World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Those are always cool pickups!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wacky1980

wacky1980 Active Member

i came into a mish-mosh of 17 foreign coins as an exchange for some computer work i did for a co-worker. i still haven't actually bought a coin to add to my collections, but i'll definitely barter for them!

1892 german 1 pfennig
    1941-a german 10 pfennig
    1942-d german 10 pfennig
    3 x british 1 penny (1909, 1921, 1928)
    1915 cuba silver 10 centavos
    1965 churchill 1 crown
    4 x canada silver quarter (2 x 1949, 1952, 1960)
    1941 british silver half crown
    1951 british two shillings
    1943 canada silver half dollar
    1966 bahama silver dollar
    and a chinese coin that i believe is the y-190 boo-kuang, minted sometime from 1890-1908.

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:
    I will try that thanks DT!!!

5. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

my latest coin is this 3 kopek from the soviet republic of tannu tuva

tannu tuva.jpg (2.7 KB)

Attached Files:

6. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

1918-C Newfoundland 50 cents

Attached Files:

7. coppermania

coppermania Numistatist

chile gold obv.jpg chile gold rev.jpg

This is a tiny coin, just under a 10th oz but a really cool design. I like the way the portrait came out and the animals on the reverse are interesting. A little doubling on the date if it matters. Thanks...

8. Andy

Andy Coin Collector

Like the coin. Coppermania. But this appears to be gold to me. Is it?

9. princeofwaldo

princeofwaldo Grateful To Be eX-I/T!

2011 Noble First Strke. Scored this one at a show in Florida while on vacation a few weeks ago. For less than $50 figured I couldn't go wrong. Terrific design too. IMG_2215+.jpg IMG_2214+.jpg

10. Collector1966

1861 Spain platinum 100 reales. There seems to be some sort of die clash, with an upside-down 100 above the queen's head.

Attached Files:

11. princeofwaldo

Are you sure this coin is authentic? Appears to be harshly cleaned, and then there is a patch of pitted field behind the hair. The lettering all looks mushy with denticles that blur together. Also the rim bump at 6:00 on the reverse; -platinum is a fairly hard metal, unless it was dropped a couple hundred feet I can't imagine how it would get a rim a bash. All in all, a whole bunch of indications that the coin is probably bogus.

12. Collector1966

It could well be a fake. I had attributed the mushiness of the lettering to the hardness of the platinum and the 1861 coining technology. Unfortunately, I cannot find a picture of a genuine 1861 platinum issue for comparison.

At any rate, if it's a contemporary counterfeit, it may well have been made with real platinum, which at the time was cheaper than the same amount of gold.

http://legacy.stacks.com/Lot/ItemDetail/190572

I'll weigh it when I have access to my scale. If it's fake and has no value as a contemporary counterfeit, I guess I can always take it back to the dealer.

13. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

This came in to as 925 silver to melt. But I could not let it get melted

1894 Aust obv.jpg 1894 Aust rev.jpg
    :kewl:

14. moneyer12

according to krause, this coins was only ever issued in gold. looks like you have bought a turkey.

15. moneyer12

16. princeofwaldo

I looked at the Stacks photo, you're right, it looks so similar it probably is a contemporary fake that you have. I thought most of those fakes were then gilted in order to be passed off as gold?

17. Collector1966

It looks like it may a contemporary counterfeit. Apparently there were some counterfeiting operations in Russia at the time that were using platinum to make fake Spanish gold coins. I have found a couple of auction sites where contemporary counterfeits of this type have fetched nearly $500, which is more than what I paid for the coin. So it might not be such a turkey after all.

18. Collector1966

19. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

New World Coins

I just picked several interesting World coins out of the '5 for a dollar' bin at my local coin shop. I will take some pics soon. Here is what I found:
    A Belgium 1944 2 Francs, I read up on this one and found it is an Allied occupation issue, and these were struck on the blanks for the 1943 U.S. Steel Cent. How cool is that?

I also found a nice VF+ 1936 1/12th of an Anna from British India, as well as an AU 1945 S Five Centavos from the U.S. Philippines.

But the best find of the day is this one, another very cool coin to find in the '5 for a dollar' bin, an 1890 Kingdom of the Netherlands 2 and 1/2 Cent bronze coin.... and amazingly the details are at least VF IMO, however it has a few rim dings, but every legend and detail is intact and readable and the detail of the crowned lion clutching the bundle of arrows and sword is wonderful! As is the detail of the Caduceus on the right side of the date. It would be quite a nice piece if not for the series of small rim dings. Does anyone know the mintage of this coin.... the mintage of the Netherlands 1890 2 1/2 cent coin?
    ... also when I went to pay, the guys at the coin shop gave me the lot for free. I know it is just a dollar... less even, but it sure is nice to have a local coin shop with nice people where you are known and liked.

I still think the 1944 Belgian Allied Occupation 2 Francs struck on the US 1943 Steel Cent blank is my favorite of the entire lot, and it is close to Unc. too. I know it is not rare or valuable, but I think it is quite interesting.
    -------------------------------------

~ Pictures coming soon. ~

20. ahearn

ahearn Member

My newest:

2011 1kg Mexican Aztec Calendar, 99.9% pure, 110 mm diameter, 326 of 1500 minted. Big, beautiful, and expensive. Good investment? Maybe (2008 version is priced $1000-$1500 higher).

AztecCalendarCoin.jpg

21. princeofwaldo

Nice looking coin. I have always wished the gold 20 Peso with a similar Aztec calendar were a rare coin instead of a bullion coin. I suspect it would be extremely sought after if it had even a modest mintage. Instead, it is so common that aside from a play on gold prices there isn't much to keep a true collector interested.

Draft saved Draft deleted