[World] Help identify; anyone speak Chinese?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by wcoins, Jul 12, 2013.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Picked this up for cheap, have no idea what it is. I can only read the year, can't understand the writing on it. I don't know what language it is, Chinese or Japanese? Could you please translate what it says, maybe identify this thing (coin, medal, token, or whatever) if seen it before? uc.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

It is a souvenir from the Shanghai Municipal Branch of the Agricultural Bank of China.

In the middle is the logo of the Agricultural Bank of China surrounded by five bats representing the "Five Blessings".

Gary

medoraman, harleytater and wcoins like this.
  4. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Thanks a lot, would have never identfied this by myself. Usually I look up stuff on the web but this I couldn't find. Hoped this was a coin, medal or token, I was intrigued by the date on it, usually souvenirs don't have dates.
    I don't collect souvenirs, maybe I'll sell it or keep it for good luck :)

5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Forgot to ask, was this sold by the bank to the public? Or given out for some special ocasion?

6. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

I'm afraid I do not know.

The information I provided came directly from your image. I read Chinese and have a basic understanding of traditional Chinese culture and symbols.

Since the piece is dated, it may have been given out to commemorate a meeting, exhibition, anniversary, opening of a new branch, Chinese New Year, etc.

I seriously doubt that you will ever be able to discover anything more from the web or books.

Since you provided only one image, I assume the reverse side is the same. If not, please provide an image and we may be able to glean more information.

Gary

7. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

uc2.jpg Thank you for the reply.
    This is the other side of the thing.

8. manymore

manymore Chinese Charms

Seeing the reverse side makes all the difference.
    The year 1995 was the "Year of the Pig" according to the Chinese calendar.

This piece was given out by the Shanghai Branch of the Agricultural Bank of China to celebrate the "Year of the Pig".

I was able to find another specimen at this Chinese website.

Gary

wcoins likes this.
  9. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Amazing, thanks a lot, I appreciate it. Never would have identified it and found out the info plus that auction without your help.

Draft saved Draft deleted