World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. Kashmir Pulaski

Kashmir Pulaski Well-Known Member

This month’s “Club” coin ... Uzbekistan 20 Tiyin.

Tiyin (Cyrillic "тийин") is a unit of currency of Uzbekistan, equal to 1⁄100 of a som. The tiyin was also the name of a subunit of the Kazakhstani tenge until 1995. It is also said to be worth about 2,000 to 1 Penny.

The Uzbeki Tiyin is the world's lowest value coin that was still legal tender until March 1st 2020, although in practice it was rarely found in circulation.

A friend of mine looked this up and claims that in UNC condition, as mine seems to be, could be worth $6-$7 usd. on the market. That could of course ... be wrong.

Crack me up.

Usbekistan heads.jpeg Uzbekistan tails.jpeg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Noah Worke

Noah Worke Well-Known Member

I got a couple Mexican coins that I didn't even photograph yet, nothing special, though. These are a couple British pennies, I like the large, old, copper so these and Canadian large cents I really like, along with others of course (like the Mexican 50 centavos I bought). None of them are very rare or anything fancy, but I like them and in the sense of world coins, thats all I really care about. I hope my pictures are good enough, I took the advice to remove the 2x2s they come in, and I think they turned out nicely. 1899VicPennyOBV.jpg 1899VicPennyREV.jpg 1900VicPennyOBV.jpg 1900VicPennyREV.jpg 1938GeorgeVIPennyOBV.jpg 1938GeorgeVIPennyREV.jpg

4. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

They are good, clear photos. May I suggest that you invest in some really good photo editing software called PhotoScape. It really works great and the price is right - free. Easy to google and find where to download it online. I am very active on the site zeno.ru and they insist that coin photos must be a certain way:
    1. The coin must be taken out of the plastic holder (that’s obligatory!)
    2. Both sides of the coin are to be scanned (obligatory!)
    3. White background is preferable.
    4. White background is preferable.
    5. Desired resolution is 600dpi (for smaller coins 1200dpi would be better)
    6. Desired compression quality for JPG images – no less than 70%.
    7. Short but clear guide How to Scan or Photograph Coins at eBay.com.
    So, I had to re do most of my 10,000 plus coin photos to meet this format. Yes, I am still working on it. Below is an example of one of my photos. 527-565 Justinian AE follis. A perfectly round coin image can be cropped in the round, which will give you a perfectly white (or other color) background.

527-565 Justinian AE Follis.jpg

Eric the Red and Noah Worke like this.
  5. Kashmir Pulaski

I just got this today. ... $6 otd. It flips horizontally (I don’t remember the proper word). It looks SO much better than the aluminum - Edited - I got a coupla years ago.

new SF 1.jpeg new SF 2.jpeg
    Older aluminum - Edited - ...

old SF 1.jpeg old SF 2.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2022
    Eric the Red and ZoidMeister like this.
  6. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

More bucket list Dutch gold! It's also my new most expensive coin, beating the previous record holder by a factor of two :s.

njbhygtvrfc_1.jpg ybhtgvfrde_1.jpg

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Willem I, 10 gulden 1840. Diameter 22.5 mm, weight 6.729 grams, .900 gold. KM# 56

7. Anthony H

Anthony H Visit my "Coin-stagram:" @anthonythecoinman

Hi everyone! Done with finals for my second year in college! Today, I want to share a really cool acquisition I had, during the midst of finals week. Now, check out the shape---a rectangular, silver bar!

Today’s coin is a pretty scarce and beautiful coin from Vietnam and was minted during the Nguyen Dynasty; specifically, it was minted during the rule of Emperor Tu Duc (1848-1883). To be honest, the silver and gold issues of Vietnam, whether they were cast or milled (to imitate the Spanish 8 reales and the Piastres) are rare, though maybe, they are underrated in the East Asian market. For instance, check out the 7 Tien from Emperor Minh Mang, which were large, crown-sized, dragon coins from the 1840s that predated the Chinese and Korean dragons.

Now, my type of coin is considered by the Standard Catalog of World Coins as “bullion silver bars,” where the authors note that “all of the bars are here are inscribed with their weight, except the 10 lang banana bars, and many contain a date or name of the province in which they were made” (1272). Also, the SCWC notes their weights hover around 5.00-5.20 grams. The denomination is 1½ or 1.5 Tien, so it is quite a small bar in the lower end of the denomination series.

The obverse of this coin has the emperor’s name in Chinese characters (Chữ Hán). Specifically, the characters are “嗣德年造” which means “Made in the Reigning Year of Tu Duc (the emperor).” The reverse has the currency denomination or “weight;” which is “價錢壹貫” or “Gia Tien Nhat Quan” which can be roughly translated as “value in (cash?) coins, 1 ligature (or one, stringed roll).

This piece is a beautiful, toned, and strongly struck silver bar. It is graded PCGS AU 58, which is nearly mint state, in a slightly older holder. There is only a PCGS population of 4, with 2 higher in MS 62. The toning is so original, perhaps a cabinet tone, with purples and maroons. Also, check the edge design, which has some patterning. Sharply struck piece with well centering; no damage or gouges. Clear Chữ Hán.

References: Krause KM 481, Schroeder 340. PCGS#989431

Attached Files:

• 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      595.2 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      280.4 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      249.9 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      277.5 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      686.5 KB
      Views:
    • 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      744.3 KB
      Views:
  8. chlorinated

chlorinated Well-Known Member

Cool piece!

9. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

10. MIGuy

MIGuy Supporter! Supporter

I finally found a decent Indo China Piastre I could afford. What's with her face? Why the devil tail? I love these things! Plus the seller had it certified by PCGS, so I've got a good picture for a change.
    piastre1.jpg

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Look closer, it's an anchor!

MIGuy likes this.
  12. MIGuy

Uh oh, why is she sitting on the other pointy end?!?! ;) I fear this only raises further questions!

Kentucky likes this.
  13. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

:inpain:

MIGuy likes this.
  14. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I couldn't pass on this even thought I have another this date. s-l1600-9_resize_57.jpg s-l1600-10_resize_89.jpg

15. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

Sellers picture's $25&$26. Screenshot_20220519-105036_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220519-105040_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220519-104755_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220519-104802_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220519-104808_eBay.jpg Screenshot_20220519-104812_eBay.jpg

Eric the Red, MIGuy, Razz and 3 others like this.
  16. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

I recently picked up the 1967 set. 20220311_172613~3.jpg 20220311_172528~3.jpg
    Like the different animals on reverse of each.

17. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

Seemed like a good price but honestly I bought this because I liked the toad.

upload_2022-5-21_18-37-33.jpeg

upload_2022-5-21_18-38-1.jpeg

upload_2022-5-21_18-37-18.jpeg

18. Kashmir Pulaski

This month’s “Club” coin ... 20 Honduran centavos.
    (1 lempira = 100 centavos).

Portrait of Chief Lempira
    Honduran coin Heads.jpeg

Honduran coat of arms: the triangle Coat of Arms of the Central American federation with a volcano between two towers in an oval. Behind it are a sun and a rainbow. On the oval are two cornucopias and a quiver of arrows. Under the oval is a landscape with oak and pine trees, and mining equipment.
    Honduran coin tails.jpeg

Eric the Red and Chris B like this.
  19. Gallienus

Gallienus coinsandhistory.com

My 2nd coin purchase in all of 2022 and my 1st World Coin of 2022. Don't buy many pieces these days due to the very high market prices but I just got a notification that I got the following out of Heritage.

Republic_5M_1930_both_0800px.jpg
    This is of course the German 5 Marks, 1930, featuring the Graf Zepplin. LZ 127 Graf Zeppelin (Deutsches Luftschiff Zeppelin 127) was a German passenger-carrying, hydrogen-filled rigid airship that flew from 1928 to 1937. It offered the first commercial transatlantic passenger flight service. This airship made 590 successful flights including one around the globe. It has been called "the world's most successful airship" & has about 2 years of flight time! It was retired following the Hindenberg disaster.

The Captain (Eckener) went to the US in 1938 trying to purchase helium for use instead of hydrogen but was unsuccessful. Eckener was outspoken about his dislike of the Nazi Party, and was warned about it by Rudolf Diels, the head of the Gestapo. FDR approved of selling the helium for the zepplins but by then, war with Germany was looming so the plan was shelved.
    Much of this is from Wiki.

On a coin note, I've been looking for this type for years but wanted a specimen in which the details of the zepplin were fully struck up. I found them in this NGC MS-64+ specimen. Pieces in lower grades are slightly more affordable but lacking these details. In a late nite moment, I decided to increase my bid to $30 or so more than the historical PR for these and it paid off.

I hope to arrange for a Goodyear zeppelin ride as the one operational one is in my state and I'll definitely show them this coin.

Last edited: May 30, 2022
  20. MIGuy

Here's my latest budget acquisition - a 1908 silver Florin for $20.49 I like the Britannia with trident and shield design and good old King Edward VII graces the other side.
    florin1.jpg Florin2.jpg

21. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Picked this piece up last week. Actually kind of lucked into it (another buyer had first shot but passed due to PVC issues that have since been conserved.)

It was clear that the underlying coin was in excellent condition and had plenty of original luster. There is what looks like an old scratch on the center of the reverse, so I'm not confident it would escape a Details grade if sent in for encapsulation - which is a shame, because the values of these seem to skyrocket in UNC grades - but it's still a great example for the price I paid.

Weighs correctly (exactly 2.7g) and is non-magnetic, so those are encouraging signs.

Will include a couple different photos, since I took a couple different photos.

China (Hu-Peh Province) 10 Fen (1895-1907)

China (Hu-Peh Province) - 10 Fen.jpg

China (Hu-Peh Province) - 10 Fen 2.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted