World Money Fair (Berlin) 2019

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by chrisild, Nov 13, 2018.

1. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Two more cool pieces - these are medals that can be opened:
    23 BodeMedals.jpg

Here they show a really big and a really small coin. (Darn light reflection ...)
    24 BodeBigSmall.jpg
    This is a Swedish 8 dalers copper bar from 1661. See that white rectangle on the top?

25 BodeReallySmall.jpg
    That is not quite as big as the copper giant. ;) 1/48 stater from Asia Minor (6c BCE).

Since it was so darn frigging cold in Berlin (not Chicago-esque but still ...), I decided to add another inside activity :) and went to the well-heated Neues Museum nearby. Among the famous exhibits they have is the Nofretete (Nefertiti) bust, and coin wise they show a rare Charlemagne silver denier for example. Had been to other places on the Museum Island but not that one so far ...

26 NeuesDenier1.jpg
    The Charlemagne denier ...

27 NeuesDenier2.jpg
    Took a photo of the obverse through the magnifying glass. Hey, that worked!

Seattlite86, moneditis, Ag76 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

The reverse of said denier:
    28 NeuesDenier3.jpg

This time my magnifying glass trick did not work that well ...
    29 NeuesDenier4.jpg

Have I mentioned Nefertiti? Ah yes. Taking photos inside that room was not allowed, but I took a fully legal one from the neighboring hall, hehe.
    30 Nefertiti1.jpg

And finally, I bought a souvenir. Went to Berlin by myself, so I wanted to bring something - and from the many museum trinkets I picked this mirror ...
    31 Nefertiti2.jpg

... that on the outside shows part of the bust:
    32 Nefertiti3.jpg

Christian

4. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

5. stoster38

stoster38 Member

Definitely want to go there soon!! Hopefully within the next 5 years. What’s the weather like during that time?

ma-shops likes this.
  6. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

Cold (below cero), can be somedays sunny, somedays rainny, snow, ice...but dry enough. Standard Central Europe weather. The best in Berlin are Berliners

ma-shops likes this.
  7. Seattlite86

Seattlite86 Outspoken Member

You’re living in Germany?

ma-shops likes this.
  8. Seattlite86

Will anyone here be going to the Munich/München show in March? I will be there Sunday.

ma-shops likes this.
  9. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Before she gets a chance to reply: Even better yet :D in North Rhine Westphalia.

Christian (also NW)

ma-shops and Seattlite86 like this.
  10. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Weeeell, I live near the Rhine river, and at this time of the year it is somewhat warmer (roughly 10°C today) here than in Berlin. On Saturday they even had "remnants" of snow in the streets there, and Sunday was nothing to write home about either.

But it sure makes sense to have the World Money Fair at that time of the year. After all, the mint presentations are a major part of the show, and you want to do that when the year is still "new". So the WMF is always in late January/early February - next year it will be from 31 Jan until 2 Feb, with Japan as the guest of honor.

As for the people in Berlin, they sometimes are a little pompous (as in, we in the federal capital ...) but tend to be friendly and easy. As long as you don't have to deal with bus drivers, hehe.

Christian

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  11. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

I'm afraid not. That will be right after I get back from SoCal, and I might get roasted if I even made the suggestion to go to the Numismata. ;) Similarly, I had vague plans to go to a coin show this coming Sunday (in Dortmund, fairly big and fairly close), but a very stern look convinced me to not even think of that any more. Hope you will have a good time in Munich!

Christian

mlov43 and Seattlite86 like this.
  12. Seattlite86

My wife told me absolutely not for the WMF in Berlin. I was able to get her to budge on Munich though. Sorry I will miss you!

chrisild likes this.
  13. ma-shops

ma-shops Well-Known Member

smart... taking the Picture from the other hall ;)

chrisild likes this.
  14. ma-shops

It is definetly worth a visit!, as @moneditis said before - it is quite cold, so pack some winter cloth :coldfeet::cold:

15. ma-shops

Yes, I live in Germany. And Maybe we will meet in march on the Numismata 2019 in Munich?
    @chrisild aaawww… no visit in munich? :( Should I bring some brezel? ;)

chrisild and Seattlite86 like this.
  16. Seattlite86

Das wäre nett. Ich wäre Sonntag dabei. :)

ma-shops likes this.
  17. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Dang, they won't let me click the "Like" link several times. ;) Would love to go, but alas ...

Christian

18. kaparthy

kaparthy Well-Known Member

That little coin was interesting. Thanks!

ma-shops likes this.
  19. moneditis

moneditis Reales de a 8

Probably I will be in Munich Numismata this March...but depends on couple of variables

I live in St. Petersburg (Russia) so no problem till -30ºC...

ma-shops, Seattlite86 and chrisild like this.
  20. Seattlite86

Great. I’ll make a thread soon about Munich.

ma-shops likes this.
  21. ma-shops

freezin' -30 Degrees? I like the winter Season in Germany, but that is too much for me! In that case, you will love the temperatures around zero and you can pack your Hawaii Shirts :joyful:

Munich in march will be nice, almost summer for you :p

Draft saved Draft deleted