World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

I seem to be developing a "tangent" with these French silver Jetons - they are just so handsome and relatively affordable!
    Louis XV token 1-horz.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Jeton, does that mean something like 'token' in French? Neat coin for sure...

4. PaddyB

Yes it does. In GB we use Jetons more specifically for the Krauwinckel style market tokens, but in France I think they use it for any token.

5. coin_nut

How about these "good for" (bon pour) coins? Are they tokens or actual currency produced by the government? I know, I could research it myself, but just making conversation. 1921 FR 1 f token obv.JPG 1921 FR 1 f token rev.JPG

6. PaddyB

I think these were discussed here somewhere before. I am not sure if the French would refer to them as Jetons or not.
    They were produced by the government but were seen as a temporary measure whilst they waited for the Germans to pay the reparation required for WW1, after which they would return to issuing "proper" silver money. Of course this never happened!

7. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

PaddyB likes this.
  8. Bill57

Bill57 Member

Augustus AR Denarius, Caius and Lucius Caesars, 2 B.C.E. - 4 C.E
    [​IMG]

9. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

Usually I post messages in the Ancient Coin section, but happen to have this 10 Mils from Palestine under British Mandate (Israel), which I find fascinating because the legend is in Hebrew, English and Arabic.

Under the auspices of the British-lead Palestine Currency Board, 59 different coins were minted for circulation in Palestine during the period from 1927 through 1946. Each coin is trilingual, with legends in English, Arabic, and Hebrew. The Palestinian currency was the pound, divided into one thousand mils but the largest coin issued was the hundred mils. The 5, 10, and 20 mils denominations have a hole at the center, don't know why. Other denominations have no hole.

This type was struck from 1927 to 1947; the 1927 is the most common date in all grades.
    The 10 mils coin was issued in copper as opposed to copper-nickel in 1942 and 1943 during WWII so that the nickel could go towards the war effort.

For the Hebrew lettering of Palestine "פלשתינה" on the obverse side of the coin, there is a small acronym after it in brakes "(א"י)", which is shortened for "ארץ ישראל" (Land of Israel), the name used since biblical times to the present by the Jewish People for the geographical area that made up the lands of ancient Judea, the British Mandate of Palestine and later the State of Israel.

Copper-nickel, 1927; mintage 5,000,000 mint not applicable
    27 mm, 6.5 g
    Ref.: KM 4; Schön 4; Aharoni 4

Ob.: Central hole surrounded by (פלשתינה(א"י • PALESTINE • فلسطين
    and date 1927 in English above and Arabic below

Rev.: Around central hole value 10 MILS ١٠
    מילים
    ملات
    encircled by a stylized olive wreath

upload_2020-11-10_21-13-21.png upload_2020-11-10_21-13-32.png
    Maybe I should clean the coin a bit, seems to be quite dirty:oops:

10. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Technically, they're tokens produced for the Chambres de Commerce. In practice and from a collecting standpoint, they're treated as coins.

11. coin_nut

I like those Palestine coins too. I see I have 10 different ones so far. Here is a 1940 100 mils. 1940 GB-PS 100 m obv.JPG 1940 GB-PS 100 m rev.JPG

12. cmezner

cmezner do ut des Supporter

@coin_nut Your 100 Mils is a beauty! Not a frequent one, thanks for sharing:)

coin_nut likes this.
  13. coin_nut

1956 Mexico 20 centavos, a recent upgrade

1956 MX 20 c.jpg

14. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

An upgrade for me. I wasn't looking to upgrade my 64, but I found this gem in an older NGC slab and it is very well struck for the type.

USSR AR Ruble 1924ПЛ
    Y#90.1
    NGC MS65

rouble2.jpg

15. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

I don't collect many world coins, this 1964 Greece 30 DR caught my eye for the intense luster.
    For those of you who know more about these coins. Is the doubling on the OBV common. I can't seem to find anything even on NGC that refers to a DDO.
    upload_2020-11-13_10-54-20.png
    upload_2020-11-13_10-53-59.png

16. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Pulled these two from SAM "Long" Proof Sets (red case; full set has two gold coins) where the LCS had removed the gold and didn't care about the rest of the coins:

South Africa - 1967 Proof 1 Rand.jpg

South Africa - 1968 Proof 1 Rand.jpg

Seems to be a pretty typical (in my experience, anyway) toning pattern - reverse attractively toned, obverse very unattractively toned. The first coin (1967) has such booming luster and complex color patterns I had to add another image to show the pink/honey/orange hues.

17. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

I had several of those SA sets with the 1&2 gold rands, they did tone well in those red felt boxes.

stldanceartist likes this.
  18. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I picked these up in last night's weekly Heritage auction. They were kind of an impulse purchase. Their description is below the photos. These should be fun to research. If anyone has any tricks to attributing them feel free to share. I'm pretty sure that their weight is a typo. Seems pretty heavy for a medieval hammered coin.

France 01.jpg
    France 02.jpg

10-Piece Lot of Uncertified Assorted Deniers ND (11th-13th Century) VF, 18.1-19.9mm. Average weight 9.64gm. Lot includes (7) Besançon Deniers, (2) Philip Deniers, (1) Louis IX Denier.

19. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I have had a few of these and never noticed a DDO. Still have the images from two and neither shows doubling. Cool pickup!

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  20. Bill57

Bill57 Member

Julius Caesar Silver Denarius 44BC Portrait issue

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

21. Crate Digga

Crate Digga Active Member

[​IMG]

Ebay seller mislabeled this as the five centiesmo, but the FV was five times that. Ain't languages confusing... Guess I "stole" it. Should've said something

Draft saved Draft deleted