WTB: World or US coin lots for my kid to comb through

Discussion in 'Want Lists' started by Mark Metzger, Mar 7, 2018.

1. Mark Metzger

Mark Metzger Well-Known Member

Hey there Coin Talkers. I’ve been pretty active on this site for about the last year and have had a great time learning and making friends. I thought I’d post up in the “wanted” section to see if anyone has coins which could fit my needs.

Here’s my situation. About a year ago, my son, then 6, was given a couple old coins by his grandpa. These old pieces lit a fire in him that has continued to burn for the past year. We have had a marvelous time working together to build his collection which is coming along quite nicely. Our strategy up to this point is to purchase mid-sized lots of coins ($50-$150), sort through them together, determine which ones are my son’s favorites, and then sell what he doesn’t want to keep to help subsidize the whole operation.

We’ve had great success so far from some folks here on CT, so I thought I’d cast the net a bit wider.

Here’s what we like:
    Older carded world coins (19th century or older)
    Mixed loose lots of older world coins (preferably unsearched...or at least not totally picked over)
    My son is working on a 7070 US type set and doesn’t care about grade. He has some of the tougher pieces but has a long way to go.
    Older US coins (he loves to hunt through wheat rolls)
    Ancients...these really get him going...though they are a bear for me to identify
    Just about anything else neat and old

So, if anyone has an old drawer full of such stuff they’d like to re-home, we might be your guys.
    I might also be interested if you have a larger collection for sale as a recent lot we purchased provided a bit of a windfall, cash wise.

Thanks in advance!
    Mark and Henry