World silver crown-size type coin collectors?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Ag76, Feb 6, 2019.

1. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

1867 Netherlands 2 1/2 gulden 1867 NL 2 1-2 g obv.JPG 1867 NL 2 1-2 g rev.JPG

tibor, Chris B, talerman and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

1869 Netherlands 2 1/2 gulden 1869 NL 2 1-2 g obv.JPG 1869 NL 2 1-2 g rev.JPG

tibor, Hookman, Ag76 and 2 others like this.
  4. talerman

talerman Well-Known Member

Germany BRANDENBURG - KÜSTRIN Johann Taler 1545

Brandenburg-Kustrin Johann Taler 1545 obv 042.jpg Brandenburg-Kustrin Johann Taler 1545 rev 040.jpg

tibor, PaulTudor, Chris B and 4 others like this.
  5. coin_nut

1869 Peru 1 sol 1869 PE 1 s obv.JPG 1869 PE 1 s rev.JPG

NovembersDoom6, tibor, PaddyB and 3 others like this.
  6. Ag76

Ag76 Coins 'n' history

This is not crown- or even half-crown-sized, but it does (barely) meet my 10g silver criterion.

1943 Australia florin
    auflorin1943o.jpg auflorin1943r.jpg

tibor, Hookman and PaddyB like this.
  7. coin_nut

1872 Belgium 5 francs 1872 BE 5 f obv.JPG 1872 BE 5 f rev.JPG

tibor, talerman and PaddyB like this.
  8. coin_nut

1886 O US 1 dollar 1886 O US 1 d obv.JPG 1886 O US 1 d rev.JPG

NovembersDoom6, tibor, PaddyB and 2 others like this.
  9. coin_nut

1933 Netherlands 2 1/2 gulden 1933 NL 2 1-1 g obv.JPG 1933 NL 2 1-2 g rev.JPG

tibor, Chris B, Ag76 and 1 other person like this.
  10. The Eidolon

The Eidolon Well-Known Member

1818 1 Rouble, Russia (Alexander I). I like that it has the silver content taking up most of the reverse. I guess it's 4 "zolotniks" and 21 "dolyas." 1818 Rouble.jpeg

tibor, Chris B, talerman and 4 others like this.
  11. coin_nut

1886 P US 1 dollar 1886 P US 1 d obv.JPG 1886 P US 1 d rev.JPG

tibor, talerman and PaddyB like this.
  12. joecoincollect

joecoincollect Well-Known Member

is acetone similar to rubbing alcohol? If not, why?

13. joecoincollect

nice thread. I don't know anythinng about crowns prior to 1800s, but the thalers and other crowns ive been seeing are nice. I would assume those crowns would be black in tone this far in the future, so does that mean they had to be abrasivley cleaned? Do any collectors do that here? Just curious, becuase i have some darker crowns and would like them to br lighter but acetone doesnt do anything.

14. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Acetone is different from Rubbing Alcohol. The latter is Ethanol - the same stuff people drink - but mixed with other chemicals to make it unpalatable. Acetone is a different chemical - definitely not drinkable at all - with a familiar "pear-drops" smell. It is used most often a nail-varnish remover and in the manufacture of plastics and, I learnt recently, cordite.

Do NOT use anything abrasive to clean coins! You may not be able to see it but under a glass you create millions of tiny scratches, which completely wreck the coin. Buffing wheels do exactly the same, despite some metal workers maintaining they don't.
    If you really can't cope with the dark tarnish a cautious dip in "Silver Dip" will remove most of it. Use this carefully - a short dip followed by a quick wash in clean water will take away the darkness, but too long and the coin will appear flat and lifeless as all the patina is removed. I find after washing a little light mineral oil protects the raw surface and restores some of the sheen.
    But avoid any cleaning if at all possible.

15. coin_nut

1934 Peru 1 sol 1934 PE 1 s obv.JPG 1934 PE 1 s rev.JPG

Hookman, talerman and PaddyB like this.
  16. talerman

I have always been scared of cleaning any good coin. If it's a dirt-encrusted low grade ancient, perhaps you have nothing to lose, but if it is in decent grade, everyone tells me you can easily do more harm than good.
    In my experience pre-1800 silver coins are rarely black in tone and not necessarily even dark. It all depends on how much they circulated (some high value coins were presentation pieces or kept in secure places for occasional very large transactions when they would be transported across the country in large bags) and the conditions in which they were kept. Also, some have been cleaned a long time ago and have now acquired a new patina.

joecoincollect, Hookman and PaddyB like this.
  17. talerman

Germany BRUNSWICK-LUNEBURG-CALENBERG Georg Reichstaler 1638

Br-Lun-Cal Georg Wildman Taler 1638  obv 572.jpg Br-Lun-Cal Georg Wildman Taler 1638  rev 573.jpg

Germany BRUNSWICK-LUNEBURG-CALENBERG Georg Wilhelm Reichstaler 1662

Br-Lun-Cal Georg Wilhelm Taler 1662 obv 739.jpg Br-Lun-Cal Georg Wilhelm Taler 1662 rev 740.jpg

18. joecoincollect

thanks for the tips, especially the mineral oil which i never heard before. However, regarding the acetone and rubbing alcohol, i know they're different but what i meant to ask is what do they do differently when using on coins? I ask because ive always used acetone, to roll a q-tip on coins. It's really useful for getting off pvc and turns the q-tip blue. Is rubbing alcohol just the same, or is it more/less abrasive, etc? thanks again

19. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

No problem. As far as I am aware they both aim really at dissolving the organic material on the coins - grease, wax, fats etc, which have accumulated over the years. These organics also contain colours - usually black or brown, and so removing them can improve the appearance of the coin.
    I think Acetone is more powerful than rubbing alcohol, and maybe they work differently on different organics, but you need a chemist for that!
    The Q tip approach is fine for obvious deposits, but many people recommend long soaks in your chosen solvent. Some say that Acetone can reduce verdigris and other non-organic deposits, though I am not sure how.
    I have noticed that rubbing alcohol has a bleaching effect on copper and bronze coins after a day or two, so don't leave them soaking too long without checking. All these things are best tried out on scrap coins first so that you get familiar with the reactions.
    By the way - some cheap nail varnish remover only has a small proportion of Acetone and is pretty much ineffective in the cleaning department!

joecoincollect and Hookman like this.
  20. coin_nut

1888 O US 1 dollar 1888 O US 1 d obv.JPG 1888 O US 1 d rev.JPG

21. 7Jags

7Jags Well-Known Member

Rubbing alcohol is usually isopropyl (vs. ethanol) in the USA, not sure about UK.
    It is a quite different solvent than acetone. The former has much more solvent capacity with polar substances - water based basically. The latter has more capacity as a solvent with non-polar substances - such as oils, plastics, etc.
    So although distantly related, have quite different properties.

Draft saved Draft deleted