World Coins: Your Newest Acquisition!

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by petro89, Mar 29, 2011.

1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

(Belated response)

PCGS plastic, I presume. What's the grade? She's a beauty.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. lordmarcovan

(Another belated response)

You make me pine for my old Aethelred II penny, which I sold back to its original owner last year. I considered it one of my "trophy" coins.

And doubly envious of your Scottish penny, since I still have yet to acquire my first Scottish coin, despite having collected for 44 years and being of Scots-Irish ancestry. Nice grey toning on that one. Maybe I'll get my first Scots coin before the year is out.

Coinsandmedals likes this.
  4. lordmarcovan

OK, yeah, I've been on a bit of a spree. Two pieces of gold in 24 hours, neither of which I expected to win.

I'm into this one for about 2x spot, which some may say is too much on a piece of modern gold. But look at Lord Buddha there. So tranquil... so golden... so ... sold!

Besides, I've never had a coin from Nepal before.

[​IMG]

Pop. 6/2; mintage 15,000.

https://www.pcgs.com/cert/37128569

[​IMG]

Side note: when I was a wee lad, back around '73 or so, my grandmother used to take me to this fancy Chinese restaurant in or near Sarasota, Florida, which was called ... The Golden Buddha. And of course there was a giant golden Buddha statue in there. And swirling dragons and paper lanterns and red lacquer everywhere- all that wonderful stuff. It properly blew my seven-year-old mind, and I declared myself a Buddhist on the spot. I knew nothing of Buddhism, of course. I just totally loved that place. Happy, happy memories.

So there ya go. I just splurged on a golden Buddha.

5. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

6. coin_nut

coin_nut Well-Known Member

Nice one, always good to have more gold. Plus that is a good luck item to have around the house.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

It's just a little dinky thing. But lovely, I think.

8. lordmarcovan

Ha! Look! Old postcards from the Golden Buddha in Sarasota, from around the same era when my grandmother used to take me there!

I found an old menu, too. Entrees had prices from $0.95 to $2.00. (The Maine Lobster off the "American" side of the menu would set you back $3.50.)

This was a fancier Chinese place at the time.

Ahh... Memory Lane. *sigh*

d2f0c41cce9a249eeee07f8e066aecd0.jpg 71aGKamVmDL._AC_SY679_.jpg

9. coin_nut

I read the Chinese characters across the bottom "Gold (something) Alcohol Home"
    That is the Chinese way of calling a restaurant, Alcohol Home. Jiu Jia.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  10. lordmarcovan

Sounds exactly like your kinda place then, right, Ed? :hilarious:;)

Ha, I crack me up. Quick, somebody post another newp before I run this thread completely off the rails!

11. coin_nut

I'll drink to that!

12. TheGame

TheGame Well-Known Member

Been a while since I've posted, got these the other day:

SAM_4356.JPG
    SAM_4357.JPG
    The two Israeli 10 agorots are piedfort proofs.

Close-ups of the South Africa:
    SAM_4359.JPG
    SAM_4360.JPG
    I love the cameo on this one. This is my first South Africa proof.

13. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Ethiopian mule from Emperor Selassie. Found it at the bottom of a box of world coins, and its small size made it difficult to detect. IMG_3212.jpg IMG_3213.jpg

14. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Japan Nagasaki trade.jpg
    Japan, Nagasaki trade coinage. c.1668-1685. Gen Ho Tsu Ho. Hartill EJC 3.176.

Although this coin copies the inscription of a Chinese coin from the Northern Song dynasty, it was actually made at Nagasaki, Japan c.1668-1685. Starting in 1641, Nagasaki was the only port in Japan allowed to trade with Vietnam. They petitioned for the right to cast their own coinage to facilitate this foreign trade, and it was eventually granted, but with the stipulation that the coins could not carry the same inscriptions as official Japanese coins. So, they copied old Chinese coins, which had circulated in Japan for centuries. This type is the most common, but other inscriptions exist. The Nagasaki copies can be distinguished by the different script style from the Chinese originals.

coin_nut, lordmarcovan and Chris B like this.
  15. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

I just received this lot that I had purchased at last weeks Pegasi Numismatics auction. I had bought it because of the wildman coin (kind of my thing). It looked to be better than most and it is. My thought was if I could get the lot for a good price I would keep the wildman and sell the rest.

42A868LG.jpg

I had barely paid attention to the bracteate. Well, I have to say, it is stunning in hand. Kind of a pleasant surprise. It will have to stay with me for a while.

GerAug128803.jpg

Germany-Augsburg
    1288-1302
    Silver Pfennig Bracteate

16. lordmarcovan

The bracteate caught my attention- I zeroed right in on it first, as I have wanted one a while. Haven't yet gotten one. There was a near miss a while back.

Congrats. Cool lot.

17. Chris B

Chris B Supporter! Supporter

It's my first one. I meant to say that. All the more reason to keep it....like I need a reason.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

19. Wizank

Wizank Well-Known Member

Yes, it was estimated to be 80 percent gold.

spirityoda likes this.
  20. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

Canada toned 1940 50 cents, sellers pics...

1940 A.jpg
    1940 B.jpg

Paddy54, Jaelus, Chris B and 3 others like this.
  21. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

I'm jealous, all coins are appealing. Thanks for sharing

spirityoda and lordmarcovan like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted