World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. H8_modern

H8_modern Attracted to small round-ish art

upload_2022-4-20_21-19-6.jpeg

Thought this was interesting, anybody see anything unusual?

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

I assume that is 8 reales, either Mexico, Bolivia, Guatemala or Chile. I see some chop marks, which indicates it probably circulated around Asia. I give up, what is unusual about it?

4. coin_nut

I had 5 nice old hammer struck silver rupees show up yesterday. Here is one: Mughal Empire, Aurangzeb Alamgir 1658-1707 AD, AH1106/Ry.38, Itawa mint.

1658-1707 Mughal 1 r (83).jpg

5. H8_modern

Here’s the reverse

upload_2022-4-21_10-51-49.jpeg

upload_2022-4-21_10-52-11.jpeg

A friend asked the question - why couldn’t official mints do this to save a lot of silver?

6. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

This is such an iconic merchant counterstamp, I had to add one to my collection.

Z

IMG_3760.JPG

Eric the Red and H8_modern like this.
  7. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

8. coin_nut

So, on the 1807 8 reales, is that a de lamination which has peeled off and thereby lightened the coin a bit?

9. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Is it a hollow coin to smuggle drugs?

10. coin_nut

Bundi State, AR rupee INO Queen Victoria, VS1922/AD1865

1865 Bundi 1 r.jpg

11. H8_modern

I’m
    not sure. It looks like silver over a copper core counterfeit but the details of the coin look official.

MIGuy, Paddy54 and ZoidMeister like this.
  12. H8_modern

Here’s some counterstamps and a few bullion pieces

upload_2022-4-25_20-23-16.jpeg

upload_2022-4-25_20-23-31.jpeg

upload_2022-4-25_20-23-54.jpeg

upload_2022-4-25_20-24-11.jpeg

upload_2022-4-25_20-24-30.jpeg

upload_2022-4-25_20-24-48.jpeg

13. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

obv_20220425_0001.png rev_20220425_0001.png

Unusual pickup for me. I've always liked these 'circulation' sets Niue had made for a couple years. Wish they would've actually been made for circulation.

14. coin_nut

Bhutan 1 ngultrum 1979, non magnetic

1979 BT 1 n.jpg

15. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

German States - Wurttemberg 1775 20 Kreuzer

GerWur177505.jpg

16. Anthony H

Anthony H Visit my "Coin-stagram:" @anthonythecoinman

Here is one of my favorite coins in my personal collection. This coin is from my area of specialty, which are Sinkiang (Xinjiang) coins. This coin is a silver 5 miscal or 5 mace coin struck in AH1317 (1899).

This coin is meaningful for me because I got it raw and submitted it, for my first time, to PCGS. Subtlety toned on the periphery with some golden color. Sharp characters with some crudeness to the rim.

This is a more rare year and was struck at the Kashgar mint. Eight character obverse with the 喀什 Kashi denotation, rather than 喀造 Ka Zao.

Here, we will introduce the LATER issue of the Sinkiang Kashgar silver 5 miscals that have the Chinese obverse and the Arabic reverse (known as the “mid period” issues). Briefly, the EARLY types with 6 characters and NO regional designation were struck between AH 1310 to AH 1313, in addition to an undated issue, while the LATER issues WITH the regional designations were struck from AH 1313 to AH 1322.

This coin was minted in AH 1317/1899---this is evidently the scarcer year according to Krause and Lin and Ma. We can see the date, once again, on the reverse side’s upper left side. Here, the numbers are “1” + “3” top and bottom, and then “7+1” together when read left to right. When we rearrange it, it becomes “1317” on the Hejira calendar. Focusing on the obverse, we see the characters for the region: 喀什 or Ka Shi. This is different from 喀造 or Ka Zao, which is found in other LATER ISSUE miscal coins. Thus, whenever we collect these coins, we have to consider these differences in naming regional designation as they are considered as two types!

The obverse has the legend of 光绪银圓 in the center and right is 喀什 and left is 伍钱 (with the official, not standard, five). This again, is standard in format and legend for nearly all “mid period” silver miscals. The reverse is the standard arabesque pattern of wreath (of 12 leaves per side) and flower. Arabic script denoting mint, denomination, composition, and most importantly year.

This piece is PCGS graded AU 53, which is VERY HARD for a "mid period" issue to have! In fact, this coin has a population of 2 in AU 53 and 2 higher in AU 55. No MS! It is important to contextualize, as these dies were often not polished (anc constantly reused) and the machinery were water powered and often used a rudimentary and indigenous screw press. In other words, there were no steam powered milling machines in 1899. Nevertheless, this BEAUTIFUL coin has some remaining luster on both sides. Crisp characters and denticles, though interestingly, the leaves are not fully struck with its deep veins. Lower 6 o'clock position on reverse, error in striking (breakage or crack).

References: Lin and Ma 710; Krause Y-19a

Attached Files:

• AU53.jpg
      AU53.jpg
      File size:
      518.5 KB
      Views:
  17. coin_nut

This showed up today. I had one with the H mint mark and can not find it, so I bought another one.

1888 H GB-Mombasa 1 p (4).jpg

18. H8_modern

This just arrived from Ukraine which is amazing all by itself. Low mintage silver,

Commemorative issue
    30 Years of Independence of Ukraine

Series: Rebirth of Ukrainian Statehood

Obverse
    The legend УКРАЇНА (Ukraine), to the left is the coin’s issue year 2021 and Ukraine's small coat of arms; a composition that plays the role of an information medium joining the past and the present: above is a QR-code that symbolizes the digital transformation of the society and economy, below is a stylized image of embroidery elements that are a treasure chest of symbols embodying the customs, rituals, and believes of our people; face value 10 and the graphic symbol of hryvnia (to the right from the legend УКРАЇНА (Ukraine)).

Lettering:
    УКРАЇНА
    10 ₴

Engraver: Volodymyr Demianenko

Designers: Volodymyr Taran, Oleksandr Kharuk, Serhii Kharuk

Reverse
    The logo of the Independence Day of Ukraine – digit 3 and stylized digit-like 0 in the shape of a color flower (pad printing) with the legends reading: ТИ У МЕНЕ ЄДИНА (my one and only) (the semicircular legend), РОКІВ/НЕЗАЛЕЖНОСТІ/УКРАЇНИ (years/of independence/of Ukraine) (below).

Lettering:
    ТИ У МЕНЕ ЄДИНА
    30 РОКІВ НЕЗАЛЕЖНОСТІ УКРАЇНИ

Engraver: Volodymyr Demianenko

Designers: Volodymyr Taran, Oleksandr Kharuk, Serhii Kharuk

Edge
    Smooth with in-depth legends

Mint
    National Bank of Ukraine Banknote Printing and Minting Works, Kiev, Ukraine (1998-date)
    [​IMG]

upload_2022-4-28_19-33-17.jpeg

upload_2022-4-28_19-33-46.jpeg

upload_2022-4-28_19-34-10.jpeg

MIGuy, Paddy54, Chris B and 4 others like this.
  19. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

20. coin_nut

A pair from Ukraine, 10 hryvnia, made of a zinc alloy which looks and feels good.

2019 UA-MMP 10 h.jpg 2019 UA-S 10 h.jpg

21. Guilder Pincher

Guilder Pincher Well-Known Member

I decided to indulge my desire for Dutch gold again, now that I can still (just) afford them. Two more off the bucket list!

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Willem III, 10 Gulden 1875. .900 gold, 6.729 grams. KM #105. The portrait of the elderly king is unique to the 10 gulden coins and shows why Willem III was known by then as "King Gorilla" by his many, many, MANY detractors.
    DSC_7149_00001_01_1_1_copy_1906x1906.jpg DSC_7157_00002_1_1_copy_1906x1906.jpg

Kingdom of the Netherlands, Wilhelmina, 5 Gulden 1912, .900 gold, 3.364 grams. KM #151. This coin remained a one-year type as their predicted popularity failed to materialize. This is one of the few Dutch coins struck without mint and privy marks. It was felt at the time that these were no longer necessary, since there'd been only one mint for the last century anyway, and the master of the mint was by then a government employee without much personal responsibility, making the marks unnecessary. Thankfully, tradition ultimately prevailed!
    5GLD1912vz_copy_1655x1655.jpg 5GLD1912kz_copy_1655x1655.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted