World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

:thumb:Nice!!!
    I only have one other 1926 10c VF.
    here it is.

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Nice one Jello ! I am impressed!

I have one 1926 10c, but in low grade. I also have an even lower grade 1910 10 cents of Edward VII. Here are a couple more of mine, including a 1921 Half dollar and a 1941 10 cents from Malaya. I really want an early Straits Settlements Edward VII Dollar, I always liked the reverses on those.

.First pic - Straits Settlements, 1921 Half Dollar
    .Second Pic - Straits Settlements, 1926 10 cents - Low Grade - *off color photo.
    .Third Pic - Straits Settlements, 1910 B 10 Cents - Low Grade - you can only see the date and mintmark when looking very closely, and you can't really see much in the photos....
    .Fourth Pic - Malaya, 1941 .750 Silver 10 cents

I really like the little 1941 10 cents from Malaya... but the 1935 Silver 5 cents that I posted in my last post is my favorite Straits Settlements coin.... I have a few more that I haven't photographed yet, but nothing fancy.
    ----------------------------

Again, BEAUTIFUL 1927 10 cents Jello, I am impressed!
    I hope you can see the quality of my little 1935 Silver 5c, it was hard taking the photos since I didn't want to take it out of the coin flip it is in, so I took them through it..... I will someday and get better shots.

Attached Files:

4. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

thanks!!!

Thanks !!!!!
    but since silver has jump so much I have a very good buddy who has HSV AL only coin shop. the 26 came in as scrap silver I got it for .95cents.
    but the 1927 I payed $3.95 for

I see you have the 41 is that not the last year???
    I seen a few 1890-1910 half & dollar grade Ngc & Pcgs going for more than $100.00 but that too far out of my budget!!!
    being retired is not as fun as most would think!!!

5. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Straits Settlements, Malaya, Malaya and British Borneo, Malaysia

Wow man.... that is some amazing prices you got those coins for.... especially the 1927! That could easily be a 50 USD coin on ebay just the way it is, Straits Settlements are some of the most popular, and at times, expensive coins of the British Commonwealth.... yeah I have seen some certified ones that are quite pricey.... my 1891 10 cents is certified, but by Accugrade, a crappy company most would say, but the coin is nice, and that is what matters to me.

I got my 1926 for scrap price, paid around 50 cents years back, I think I paid around $8 bucks for the nice 1935 silver 5 cents, but I bought it at least 6 years ago. I got the 1910 for scrap price too, long ago, before silver was so pricey. The 1921 Half Dollar I paid around $6 bucks for, again around 6 or 7 years ago, and the 1941 10 cents from Malaya I won at a 'bid board' auction that my local coin shop does every week, and paid $2.00, again this was 6 years ago. The 1891 10 cents of Victoria from the Straits Settlements I paid $15 for around the same time.

And the Malaya 1941 isn't the last year, however, it is the last year of Malaya 10 cent coins being struck in .750 silver though....
    ------------

Info on Malaysian History and money:

They struck coins as the 'Straits Settlements' up untill the name was changed to 'Malaya' in 1939. Then they struck coins under the name 'Malaya', 5c and larger were struck in .750 silver(75% pure silver) from 1939 - 1941, and in .500 silver(50% pure silver) in 1943 and 1945. Then they continued to strike the same denominations in copper-nickel under the name 'Malaya' untill 1950. Then the name was changed to 'Malaya and British Borneo' in 1952, which they struck coins of, similar to those of Malaya and the Straits Settlements but in copper-nickel. Then the country finnally became 'Malaysia' in 1963.
    Modern day Malaysia consists of 'West Malaysia' which is on what is sometimes called the Malay Peninsula, which borders the Kingdom of Thailand to the north, and stretches down to Singapore, and the Straits of Malacca in the South. Malaysia also has two States on the Island of Borneo, these are Sabah and Sarawak. The rest of the Island of Borneo is under Indonesian control.

Also, we cannot forget that in 1942, during the Second World War, the Japanese overtook and occupied the whole of Malaya and Singapore, commiting horrible acts of brutality during the occupation of the country. My Fiance's Grandfather was a Malayan Police Officer when the Japanese invaded his country, I don't know what happened with him during the occupation though, but I know he survived it, unlike alot of unlucky others.
    ------------

I have PILES of modern Malaysian coins from my recent trips there, they stopped using the 1 sen coin( I have a bunch of BU ones of the last years saved), so they round everything up or down now when you buy something, with the 5 sen being the smallest denomination, there is also a 10 sen, 20 sen and 50 sen, and then there is the paper currency, 1 Ringgit (MYR) 5 Ringgit, 10 Ringgit, 50 Ringgit, 100 Ringgit.

I haven't taken pics of any of the modern Malaysian coins yet, but I have a few shots of some of their modern paper money, here is a 1 Ringgit note, 1 Ringgit is worth about .30 cents US, but it still has all the safety features you would expect to find on a larger denomination note. I will include a photo. 'BANK NEGARA MALAYSIA' is Bahasa Malaysia for 'National Bank of Malaysia' and the guy on the note is the first Prime Minister of the country.
    I like the 5 Ringgit notes, they are made out of some kinda polymer or something, and are this light green color, they also have the Petronas Twin Towers on the reverse as well as the Kuala Lumpur international airport. I will post pics in another post after this one.
    Also here are some pics of an AU-Unc. 1961 KN 5 cents coin struck in copper-nickel from 'Malaya and British Borneo'

--------------------------------------------------------

P.S.: If anyone on here (jello?) would like a couple of modern (2000 - ) AU - Unc. Malaysian coins for their collection.... 10 sen, 20 sen et cetera, I would be happy to send them, free of charge, as long as you live in the States or Canada..... PM me if you are interested and I'll see what I can do.... I already have nice examples of all of them saved for my personal collection, and I have a bunch of doubles and others I can part with. And I am always happy to give away coins I don't need to people who do not have any of the type. :)

Attached Files:

6. rexesq

rexesq Senior Member

Malaysia 1 Ringgit and 5 Ringgit notes

here are some pictures of the 1 Ringgit note by itself, without the backlighting that the last picture had to show the safety features. It has the first Prime Minister on the front, and on the back is a scene of a mountainous beach type area and there is a decorated Malaysian style kite flying right close in front to the left, and parts of a Hibiscus flower (National flower of Malaysia) in the center at the top and bottom, if you put one note above the other it will make a full flower.

The last three pictures are of a 5 Ringgit note, the green one I was talking about in my last post. The reverse shows the Petronas Towers, 88 stories tall I think (not positive) the towers have an interesting walkway between the two towers at the 41st floor, quite an interesting feature. The 5 Ringgit note also has a clear see-through area, with part of a Mosque in it(it is a Muslim country and all...). The last picture shows the 5 Ringgit note with the backlighting showing the safety features.... I would add some photos I took on one of my recent trips of the actual Petronas Towers themselves, but alas, only 5 pics per post, and I have already posted twice, so I think that is plenty, unless someone requests to see them.

Malaysia is truly a beautiful country, I love it, my fiance however, who was born there and has lived most of her life there.... not so much...... But it is truly filled with natural wonder, and beautiful flowers and trees everywhere.
    It is a great country despite having some harsh laws and a bit of sanctioned discrimination against Malaysian born non-Muslims.... for instance a Malaysian Indian, born in Malaysia but of Indian descent, like my fiance, has to pay a higher interest rate if she were to take out a loan from a bank than a Malaysian born Muslim would....

Attached Files:

7. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

rexesq:thumb:
    Thank for the info!!
    here a 1941 Newfoundland I just picked up for$1.35
    and it 100deg out of rotation to but how can I do a photo of that?
    I guess I will take a shot using a mirror
    :loud:
    :kewl:

Attached Files:

8. Collector1966

Collector1966 Senior Member

I picked up this cute little silver coin for a song the other day.

Attached Files:

9. Collector1966

1886 Canada 5 cents rescued from a junk box

Attached Files:

10. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Sorry for the dusty pics .

[TABLE="class: ncode_imageresizer_warning"]

[TD="class: td1"]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: td2"]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

[​IMG]
    [TABLE="class: ncode_imageresizer_warning"]

[TD="class: td1"]
    [/TD]
    [TD="class: td2"]
    [/TD]
    [/TABLE]

[​IMG]

panzerman and spirityoda like this.
  11. Collector1966

1868 Austria 10 kreuzer

Attached Files:

12. rzage

rzage What Goes Around Comes Around .

Beautiful , is that a crown sized coin ? And what would an example in MS run ?

13. Collector1966

Actually, it's dime-sized. An MS example wouldn't be too expensive, I think, maybe $10-15.

14. spannermonkey

spannermonkey New Member

I bought these a few weeks ago
    1913 Austrian 10 Corona & 1945 Dod Pesos
    Don't even bother asking about the Lunar Horse (already sold )

[​IMG]

15. bobice

bobice New Member

Can anyone tell me what I found?

Its not pretty but I still would like to know what I found! Any opinions welcome! Coin is size of a dime and made of steel!

Attached Files:

16. Collector1966

You have a 5 pfennig coin from Germany.

17. Collector1966

1964 Japan 1000-yen silver Tokyo Olympics commemorative

Attached Files:

18. bobice

bobice New Member

Thank you!! Very appreciated!...:)

19. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

I put them in a 2x2 and angle one of the staples in an odd angle. It's easy to tell in a pic what the rotation is.

20. d.t.menace

d.t.menace Member

Here's a couple new ones for my silver birth year set.
    54 port 10esc.jpg 54 s africa.jpg

21. History_Chick

History_Chick Member

Its my first proof coin. I'm pretty excited. Yeah its 2011, but baby steps for the newbie :)

IMG_0591.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted