World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Bought a few sets of uncirculated coins on eBay to get some new types.

Thailand - 1996 set commemorating the King's reign:
    SAM_4879.JPG
    SAM_4880.JPG

Bought a regular issue set to go with it, had a nice surprise when I opened the package and out popped a commemorative 10 baht rather than the regular issue one:

SAM_4881.JPG
    SAM_4882.JPG
    A set of current Yemeni coins. Unfortunately the 1 Rial has been damaged by a rolling machine. It's not a hard coin to find though, so no big deal:

SAM_4883.JPG
    SAM_4884.JPG

And last, a set from Somalia. The 5 and 10 shillings of this series are seen somewhat regularly in bulk, the higher denominations aren't as common to find:

SAM_4889.JPG
    SAM_4890.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

After getting "rolled" in the auctions, I was able to buy this 1937 Two Pound Proof coin via a private treaty. The NGC grade is PR-65*, but my grade is PR-64. No matter. A lot of these coins seem to come with unattractive copper spots, and this only only has one small one. It's got some hairlines, probably from the original case of issue, but nothing too serious.

It's passes the "arms length" test with a great look when you not staring at it with a strong glass or close-up photo. The obverse is cameo, but the reverse is not.

1937 2 pounds 2 O.jpg 1937 2 pounds 2 R.jpg

Now all I need to is the half sovereign to have a complete 1937 George VI coronation set.

4. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

Picked these up as part of a 1952 proof set:
    SA 1Pd 1952 1-horz.jpg SA Hpd 1952 1-horz.jpg

5. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I woke up to an invoice from Kunker. I had bid long enough ago that I had forgotten about it. Got it at a bargain price which is kind of surprising. Now let's see how long it takes to get here.

Germany Frankfurt

GerFra162001.jpg

My only other recent purchase is this Armenian medal from this week's CNG sale. Another relatively inexpensive acquisition.

Armenia 1991.jpg

6. KBBPLL

KBBPLL Well-Known Member

Cool. I have the set in the original packaging, gift from my mother-in-law, 50th anniversary of the previous king's reign, 1996.

Attached Files:

7. yarm

yarm Junior Member

SOUTH AFRICA. Satirical Silver Medal, ND (ca. 1900). Nolte & Co., Berlin. PCGS SPECIMEN-66 Gold Shield.

Hern-202; Obverse: EINMAL SELBER KASTANIEN GEHOLT? UND SO DIR GLEICH DIE PFOTEN VERKOHLT ("For once pulled your own chestnuts from the fire? And in so doing have burnt paws"). Crowned lion (indicating Great Britain) standing left, holding up burnt paw, smoke above. Reverse:Detailing that Great Britain wished to strike down the Boers, but could not achieve victory and thus her big guns were silenced.

Slab SA c1900 satirical c.jpg

8. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Currently soaking in acetone, hope to loosen up some of the black. Probably a hopeless cause but for $3.25 US why not take the chance? Polish_20200816_194355747.jpg

9. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Great looking Canada dime! Better than any I have and at a good price. The black tarnish/toning may stay and the details are very sharp. EF45 I would say.

Razz likes this.
  10. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Thanks hard to get clear focus on these smaller size coins. Will try again after the soak. There is a slight bit of luster in the protected areas. I will try to capture that as well on the retakes.

11. coin_nut

OK, good luck. Then I will say AU50-55 when the luster shows. Not that I am a pro grader, just a generous grader.

Razz likes this.
  12. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

Part of the problem is it is hard to tell how good the photos are until I upload them...still cant see the luster or color as in hand...oh well I think XF 45 to AU 50 is probably about right. Polish_20200816_213109322.jpg

Bradley Trotter likes this.
  13. Razz

Razz Critical Thinker

A 1942 steelie... Polish_20200816_195803171.jpg

A little wear on this one but remarkably clean of marks and scratches considering where this could have been during the war!

Bradley Trotter, PaddyB and coin_nut like this.
  14. coin_nut

Neat looking Italian coin, I have never seen that one before.

15. 2x2 $averKrazy

2x2 $averKrazy Hopelessly coined in

IMG_20200817_014516450.jpg These came in box I was gave, all my friends and family know I'm a coin nut these are a few I thought might be valuable, but I'm not sure,

16. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

very nice

2x2 $averKrazy likes this.
  17. PaddyB

PaddyB Eccentric enthusiast

The top four probably not much value, although I am uncertain which British one the top one is.
    The bottom three are all nice Indian Rupees and have good silver content if nothing else.

2x2 $averKrazy and coin_nut like this.
  18. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Top one looks like an Australia 5 cents to me.

2x2 $averKrazy likes this.
  19. Mr. Flute

Mr. Flute Well-Known Member

20. ZoidMeister

ZoidMeister Hamlet Squire of Tomfoolery . . . . .

Not "new" to me, but recently rediscovered in my hoard . . . . . .

An 1877 Austrian 2 Florin . . . . . .

A beautiful coin in all respects. Ole King Franz Joseph I was an interesting dude himself . . . . .

IMG_0558.JPG

IMG_0559.JPG

21. longshot

longshot Enthusiast Supporter

Nice coin, and I agree that his life was interesting and tragic.

ZoidMeister likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted