The initials here are SF, just worn.
    These still go for a premium over melt. I was fortunate to pay melt for these two. Here's a link to some of the varieties; I have not figured out what era mine were struck in. http://www.theresia.name/en/svergleich.html

Here is another that I own. Note that the reverse on this one is full of die cracks. I can't decide which of these two I like better. I like to believe the first one actually circulated and was used, but I also enjoy die cracks and rainbow toning.
    20191105_064015.jpg 20191105_064147.jpg

coin_nut, PaulTudor, talerman and 2 others like this.
  4. Seattlite86

Mexico 1798 8 Reales, 27.07g
    20191106_072550.jpg 20191106_072630.jpg

coin_nut, talerman, Hookman and 3 others like this.
  5. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

S86, all of the coins you've just been posting, I happen to be bidding on the same types on eBay right now. Maria Theresa and 8 Reales. If I win them, I'll let you know.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  6. Seattlite86

Good luck! I love the 8 Reales coins. I still regret not buying a chop marked one years ago.

7. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1951 South Africa 5 shillings 1951 SA 5 shilling obv.JPG 1951 SA 5 shilling rev.JPG

PaulTudor, Hookman, talerman and 2 others like this.
  8. Seattlite86

Bavaria Convention Taler 1760, 27.92g
    20191109_085842.jpg 20191109_085738.jpg

9. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Thank you for the introduction to the Maria Theresia website, which I had not seen before. It is a terrific comprehensive resource.

Seattlite86 likes this.
  10. PaulTudor

PaulTudor Well-Known Member

Seattlite86 likes this.
  11. Seattlite86

I agree. This was gifted to me, so I did not really scrutinize the coin, but I thought the edge looked off when I put it in a 2x2. I'll take another look at it. Edit: thanks for pointing it out.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  12. Seattlite86

Here's one a little less questionable.
    Franch Indochina 1900 Piastre, 27g
    20191109_164106.jpg 20191109_164129.jpg

13. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1967 Canada 1 dollar 1967 CA 1 d obv.JPG 1967 CA 1 d rev.JPG

Hookman, PaulTudor, PaddyB and 2 others like this.
  14. PaulTudor

1693 KB, Hungary taler! So happy I finally got a decent one!This coin is huge, similar to the 1661 Munster Talers or the baptismal ones!

grg.jpeg rbr.jpeg

Jaelus, Chris B, longshot and 6 others like this.
  15. Seattlite86

That is a great looking Taler. I think Leopold's image is slowly growing on me.

Hookman and PaulTudor like this.
  16. Seattlite86

Can anyone give me a little insight on this one? 39mm, the date is 1615. I'm struggling a little.

20191108_205334.jpg 20191108_205353.jpg

Chris B, coin_nut and PaulTudor like this.
  17. PaulTudor

Seattlite86 likes this.
  18. Seattlite86

Thank you! I was looking for the wrong Ferdinand.

19. PaulTudor

Glad i could help!

Seattlite86 likes this.
  20. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

It is easy to get confused as the Bavarian ruling family, the Wittelsbachs, were able to get their hands on an amazing number of territories.

Ferdinand's uncle Ernst got him off to a good start. Ernst was a very successful churchman. The youngest son of Duke Albrecht V of Bavaria, he was earmarked for an ecclesiastical career from an early age. He was elected bishop of Freising in 1566 at the age of 12 and of Hildesheim in 1573 at the age of 19. In 1581 he became Prince-Bishop of Liège (with its attached territories Bouillon, the county of Looz and the marquessate of Franchimont), and Prince-Abbot of Stablo and Malmedy, a double abbey consisting of two neighbouring Benedictine monasteries. When the Archbishop of Cologne converted to Protestantism, setting off the Cologne Wars, Ernst became the successful Catholic contender for the title and was elected Archbishop in 1583 after the deposition of his predecessor. The archbishopric also brought with it the titles and lands of the Duchy of Westphalia and the city of Arnsberg. Much more important, the archbishops of Cologne were one of the seven Electors of the Holy Roman Emperor. That apparently was not enough. In 1585 he was also elected Bishop of Münster.

Ernst had his nephew Ferdinand, younger brother of Elector Maximilian I the Great, elected co-adjutor in Cologne in December 1595. When Ernst died in 1612, Ferdinand "inherited" the archbishopric and also the bishoprics of Hildesheim, Münster and Liège. He also added the Bishopric of Paderborn in 1618. Somehow Freising escaped (although it would come back into family hands in 1652). Although a fervent member of the Catholic League, Ferdinand never received ordination in his lifetime.

21. PaulTudor

1669 Saxe-Gotha taler, Ernest von Fromme on the marriage of his son Frederick and Magdalena of Weissenfels!I love this coin,i know @Zohar has it in MS but i'm happy as it is, considering its design and mintage of 747 pieces.There is a similar one minted in 1671!Bought it from a well known german auction house(won't mention its name),but the experience was simply awful!I had to send 8 emails to seal the deal, paid another half of the coin's price for buyers fee and shipping and they forgot to post it to me, so i had to email them again one week later. This kind of situation only makes me appreciate even more the professionalism shown by Kunker, on every occasion i dealt with them!

B0E42C15-CFB2-4E61-9FA6-0149C8D67EC2.jpeg 04A0AB5A-432B-41BB-91E5-C9BE47B161F7.jpeg

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019
    Jaelus, Chris B, coin_nut and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted